Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 08:15 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times

Advertisements

I had the same thought Adam expressed after watching Sawyer sing Old Man. He seems like such a sweet, pure soul, but also vulnerable. When he was singing I was thinking about whether he has a career in music or not, he's going to have to face all the temptations that come with both success and failure--the potential for drug and alcohol abuse, assaults on his self-confidence, always yearning for more of everything. We've all seen great young artists succumb to the dark side. I hope that his relationships with the people who love him are strong enough to get him through the rest of his youth.

I think either Sawyer or Meghan will win, but what do I know? I've expected Josh to be eliminated for about the last 4 shows. I think Koryn was better earlier in the show--she's turned into a screamer, IMO. And I can take or leave Meghan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 08:58 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
I hated Koryn's original song. Pharrell didn't do her any favors giving it to her. It was just plain boring. I still think she should win, but I'd be fine with Sawyer winning too.

Like Pharrell said, tho, Sawyer doesn't fit in anywhere. He'd have to make his own place and he's gonna need a lot of help to do that. Is Pharrell up to helping him?

Old 05-19-2015, 09:32 AM

11 posts, read 8,243 times
I have to say Voice 8 was a letdown for me. The obvious will win. I have just checked ITunes. Sawyer got the it factor since his first performance for some people. I like his persona and voice, but I would not have chosen him for the win. Personally, I think the show created a mystique around him with the judges' help after his first performance that the young girls and people who reminisce about old folk songs could not help themselves but fall in love with the hype. I wish there was a talent show for audiences that love R&B/Funk/Soul/Rock/Dance Pop because that's the music I love. I wish all the contestants with success in their music career. I'm just amazed with the taste of the audience for this show. Calling people with strong voices "screamers" is just Wow! I love to sing. I rather have the big voice that can convey a lot of emotions. I blame the show. They need better coaches to show people new ways to use their voice. I will watch next season; I just hope for a more variety of genres.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:33 AM

I apologize that my post posted twice.

Last edited by Who's that Girl; 05-19-2015 at 09:42 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 10:09 AM

I agree WTG, Koryn isn't a screamer. I reserve that for people who screech when they try to hit a high note they're not quite comfortable with and for soprano opera singers. I see Koryn as being powerful and passionate.

The same people don't like Josh because he's not powerful enough.

Sawyer is powerful and doesn't screech, so he's criticized for always sounding the same.

You just can't please everybody. And sometimes you can't please anybody.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:44 AM

Yahoo poll as of noon today.

Spoiler
Thank you for voting!

Joshua Davis 6.33%

Sawyer Fredericks 55.82%

Koryn Hawthorne 9.06%

Meghan Linsey 28.79%

Old 05-19-2015, 11:50 AM

For me, the show needs some improvement. You are right people do have different taste in music, but I'm fair and can casually enjoy other genres that I do not buy. However, I'm not impressed with Sawyer. His voice is average, and he is not a good entertainer. He is all image. I congratulate him on his winning. Bravo! Yes, every week I wished that Joshua went home. He bores me. I wished Koryn sang a poppy Beyoncé song instead of singing so many songs that required her to sing from every inch over her body. Most of all I wish that people who enjoy the genres I love the most voted. I know I might be asking too much.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:14 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
Meh about the folks who are left. I don't see any of these folks, again, having a major career in music.
I agree, I don't see any one of them having a major career in music, except maybe Meghan and even then
a minor one.

I was not that thrilled with this year's picks. All the ones I've liked from previous years have not won, e.g. Taylor John Williams, Sarah Simmons. And, because of the Itunes thang, the fix is in - Sawyer Fredericks
will win...what he will be able to do with it, is anyone's guess.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:47 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I agree WTG, Koryn isn't a screamer. I reserve that for people who screech when they try to hit a high note they're not quite comfortable with and for soprano opera singers. I see Koryn as being powerful and passionate.

The same people don't like Josh because he's not powerful enough.

Sawyer is powerful and doesn't screech, so he's criticized for always sounding the same.

You just can't please everybody. And sometimes you can't please anybody.
I don't know if you're talking to me (and that already sounds huffy when I don't mean it to) but I just think that Koryn was better in the earlier episodes. She has that great big deep voice but it seems like in the last few weeks she's just been trying to out-sing Meghan rather than sing the songs herself. Everything is bigger bigger bigger. She seemed more nuanced earlier. But it could just be me.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:14 PM

Uffda!

Not talking to you in particular. I remember earlier seasons when people accused rock singers and blues singers of screaming too. I always defend them because I dont hear screaming at all. I guess powerful and passionate shreds just grate on some people's nerves like rap does on mine.

Hmmm it does seem to be a female thing, doesn't it? I can't recall anybody saying that about male singers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV