Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 07:34 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Appreciate Sharna’s partner’s service but I still don’t think this is the competition for folks with missing limbs. During Derek’s season with the first double amputee there were a lot of props & carrying the ‘star’ instead of dancing.
DWTS has always felt like a carnival freak show ... not that I consider these people freaks, but they always seem to have a slot saved for someone with some form of disability. We've had deaf, missing a leg, missing two legs, now missing a leg and an arm. I'm sure that if the folks at ABC could figure out a way to get a quadruple amputee on the cast, they would. It's exploitative and shameful, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I thought Demi was a few row back, off to the side. Was that her bf? Another youngster?! She is still beautiful.
No, she was a row behind, a few seats to the side. There was one shot where they panned from Bruce directly to Demi.

They seem to have managed to stay friendly, which I admire.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:22 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,844,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It's exploitative and shameful, IMO.
If words could describe how hurtful, I think your post is. The man is a hero and so strong in spirit. Losing limbs for any reason, has to be a human nightmare. To overcome this and go on to compete in sports, dancing, makes me want to get up off my chair and do something, get outside and live!!

My thanks and heartfelt hope for all wounded vets, in mind, body and spirit. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

We take for granted all the gifts we have and this man went to battle, so we could hopefully have peace some day. He is a hunk, and again, thank you!!!!!

Old 03-17-2015, 09:03 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I missed tonight, anyone know if it'll be re run?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
If words could describe how hurtful, I think your post is. The man is a hero and so strong in spirit. Losing limbs for any reason, has to be a human nightmare. To overcome this and go on to compete in sports, dancing, makes me want to get up off my chair and do something, get outside and live!!

My thanks and heartfelt hope for all wounded vets, in mind, body and spirit. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

We take for granted all the gifts we have and this man went to battle, so we could hopefully have peace some day. He is a hunk, and again, thank you!!!!!
I don't read it as offensive and many of us have said we appreciate his service & sacrifices. I do lean towards exploitative but not shameful if the disabled person wants to try it. However I don't think DWTS is the fair & equal stage to try it on with the amputees we've had. No way can a disabled person compete on a level playing field with a healthier body person. I say this as a disabled person I know what my limits are and what I can still do with the best of y'all.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:17 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Her name is Charlotte -- his name is Keo. I liked him for the brief time he was on last season and was hoping to see more of him this season. However, I was put off by all the kisses he planted on her cheeks. I started counting when it became noticeable and there were at least 6-7 after that point. And I agree about her.
OMG, I am glad you said that. I kept wondering if he was just going to make out with her. She seemed to be pulling away from him uncomfortably by the end of it, so maybe it got to her to.

I found it silly how in their little promo they joked about putting tape around her chest to calm them down, and then they end up putting her in a bustier that pushed her up and out and made her look even bigger and bubblier. Yeah, we know why you're on the show.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post

You COMPLETELY misunderstand my post. I'm not questioning HIS motivation for doing it. I question the show's motivation for having these people on.

If these people are approaching DWTS and saying "I'd like to be on your show," that's one thing. But it's more like DWTS is going out and trying to find their next disabled contestant to have someone else to exploit.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I don't read it as offensive and many of us have said we appreciate his service & sacrifices. I do lean towards exploitative but not shameful if the disabled person wants to try it. However I don't think DWTS is the fair & equal stage to try it on with the amputees we've had. No way can a disabled person compete on a level playing field with a healthier body person. I say this as a disabled person I know what my limits are and what I can still do with the best of y'all.
It's definitely not shameful of the dancer to go out and prove that they're capable. I applaud them.

But DWTS always has to make a big deal of having contestants who are overcoming something. Disability, large size, advanced age, gender identity. There has to be some big focus on what a challenge it is for them. It just feels like an obvious gimmick on the producers' part.

I mentioned it in the other post, but I'll say again for clarity ... I'm NOT judging the dancers for doing it. Kudos to all of them! I AM however cynical of the producers' motivation for having them on.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:59 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Quote:
DWTS has always felt like a carnival freak show ... not that I consider these people freaks, but they always seem to have a slot saved for someone with some form of disability. We've had deaf, missing a leg, missing two legs, now missing a leg and an arm. I'm sure that if the folks at ABC could figure out a way to get a quadruple amputee on the cast, they would. It's exploitative and shameful, IMO.

How very tacky. You say you dont consider the disabled "freaks" but you call DWTS "a carnival freak show" because they're on it.

There have been very few seasons in which a disabled person participated. I think the first one was Heather Mills in Season 4. Then Marlee Martin in Season 6. Then J R Martinez won Season 13 -- and his disability came from having been burned so badly. Amy Purdy, of course, nearly won Season 18. And now the awesome Noah Galloway on Season 20. That's 5 disabled participants out of @ 240 total.

I enjoy watching those who have especially difficult struggles compete. The show's producers apparently accept only those who have a decent chance of keeping up with everyone else.

What's shameful is the obvious bigotry of some viewers.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
How very tacky. You say you dont consider the disabled "freaks" but you call DWTS "a carnival freak show" because they're on it.

There have been very few seasons in which a disabled person participated. I think the first one was Heather Mills in Season 4. Then Marlee Martin in Season 6. Then J R Martinez won Season 13 -- and his disability came from having been burned so badly. Amy Purdy, of course, nearly won Season 18. And now the awesome Noah Galloway on Season 20. That's 5 disabled participants out of @ 240 total.

I enjoy watching those who have especially difficult struggles compete. The show's producers apparently accept only those who have a decent chance of keeping up with everyone else.

What's shameful is the obvious bigotry of some viewers.
And here's someone else who is missing the point of my post.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:19 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:

His children were adorable, and he seems like a gem but it is exploitative and manipulative.

Personally, I'm beginning to get outraged over this. Valerie Harper, elderly contestants, Heather Mills, the skiier who lost both legs, this season's amputee...

Every season, there's an obligatory inspiration. Enough already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV