Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 08:39 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,647,276 times

Advertisements

considering how dumb tv has gotten I find it amazing that a show like jeopardy is doing well.not a comment just an observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 09:24 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
I like Jeopardy!, too. Still, even it has been dumbed-down.

There was a time when pop culture (TV, Movies, Celebs, etc.) categories were rare. Then they appeared on occasion. Soon, there was a pop culture category in every show, in either the first or second round. Now it's not uncommon to find them in both rounds. Add to that the overused placement of hints within quotes as the question (or answer lol) is revealed, and you have a very different show today.

As I said, I'm still a fan, but the pop culture obsession has encroached on this show as it has every other.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:59 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
I stopped watching Jeapordy! when my hubby died 3 years ago. It is no fun to watch anymore. Sounds like I wouldn't do so well anymore. I don't "do" pop culture much. I couldn't care less about things like the Kardashians, etc.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:09 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,647,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

There was a time when pop culture (TV, Movies, Celebs, etc.) categories were rare. Then they appeared on occasion. Soon, there was a pop culture category in every show, in either the first or second round. Now it's not uncommon to find them in both rounds. Add to that the overused placement of hints within quotes as the question (or answer lol) is revealed, and you have a very different show today.

As I said, I'm still a fan, but the pop culture obsession has encroached on this show as it has every other.
I sometimes watch the high school quiz bowls and its mostly pop culture(music/sports) questions, when they ask a science or history question they just get blank stares from the kids.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:25 PM

101 posts, read 103,548 times
I love Jeopardy. It's actually one of the rare shows that my whole family will watch. No worries of being risqué.

I am beginning to ponder what will become if the show when Trebek retires. I am trying to think if a logical replacement. Price is Right was never the same, for me, after Bob Barker left.
Trebek even more so adds to the whole feel of Jeopardy.

Last edited by heyitsjulie; 03-14-2015 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Add further comment

Old 03-14-2015, 12:58 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsjulie View Post
I love Jeopardy. It's actually one of the rare shows that my whole family will watch. No worries of being risqué.

I am beginning to ponder what will become if the show when Trebek retires. I am trying to think if a logical replacement. Price is Right was never the same, for me, after Bob Barker left.
Bill Nye, the science guy?

Old 03-14-2015, 03:03 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Oh wow, so it isn't just me? I stopped watching it because I don't know all the current pop culture answers and questions either and I also thought the questions were getting too easy. I saw a few older episodes recently, the original ones with Art Flemming, and it was much harder. There was a lot more history, contestants had to know more dates and quotations from literature. It seems like there is always a film or TV category in just about every Jeopardy game now.

Remember when every contestant would get the "home verision" of a game show as a prize?

Old 03-14-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:

We've often thought the same thing about Trebek. And I bet he's disenchanted about how easy those pop culture questions are, but the young "clue crew" rule the roost around there. They even tried to get him to color his hair, but he refused. Good for him.

He's very knowledgeable. Heck, he even knows all about the contestants' wrong answers.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:22 AM

16,661 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:

Not to worry! Alex Trebek just signed a contract extension. He'll be doing the show for a few more years.

Does anybody know if the thing with only one contestant left for final jeopardy was a first? I don't ever recall seeing that happen before.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Not to worry! Alex Trebek just signed a contract extension. He'll be doing the show for a few more years.

Does anybody know if the thing with only one contestant left for final jeopardy was a first? I don't ever recall seeing that happen before.

It wasn't a first, but it's rare enough to be noteworthy. Another weird rarity is when three new contestants return because, after Final Jeopardy, the three playing end up with "0." I saw that once, but don't remember whose hand Trebek shook first at the game's conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV