Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 10:35 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I was super excited about this show, because I'm asian, too, and there is so much humor to be mined from the experience of having parents from another country and living here...

I've been pretty disappointed. I gave up mid-season last year.

Did it get better?
You need to give it a try again. While not overly hilarious, it's still pretty funny, and while Dad is pretty solid, it's Mom that's carrying the show. Probably best not to have sky-high expectations from a situation-comedy, but this is a pretty good show, all things considered..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 11:01 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,483 times
This show just keeps getting cuter and cuter.

I noticed the young boy from Dr. Ken was in the last episode.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:58 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I really like it. The mother is hilarious. She is unabashedly the stereotypical Asian mother. She will make her family into successful, high achievers, or else she will make them wish they were never born. The actress is cute and funny.

Last episode, she tries to turn her son into a tennis star, and there is a good cameo with Billie Jean King.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:04 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Tonight they had a guest -- Heather Locklear, She finally got sorta old looking! :-)

Old 02-22-2017, 05:26 PM

I've really come to enjoy this show, but this past week one thing really bothered me, and I found myself thinking about it 2 days later. At the end of the episode the grandmother (no less) "keyed" someone's car in revenge for calling her old. Not sure that's good to put on a t.v. show with probably a fairly large teen audience.

Or am I being silly?

Old 02-22-2017, 06:29 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,889,316 times
Grandma is played by Lucille Soong. I remember her from her acting days in the 60's. Back in the day she was a quite a looker, mini skirt and all. I guess we all get old.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:30 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,551 times
Yeah, I don't like how the grandma's character is a psycho. I just don't see how that's supposed to be cute or funny. I do like the show overall, though. It's one of the very few sitcoms I can stand to watch more than 5 minutes of.

I like all of the other characters besides the evil grandma. My favorites are the two younger boys- especially the youngest one. He's SO adorable! I like how he & the second-youngest brother are very good and sweet in the show but are also funny.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:21 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
Officially renewed for season 4

Old 05-16-2017, 09:09 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I love this show!
I haven't read all the posts, but the thread started off complaining about the show fostering stereotypes.
Keep in mind that the show takes place in the 1990s and is written as a sort of memoir of life in an Asian family, just like the Goldbergs is a show about growing up in a Jewish family. They are accurate depictions of childhoods as they were experienced.

Anyway, the actress who plays the mother is a total hoot, and her adoring, but long suffering husband is very endearing.
Last episode, mom decided to get her son into a private school, and when mom decides something, there is no stopping her. Dad decides they're buying a house, and Michael Bolton just happens to come along in search of a restaurant investment. Too funny.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I love this show!
I haven't read all the posts, but the thread started off complaining about the show fostering stereotypes.
Keep in mind that the show takes place in the 1990s and is written as a sort of memoir of life in an Asian family, just like the Goldbergs is a show about growing up in a Jewish family. They are accurate depictions of childhoods as they were experienced.

Anyway, the actress who plays the mother is a total hoot, and her adoring, but long suffering husband is very endearing.
Last episode, mom decided to get her son into a private school, and when mom decides something, there is no stopping her. Dad decides they're buying a house, and Michael Bolton just happens to come along in search of a restaurant investment. Too funny.
It's one of my few favorite shows, but I think the characterization of the mother is too extreme. If I were the rest of the family, I'd simply disown and divorce her. And yes, as a principal, I worked with quite a few Asian mothers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV