Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 05:14 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The morality of the show was taken beyond the morality of vigilante acts last season. Dexter has gone off code and is now killing on behalf of protecting his secrets, not just dispatching those who have eluded the criminal justice system. He killed the motel operator in Nebraska who was blackmailing him. Blackmail is not a capital crime. Dexter is also an aider and abettor in the murder of Captain LaGuerta, who committed no capital crimes.

Dexter has moved from a killer with moral justifications, to a killer with personal justifications.

That is what made Season Seven so fantastic, that change. The producers are deliberately making it harder for the audience to be in sympathy with Dexter, they have fixed it so that there can be no happy ending of any sort.
I love what you wrote, and agree totally. The shift in Dexter's character was somewhat subtle at first, but one that the producers are no doubt beginning to emphasize as they head into the final season. Dexter's dark side is beginning to take over. He is making mistakes, he has broken his code a few times, and has shifted from being the vigilante who takes down the bad guys to one who is flailing, is losing his way, and will not hesitate to kill for personal reasons, rather than previous moral ones.

Caught the first show last night and it's hinting that this season will be a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 10:33 AM

934 posts, read 1,128,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I don't think Dexter would ever take his own life...it's not in his DNA...not even close. I do wonder how this season will play out...but...it sounds like this is the last season??? Is that for sure or am I off on this?

Yes, last season. As it should be, It's overrun itself. But I agree Dexter wouldn't take his own life. But Deb. I can't see Deb continuing to live. She can't live with what she's done. UNLESS something turns her and she just goes over to the dark side completely. In which case she really isn't Deb anymore. But what does happen to Dexter? And Harrison. Does Dexter get killed and Deb raises Harrison?

Old 07-02-2013, 01:44 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Deb's character is difficult because a cop who's seen it all, which they do eventually - dead bodies galore, crooked cops, times when you have to just turn away and pretend you can't see things - you have to live with a LOT on your conscience. Cops have a high suicide rate, there is a lot of psychological stress on the job. I don't understand how she is so devastated by knowing what her brother is.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:11 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I don't understand how she is so devastated by knowing what her brother is.
She was in love with him. Not only did she discover that who she thought he was was a lie, she also discovered that her father wasn't someone she really knew and her memories and perceptions of childhood are a distorted version of the truth. Her identity, and the entire foundation upon which she has built her life, has been shaken and she feels lost and angry.

Her foster brother is a serial murderer, her father deliberately chose to keep his foster son free, knowing he'd become a serial murderer with no guarantee that he'd actually stick to the code, and now Deb herself is a murderer.

I can't think of better reasons to feel devastated.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:18 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
She was in love with him. Not only did she discover that who she thought he was was a lie, she also discovered that her father wasn't someone she really knew and her memories and perceptions of childhood are a distorted version of the truth. Her identity, and the entire foundation upon which she has built her life, has been shaken and she feels lost and angry.

Her foster brother is a serial murderer, her father deliberately chose to keep his foster son free, knowing he'd become a serial murderer with no guarantee that he'd actually stick to the code, and now Deb herself is a murderer.

I agree, she would be totally devastated.
Had a thought, how about if Deb ends up raising Harrison. The last scene very morbid as she watches him do something to show Deb that he has turned out to be like Dexter. How terrible would THAT be? It could very well happen, poor Deb would be stuck in Harry's role.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:46 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I agree, she would be totally devastated.
Had a thought, how about if Deb ends up raising Harrison. The last scene very morbid as she watches him do something to show Deb that he has turned out to be like Dexter. How terrible would THAT be? It could very well happen, poor Deb would be stuck in Harry's role.
That would be a logical ending. However, I've never been able to predict the twists of the show in the past so I suspect the last episode will be a surprise to me as well.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:22 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I don't like Dexter screaming at Harrison. I gotta give the kid actor credit, though, he really looked spooked!

Old 07-02-2013, 08:59 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I don't understand how she is so devastated by knowing what her brother is.
It is more than simply knowing, she has been forced into cooperating with the concealment of his other crimes. After she learned the truth, it was one compromise with her ethics as a police officer after another, all needed to sustain Dexter's cover. Deb also became aware that in the past, Dexter had deliberately used his pistion in the department to frustrate investigations because he wished to save the killer for his table. Trinity could have been arrested much earlier had Dexter shared his knowledge with the department instead of stalking Trinity himself. Trinity claimed several more victims, including Rita, during this time. Deb found herself forced to allow Dexter to continue this sort of practice, because stopping him meant exposing him.

Dexter also frustrated Deb's attempts to put the arm on Hannah.

The climax was Deb having to murder Captain LaGuerta.

All those things were consequences of Deb finding out who her brother is.

How could Deb not be falling apart?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:43 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

Ok, I get it. THanks.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:33 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Real emotion-heavy episode tonight. Things are starting to build up. Michael C. Hall did a good job directing this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV