Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 07:22 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times

Advertisements

SNL has not been funny in the last 20 years with their official cast. It's always when they have a guest who has natural comedic timing, charisma, etc. (ie: Justin Timberlake, Tom Hanks, etc). I never found Jimmy Falon to be funny. He always ruined sketches by LOLing at his own jokes.

Eddie Murphy was a letdown. SNL gave him his big break. I wished he would return to the old Eddie Murphy. His last funny movie was the movie "Life" with Martin Lawrence.

I was surprised to see Mike Myers and Dana Carvey together. Those 2 had major beef. Dana accused Mike of stealing the Dr. Evil character from him.

SNL is hit or miss. It all depends on the guest host. SNL was at its best in the early days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 09:28 AM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
The 40 year reunion was pretty good but I was disappointed when Chris Rock built up Eddie Murphy as the man who saved SNL in the 80's. Eddie came out had a few words and that was it? He wasn't even funny?

If Eddie saved SNL in the 80's did Wil Farrel save it in the 90's?

Funny to see Waynes World again. Why, when Myers was doing Lornes voice did he sound like Dr Evil ??

Overall it was a good show but what was that mess where Kanye West did a song laying on his back? Weird.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:12 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times
I think Eddie Murphy has some guilt about his SNL comedy, as it deeply re-enforced black stereotypes (Buckwheat, Mr. Robinson, Be a Ho ect). I think he quit doing that type of comedy for the same reason Cheech quit doing movies with Chong, it was having a negative impact on the image of Mexican Americans. That said, I think Chris Rock had a point with Murphy in that the show could have folded without him. The period after he left the show until Dana Carvey and Dennis Miller joined the show was a dark period for SNL. I think Joe Piscopo deserves some credit too for keeping the show alive in that period, alongside Murphy. Who can forget Joe Piscopo LIVE Saturday night sports on weekend update, and his Frank Sinatra was great. Remember when he sang Ebony and Ivory with Stevie Wonder? Sing along now.

You are black and I am white,
You are blind as a bat and I have sight,
Side by side my amigo, negro, let's not fight.

So touching, and I did not see any of Joe's stuff on last nights show. He should have stayed with SNL a few more years.

Who was the annoying office guy that would mock speech everybody, Dave....Dave Meister, Dave-Atola going across the room to make COPY (machine). I liked that guy. I was very pleased to see Mr. Bill make an appearance on last nights show, and of course Ace and Gary from TV Funhouse. SNL entered another golden age in the 90's with a solid cast and the whole decade was top notch comedy.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The 40 year reunion was pretty good but I was disappointed when Chris Rock built up Eddie Murphy as the man who saved SNL in the 80's. Eddie came out had a few words and that was it? He wasn't even funny?

If Eddie saved SNL in the 80's did Will Farrel save it in the 90's?

Funny to see Waynes World again. Why, when Myers was doing Lornes voice did he sound like Dr Evil ??

Overall it was a good show but what was that mess where Kanye West did a song laying on his back? Weird.
Eddie didn't save SNL. Back in the 80s, you had an upcoming all start cast and excellent writers. The cast of the 80s was awesome. They each had their own comedic style which complimented the other.

Dana stated that he was the one who mimicked Lorne's voice in a Dr.Evil fashion.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:31 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I'm sure William Shatner didn't come bec there was a limit to how
much weight they were allowed at one time on the stage.

Was that so wrong?
I hate it when that happens.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:45 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I think Eddie Murphy has some guilt about his SNL comedy, as it deeply re-enforced black stereotypes (Buckwheat, Mr. Robinson, Be a Ho ect). I think he quit doing that type of comedy for the same reason Cheech quit doing movies with Chong, it was having a negative impact on the image of Mexican Americans. That said, I think Chris Rock had a point with Murphy in that the show could have folded without him. The period after he left the show until Dana Carvey and Dennis Miller joined the show was a dark period for SNL. I think Joe Piscopo deserves some credit too for keeping the show alive in that period, alongside Murphy. Who can forget Joe Piscopo LIVE Saturday night sports on weekend update, and his Frank Sinatra was great. Remember when he sang Ebony and Ivory with Stevie Wonder? Sing along now.

So touching, and I did not see any of Joe's stuff on last nights show. He should have stayed with SNL a few more years.

Who was the annoying office guy that would mock speech everybody, Dave....Dave Meister, Dave-Atola going across the room to make COPY (machine). I liked that guy. I was very pleased to see Mr. Bill make an appearance on last nights show, and of course Ace and Gary from TV Funhouse. SNL entered another golden age in the 90's with a solid cast and the whole decade was top notch comedy.
That's what I got from it also. It goes along the same reasons that, Dave Chappelle quit the "Dave Chappelle show".
Eddie Murphy is a "A list Actor" now worth hundreds of millions of dollars, He doesn't have to do Buckwheat anymore and I respect that.
If I remember right, Eddie and Lorne don't like each other, hence why Eddie has not been back in 30 plus years.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:12 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
So why are they letting Miley, who probably doesn't really keep up with SNL, sing a Paul Simon song when Paul is there??? I can't stand her.
I thought Miley looked a lot like Hillary Clinton. I never made that connection before! She really looked like she was going for the polar opposite look and sound to her recently preferred. Her forced vibrato made it seem like she was trying to mimic someone else--- Belinda Carlisle? And poor Paul Simon and his great song! Heck, poor Paul's face! He now resembles a member of the (Groucho) Marx family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
He came on with Paul McCartney at the very beginning they played a very short song on guitars.
They sounded great together. The two solo performances I've seen Paul LIVE in recent years and he sounded great. I think he had a cold, sore throat, or something else going on. At the end you could see it in his eyes that he knew it was terrible. He usually has the opposite look of happiness and contentment with his performance. Sad. It's now recorded forever on the SNL 40th. The horror of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Paul Simon did a solo of "Still Crazy After All These Years" towards the end for those of you who gave up before he came on. I almost did. There was too much back slapping and praise giving and inside self congratulation. Chris Rock went way over the top saying that Eddie Murphy "saved the show" single highhandedly.

I quit watching after the first cast left and only came back from time to time. I thought the show just got progressively bad although there were some talented people to come out of it. I always enjoy seeing the cast from the 70's all together though.

The one person I really miss is Gilda Radner. She always cracked me up. I think she would have gone far. John Belushi I think was a first class jerk and full of himself. Dan Akroyd was far more talented. I read a brief autobiography a very long time ago in a magazine by Jane Curtin who said that Belushi was very mean to the female cast members. He was always going to Lorne Michaels trying to get them fired claiming women can't be funny.

What he wanted was more air time for himself and felt the sketches the women were in were taking time away from the men and specifically him. The men were in stiff competition to be showcased but none treated the women with contempt as Belushi did. Curtin said she stayed out of the frey but did stand up for herself as did Radner when needed. Newman was the youngest and very intimidated by the men especially Belushi so she held back and her talents were never given the due they deserved.

Anyway, I have been recording the old reruns that have been showing all week on one of the cable channels and I am going to watch the old ones with Steve Martin.
Chris Rock. That was dumb. Gilda. She did go far. Her death was a great loss. She was one of the best SNL members ever! True talent. Too bad they didn't bring Gene Wilder in to pay tribute to her. He would've been good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I miss Jon Lovitz..

I actually wondered if some of the 'banned' folks would be there.. Like Sinead O'Connor.

The musical guests.. All kind of stank. I didn't even care for Paul McCartney tonight. WTF was up with that Kanye thing? talking about the song in a half sized room or whatever that was.

It was an anniversary show.. It was going to be alot of self-love. They could have cut that Californians sketch and made the show a half hour shorter.

Did I miss him, or was there no Dennis Miller?

I'd probably have enjoyed them bringing each eras cast up on stage for 10-15 minutes and just talking to them.

They get Ellen Cleghorn in there, but no Victoria Jackson.. No Rob Schneider.. No Julia Sweeney. I kept hoping for a Shatner appearance.

Kind of thought Buck Henry might show up.. Saw the title card for him..
Shatner! I can't believe they didn't have him on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I thought Jane Curtain looked very good. She's still actively on TV. Gilda was my favorite too. I also remember the TV reporter, Rose Ann Scarmadella that she used to parody. I wish they had included her "never mind" parody during the Weekend Update.

Did the blender really break during the bassomatic skit?

I also didn't understand the big tribute to Eddie Murphy who then made an appearance but didn't do any comedy bits. They also barely included Billy Crystal who was on like 70 percent of each show during his heyday. Lorraine Newman was very underrated and was overshadowed by her co-stars. I don't doubt that Jane Curtin was not taken seriously as she was the "babe."
Yeah. I was expecting Eddie back in some skits. The whole stereotyping excuse? Total bologna! His ego has just inflated to a point where he thinks he's too good to do bit parts/skits. As for Billy, What the heck? He should have had more time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post

Mr. Bill!!! They should bring him back!! He was better than 50% of the past and present cast! LOL!!!

A note to Chevy:
Take better care of yourself. It's time to get healthy, shed those extra 100 lbs., and get back in the swing of things. You're too young to waste away in overweight and ill-health---ville!

Last edited by picklejuice; 02-16-2015 at 11:35 AM..

Old 02-16-2015, 12:07 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,130 times
Yeesh it was fun to watch at times but it was pretty rough overall. They seemed to be all over the place and there was a heavy focus on remembering cast members from the last 10-15 years (the era of the show I could care less about.) Many of the heavy hitter cast members had only bit appearances (Sandler, Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Norm MacDonald, Nealon, Lovitz.)

And did anyone catch Jon Lovitz being in the obituaries? That's like, kind of F-ed up when you think about how it's supposed to a tribute to the dead.

At least Will Ferrell was all over it. Good for him. I have the SNL 25th anniversary special on DVD somewhere and that was way better than this.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Yeesh it was fun to watch at times but it was pretty rough overall. They seemed to be all over the place and there was a heavy focus on remembering cast members from the last 10-15 years (the era of the show I could care less about.) Many of the heavy hitter cast members had only bit appearances (Sandler, Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Norm MacDonald, Nealon, Lovitz.)

And did anyone catch Jon Lovitz being in the obituaries? That's like, kind of F-ed up when you think about how it's supposed to a tribute to the dead.

At least Will Ferrell was all over it. Good for him. I have the SNL 25th anniversary special on DVD somewhere and that was way better than this.
LOL. I agree. The cast from the 80s to early 90s were the best.

MadTv, In Living Color, The Chappelle Show, and Key and Peele were/are better than SNL.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:47 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
I did like how they referenced the Rolling Stone ranking all the cast members.. Robert Downey Jr being last..

'Saturday Night Live': All 141 Cast Members Ranked | Rolling Stone

There's the article if you're interested.

Jon Lovitz.. It was the running joke all night that he was dead, starting with Steve Martin in the monologue.. I see the point about the "In Memoriam" being a tribute to the dead.. But, it is a comedy show.. I think everyone on that list would have had a chuckle about it.

Piscopo.. Would have been interesting to see.. I never thought he was funny.. But.. People like that should have been on as well. Isn't he.. Not doing well?

One thing that I'd criticize about SNL in the past 10 years or so.. People are staying too long. One of the good things is that they had pretty consistent cast turnover.. So, if you went through a lean stretch, it wasn't long before it'd turn around again.

7 years should be about the max.. Phil Hartman was there 8 years, which felt like a year too long.. You look at the longest tenured cast members..

Saturday Night Live cast members - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most all of them are recent. Hammond, Meyers, I don't count Franken because he was more a writer than performer.. Tim Meadows spent about 1 year of his 10 actually on the show...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV