Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 11:45 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

I really honestly miss that show, it was the first show in many years that challenged and stimulated the mind...and being it was so honest and they chose past events to write about, my thoughts are, the reason they took the show off was b/c Sorkin was pressured to do so, due to the brutal honesty of the show.

It was the best show on TV.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 02:17 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Yea I miss it too

Old 03-04-2015, 05:35 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
, the reason they took the show off was b/c Sorkin was pressured to do so, due to the brutal honesty of the show.
The reason that HBO canceled the series was that it was an expensive program to produce which was drawing too small an audience to justify the production costs.

Where did you get that business above about pressure and brutal honesty? If more people had watched, it would still be on the air.

That said, after what I thought was a so so first season, the show got a great deal better in season two and was showing promise. I still have season three to watch, but I'm sorry that there will be no more after that.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The reason that HBO canceled the series was that it was an expensive program to produce which was drawing too small an audience to justify the production costs.

Where did you get that business above about pressure and brutal honesty? If more people had watched, it would still be on the air.

That said, after what I thought was a so so first season, the show got a great deal better in season two and was showing promise. I still have season three to watch, but I'm sorry that there will be no more after that.
I'm sorry, I don't believe everything I hear, and I'm just guessing, but a lot of people feel that Sorkin got a lot of slack...because he was so honest and wrote the truth into the issues he used....I believe people were waking up to the truth, especially with Jeff Danials first show and speech, that is what hooked me, I haven't even heard one politician talk like that....people live in this protective plastic bubble away from the rest of the world, discounting reality and the greed that is going on...they have become lazy minded and have no clue what is really going on out there b/c their only source of information is the lying liberal media. I lived during the time of informed news reporting, when anchor men were reporting the truth....it was a silent code of theirs...even though at the time, they were democratic....now a days, they report the owner's viewpoints.....and of course, lean heavily towards the liberal politicians....

Old 03-05-2015, 05:43 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
I enjoyed this show too. Great cast, interesting stories. Fun to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Not true at all. Aaron Sorkin didn't want to do any more. He was tired of writing it. He went to HBO after the second season and told them he was out. HBO didn't want to let him go, and convinced him to do one more season. The compromise was a shorter season, fewer episodes.

Sorkin has a million irons in the fire--TV shows, movies, books, screenplays, etc. He didn't want to be tied down to doing this series forever.

HBO did not cancel this series. They were losing a couple other series at the same time, and really didn't want to lose this too.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I enjoyed this show too. Great cast, interesting stories. Fun to watch.

Not true at all. Aaron Sorkin didn't want to do any more. He was tired of writing it. He went to HBO after the second season and told them he was out. HBO didn't want to let him go, and convinced him to do one more season. The compromise was a shorter season, fewer episodes.

Sorkin has a million irons in the fire--TV shows, movies, books, screenplays, etc. He didn't want to be tied down to doing this series forever.

HBO did not cancel this series. They were losing a couple other series at the same time, and really didn't want to lose this too.
yes, that is the story HBO gave...however, I still wonder, b/c the things he was writing into the show, were extremely open wide....and I don't believe the powers that be, were to pleased with that...you see, I believe we are brainwashed particially by TV and movies...and shows like that, would definately cause a ripple effect, and make people not only more aware, but smarter....they don't want us to know what is really going on....and Sorkin wrote about a few issues that were absolutely true.

Even Jeff Daniels, what he said in his first speech, that my friend, is what hooked me....Sorkin had an agenda and the powers that be didn't like it....and if you go into their web page, you will see tons and tons of people writing who are angry it went off the air, way to many, to warrant, that it didn't have a lot of followers....

I mean, I like the Walking Dead, and Outlander, but they surely do not offer the realistic intellectual side like Sorkin's Newsroom did.

I thought if people started watching this, they'd surely start waking up.....

and here is another thought, talk about fear....here is another thought, to ponder....I mentioned to a pretty intellectual co-worker about the show in it's first season.....and yanno what his answer was? It's way to liberal....????? My reply was, yes, it shows a real life Newsroom and of course some of the characters are liberal, however, Sorkin managed to write in both sides of politics, as it is in any work place in life, he was able to prose both sides of the coin very well....so this co-worker didn't get it...and feared watching it? Unbelievable, how totally ingrained fear is in people that they are afraid to look at both sides of the coin....and believe me, I'm very conservative.

The show was outstanding, and I actually got a lot of people to watch it, and they loved it. Why? Because people whether they know it or not are hungry for intelligent shows, not these damn reality shows, and the gossip shows....can you believe that some of those shows get enough ratings that they are still on?

Doesn't that speak volumns about society's intellect?

They don't want people to get it.....if more people did, they'd be out of jobs pretty quick.....most people have no clue as to how corporations and consultants are running the U.S.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:47 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
yes, that is the story HBO gave...however, I still wonder<snip>
You can wonder all you want, but it was widely reported, in a variety of different places, about the struggle between HBO and Sorkin. He really wanted out, and they really wanted one more season. Had it been different, someone would have spilled the beans. There are a lot of "leaked" stories in H'wood, because insiders love exposing secrets. There were no secrets to spill here.

Just because you "wonder" doesn't mean there's any validity to the wondering.

I'll leave the rest of your diatribe to someone else to discuss.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
You can wonder all you want, but it was widely reported, in a variety of different places, about the struggle between HBO and Sorkin. He really wanted out, and they really wanted one more season. Had it been different, someone would have spilled the beans. There are a lot of "leaked" stories in H'wood, because insiders love exposing secrets. There were no secrets to spill here.

Just because you "wonder" doesn't mean there's any validity to the wondering.

I'll leave the rest of your diatribe to someone else to discuss.
don't you think I know that???? My Gosh, why is it people have this crazy sensation they have to prove other people wrong, by being mean and at whose expense???? Huh?

I'm not saying your wrong, I don't know if I'm right, simply thinking out loud, but I ask you, what do you gain by coming into a thread and trying to prove someone wrong...where is the humanity any more? That is your thoughts and feelings on the subject, and I respect that, however, by trying to put someone down by being mean to them, well, it's no wonder our kids today are bullies.

I don't really care what anyone else thinks, and least of all, what you think

So, now do you feel like a much bigger and stronger person then me?

pathetic!

You'll leave the rest of my diatribe to someone else....how nasty.
Please do!!!!!!
and don't let the door hit you on your way out...please

I see your new, you might be wise to learn how to write others with a little kindness and respect even if you don't agree....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 03-06-2015 at 04:17 AM..

Old 03-06-2015, 05:49 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times
Quote:
don't you think I know that???? My Gosh, why is it people have this crazy sensation they have to prove other people wrong, by being mean and at whose expense???? Huh?

I'm not saying your wrong, I don't know if I'm right, simply thinking out loud, but I ask you, what do you gain by coming into a thread and trying to prove someone wrong...where is the humanity any more? That is your thoughts and feelings on the subject, and I respect that, however, by trying to put someone down by being mean to them, well, it's no wonder our kids today are bullies.

I don't really care what anyone else thinks, and least of all, what you think

So, now do you feel like a much bigger and stronger person then me?

pathetic!

You'll leave the rest of my diatribe to someone else....how nasty.
Please do!!!!!!
and don't let the door hit you on your way out...please

I see your new, you might be wise to learn how to write others with a little kindness and respect even if you don't agree....
LOL at calling astrohip new!! They've been a member for 7 years, only 1 year less than you.

Now, to the topic at hand. I tried watching the first season. Couldn't get into it. I'm not a Sorkin fan. You can say what you want about him writing both sides of the issues, but he's liberal through and through, and the liberal viewpoint always won out on this show. Made it very tough to watch. I'm glad it's cancelled.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:29 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
I enjoyed The Newsroom, though I don't think it ever achieved the quality of The West Wing or Sports Night.

I'm a Sorkin fan. I love his stuff. But his most glaring weakness as a writer is that he does tend to be rather preachy at times in his characters' dialogue. There's a time and a place for that, but occasionally Sorkin's writing forsakes all subtlety and just hits you over the head with it. He's much better when he's subtle.

But the reason I continually love him is that he admires intelligence. 90% of TV appeals to the lowest common denominator. TV Comedy is based entirely around stupidity. Sorkin doesn't do that. He admires intelligence and writes smart characters. We need more of that on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV