Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 04:50 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,334 times

Advertisements

It was a nice finale'. The mass gathering of correspondents was somewhat predictable, but well done. I also thought Colbert would make an appearance, but he played a more prominent role than I expected, and his piece was a nice send off.

His final words, 'I'm gonna go get a drink and see you over there' were wonderfully humble. It was nice to see two giants -Stewart and Letterman- go out with such class (though Letterman's retirment was at least several years overdue by his own admission).

I'll certainly miss seeing him, but I do think it was time for him to step aside and let someone else takeover. In interviews he indicated he knew his approach was becoming somewhat stale, which I think has been the case for 2-3 years now. Hopefully Noah will bring fresher ideas, and I'll be interested to see how he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 09:49 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
Too overcome with emotion to even get into 'the feels' that watching finale gave me. Think I'm still in denial,
and it'll only really hit me next Tuesday, when I go to look for Monday night's episode of TDS & there won't be any there there...

It's going to be an awfully long month (or so) until Sept. 8 when Colbert officially takes over Letterman's show.
I miss Stewart already, but I want TDS to return (hosted by Trevor Noah) sooner than two months from now (Sept. 28).
All I'll have (in that vein) to sustain me are the weekly wrap-ups: Bill Maher (Real Time) & John Oliver (Last Week Tonight).

Not quite sure how this will affect The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore in the interim, whether there will continue to be new airings of that to tide me over.
Anybody know what Comedy Central is putting in the 11 p.m. weeknight slot (previously occupied by TDS) until it comes back w/the new host ?
Read on FB that TNS will be on as usual Mon. Aug. 10, though I wonder what the lead-in series will be (since I doubt it'll be 2 mos. of Stewart reruns).

Old 08-08-2015, 11:09 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Thank god Colbert coming on soon... there's nothing on now that holds the ruling class's feet to the fire with humor anyway. I know Maher is on again but I cut the cord this year & don't want to pay for HBO anymore. I hope Trevor is a good fit with TDS, but he is a "cool" personality contrasted to Stewart's "hot" persona, like Carson vs Conan, I suspect it will take a while for us to adjust to that.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:11 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
I came to Stewart late, as I didn't get cable tv until 2010 (!), but I had SUCH great respect for him. What an intellect! His shows usually made me learn and laugh, but just as often broke my heart.

The last show was emotional and uplifting. What a group of nice, smart people.

I'm looking forward to Colbert too, and hope he won't be constrained too much by CBS.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:44 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
I love Progressive love fests , no really..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV