Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:05 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Clearly you know nothing about Julie Andrews. She had a FOUR-OCTAVE range. She had an amazing voice, and I love her music still. The Sound Of Music was the first music I learned on the piano, and it was due solely to her singing talent.

clearly she is on most everyone's play-list ever since records albums first slowed down to 33 1/2...no wait, she isn't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 08:06 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,887 times
Most of these modern day singers all sound the same to me , until they sing some of the classics then you can actually hear their voice .

Old 02-23-2015, 08:12 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Julie Andrews...oh yeah, didn't she get a boob job in order to appear topless in '10' and S.O.B?
Who cares? She's wonderful!

You never saw Mary Poppins? The Americanization of Emily? Thoroughly Modern Millie?

By the way, I don't think she had a breast augmentation. Maybe she just didn't like her squeaky clean image and wanted to show everyone that the hills were still alive.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:23 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Julie Andrews...oh yeah, didn't she get a boob job in order to appear topless in '10' and S.O.B? not so classy and certainly not very talented

Julie Andrews - The 25 Grossest Nude Scenes In Movies | Complex

Julie at 79 looked absolutely radiant on the Oscars last night.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:28 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Agree x one thousand...who knew she was hiding such a beautiful operatic voice behind all the electronics. I'm ready to seek out more of her lesser known work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Never been to an actual opera, eh?

Gaga did a nice job and much better than I imagine most expected. And tasteful to boot. But to suggest she has operatic range is silly.

I've been to the Met in NYC. Does that count?

FYI, sarcasm is the lowest form of humor and something I hate to stoop so low to as to engage in it.

An educated person would simply disagree with the opinion of another without one-upsmanship. In other words, disagree politely without attacking another poster.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 02-23-2015 at 09:28 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 08:35 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
clearly she is on most everyone's play-list ever since records albums first slowed down to 33 1/2...no wait, she isn't

Honestly, didn't you expect Gaga to pull out a monstrous appendage from underneath that fancy dress of hers last night?

Old 02-24-2015, 01:57 AM

298 posts, read 299,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
This morning on GMA the commentators all mentioned what a good job Common did last night and not one mentioned Legend, including Robin Roberts. I think many agree Legend should sing and otherwise shut up.

So sorry to hear that a black man made you feel a tad bit uncomfortable by talking about racism.

Their live performance was probably the best I've ever seen, on TV or otherwise. Their speeches following the award were completely appropriate. To thank agents and lawyers afterward would have been entirely inappropriate.

May you and all who agree with you someday find a cause as worthy to fight.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:58 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Most of these modern day singers all sound the same to me , until they sing some of the classics then you can actually hear their voice .
You are correct! Some of the present day singers spend too much time screaming into the mic, or bending over and screaming while holding their stomach as though they're having a colitis attack. The way Lady GaGa sang the songs from The Sound of Music proves she can sing.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:00 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
You are correct! Some of the present day singers spend too much time screaming into the mic, or bending over and screaming while holding their stomach as though they're having a colitis attack. The way Lady GaGa sang the songs from The Sound of Music proves she can sing.
that was my thought exactly--before I considered her more performance artist than singer--
I just find it really strange she had to practice for so long to learn how to sing a song that someone like Jennifer Hudson or Idena Menzell would have gotten in 2-3 run throughs...

and re modern singers---most of them are so over modulated in studios that we aren't hearing their voices really at all--
even in concert I think most people know they are listening to something canned...

Old 02-24-2015, 11:28 AM

828 posts, read 908,056 times
I would bet Lady Gaga was lip-syncing. I was very, very moved by the performance either way, but I would have much preferred a less-perfect, but live, sound than a perfect performance that was lip-synced. And no, I am not 100% positive, but I think if you look closely at the clip on youtube, you'll probably agree.

Interestingly, I did not get the same impression from Jennifer Hudson, though she may have just hidden it better. I read somewhere that the Oscars request that performers lip-sync, but don't know if that's accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV