Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 10:39 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
So whether he kills a criminal or innocent is not really important to Dex himself.
That is completely false and if you think that is true you havent been watching the show. A couple of seasons ago he killed someone who turned out to be innocent and he was completely distraught about it.
Especially when he was a teenager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 10:41 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
is it me is does this series seem to be a little tired?
Not in the least bit. Best show on TV and battling Six Feet Under as best show ever in my book. The worst episode of this show is pretty much better than the best episodes or 99% of other shows.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:11 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Not in the least bit. Best show on TV and battling Six Feet Under as best show ever in my book. The worst episode of this show is pretty much better than the best episodes or 99% of other shows.
Well, have you tried Breaking Bad? Dexter is certainly watchable still, but Breaking Bad has redefined TV for me. a few years back we actually subscribed to Showtime just for Dexter alone...but, not everything can continue forever I guess.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:02 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by RjRobb2
Quote:
That is completely false and if you think that is true you havent been watching the show. A couple of seasons ago he killed someone who turned out to be innocent and he was completely distraught about it.
Especially when he was a teenager.
Really?
IIRC Dexter, like most other serial killers, started with killing animals.
What did these animals ever do to Dex?
It was just his luck that Harry found out that Dex is a serial killer so he could channel Dex's urges into only killing criminals in order to avoid the cops.
Otherwise Dex would've emulated other serial killers
Heck the last ep is proof that young Dex idolised serial killers like the toothfairy killer.
Think about it; Dex's chilhood hero is a serialkiller who dumped a victim's body on the sherrif's lawn.
You really believe morality played a deciding factor for young Dex?
If not for Harry's code young Dex would've become exactly like the toothfairy killer.

FYI Dex is not a vigilante who is out for justice; Dex kills because he has the urge to kill.
So if Dex and another innocent person ever ended up on an island with no way off I feel sorry for the other person because Dex will rationalise his murderous craving.
Heck he has done so all the time. The only reason why the majority of the viewers symphatise with Dex is because he only kills criminals.

If Dexter truly was distraught over having had killed an innocent he would've stopped killing altogether because there is always a chance of making a mistake.
But hey, he rationalised his mistake with being human and happily continued with his murderous ways.
Just like any other junky would.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:02 PM

563 posts, read 1,498,704 times
I need to revive this thread. I love this show. We finally subscribed to Showtime and just watched the new episode tonight. It's definitely getting very good, 5 episodes in. Has me looking up info on the bible and things to try to figure out what's happening.

"Would it be weird if I just left" - I love lines like that!!!

Old 11-03-2011, 08:37 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
I like how they portray a spiritual person who is sincerely trying to stay on the path and help others vs. the hard line fundamentalist nut jobs who got off on the wrong path but use the bible to back up their delusions and hatred.

The show is having us believe that people such as Dexter are made, through life experiences and not born that way although some deviants, such as Dahmer seem not to have experiences that led them to their terrible deeds.

To my way of thinking, if it is hard wired there can be no reform, perhaps just chemicals to dull certain areas of the brain. If it is experiences then perhaps there can be a turn around in a person's life.

I wonder if it is at all possible that a serial killer such as Dexter could truly control his impulses enough to target only the bad guys. Had there ever been such a person? Bernie Goetz was not a serial killer. He had no impulses that drove him to kill. He was just fed up with the criminal justice system in NYC at the time and how there was no real effort by the police to effectively deal with the miscreants. I think it was only at 911, when federal law enforcement stepped in that the NYC police got cleaned up.

Has anyone ever heard of a case?

Old 11-07-2011, 12:00 AM

Question Return of the Mack

Or maybe the darkness had never left?
Up untill this ep Dex's dark passenger never had a face.
The fact that his brother the Icetruck Killer is talking to him now instead of Harry means that Dex subconciously acknowledges that he is no different; that he has indeed given in to the darkness.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:12 AM

563 posts, read 1,498,704 times
I'm so interested in why they are bringing the brother back into the show as one of Dexters figments. That seems to have come out of no where; sort of random.
And now more Trinity killer too? Wow. This is a good season. I can't wait for the next episode!

Old 11-07-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by AlaMommy
Quote:
I'm so interested in why they are bringing the brother back into the show as one of Dexters figments. That seems to have come out of no where; sort of random.
Random?
I think it is anything but random.
Heck, Dex is a smart guy and if the Trinity Killer had taught him anything it would've been that you can't be a serial killer and a (loving) father.

Brother Sam is right in telling Dex that he has to let go of his darkness.
Dex becoming a father is a fork in Dex's road that he can't ignore; either he let's go of the darkness in order to become the father Harrison needs or Harrison will eventually fall prey to his dark passenger (by Dex eventually being arrested or worse).
So his brother talking to Dex instead of Harry is a sign of Dex's inner struggle.

Last edited by Tricky D; 11-07-2011 at 06:58 AM..

Old 11-07-2011, 08:35 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaMommy View Post
And now more Trinity killer too? Wow. This is a good season. I can't wait for the next episode!

Well we all know dextrer took care of the real trinity killer, so i suspect that the son is now filling his fathers footsteps and is being a copycat!

I think the story line with the Professor is going to take a twist. Me and the wife think maybe he is really dead, thats why no one has seen nor heard from him in 3 years, and that the nerdy guy( I dont remember his name) is the one that actually talks to him, sort of like dexter and his dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV