Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 10:07 AM

19,601 posts, read 20,042,882 times

Advertisements

'Head of the Class' was awesome! Arvid was the perfect 80s nerd and love how Dennis became a "cool" nerd after playing Ricky in 'Better Off Dead"... lol. I'm surprised this isn't on dvd...? Mr. Moore (WKRP) and Billy were both great as teachers & role models on this show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 12:07 PM

4,712 posts, read 5,918,570 times
I remember liking the show back in the day, but I didn't go out of my way to watch it.

The problem with shows about high school is that most of the kids playing high schoolers are already a few years too old for high school, and by the time the show gets done with 3-4 years, the audience is attached to the students, even though it may be about the teachers, and the students look way too old for high school.

So, the choices are for the showrunners to bring in new students for new storylines, or else follow the kids as they go off to college - however, if I'm not mistaken, Head of the Class is in NYC. And, while NYU and Columbia are excellent schools, you can't send every genius kid to local colleges, especially since some would want to go to MIT, Harvard, Yale, Northwestern, Stanford, Duke, etc, instead of staying local. If you bring in new students, what happens to the old ones? Do they have an occasional guest role ("Hi, I'm home for the weekend from MIT... again.")? And, you risk alienating fans who became attached to the original students (Didn't the Glee showrunners get death threats when the show wasn't 100% about the kids that had just graduated?)

Not an easy choice to make, and I don't remember what happened with Head of the Class, since it was on for 6 years? My guess is that the kids went on to college and the new kids were less popular with the audience and the show scraped by that last year or two.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:22 PM

17,473 posts, read 17,314,892 times
The photo was after the original stars of the show were changed out. The difference between this show and WBK is WBK students were like special ed troubled students and HOTC were the bright students. What I liked about the original is though the students were book smart, they still had a lot to learn about life from their teacher. One memorable episode involved the teacher bringing in a former secretary of state (a character based upon Henry Kissinger). The students kept asking him about facts and dates when he wanted to tell them stories about what was happening during those times. Howard Hessman was at his best as this teacher, though not as funny as when he was on WKRP in Cincinnati. The show did have some people who went on to bigger things.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:57 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,705,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217
'Head of the Class' was awesome!
Yes I suppose for what it was,YES IT WAS!!!!! (It was a hit)

Old 03-22-2015, 03:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,319,152 times
Shows don't get released on DVD or on cable don't wind up doing so not necessarily for reasons of popularity. There are other good shows in that category I'm sure. Some reasons could be legal and things of that nature.

I agree this was a good one and would love to see it again.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:10 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,802,542 times
I loved that show! Remember the musicals they would do? Funny how all of them could sing and dance.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:07 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,389,287 times
always wondered why there was never really anything much on the internets of this show video wise

i used to watch head of the class, lol arvid, dennis, eric, darlene, sarah etc

mr moore then later billy

anyways, stuff dont just come out on dvd for a bunch of reasons. if it ever comes out it will probably be someone like Rhino/Shout factory as they have managed to put out some random titles

Old 03-22-2015, 10:17 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,797,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
always wondered why there was never really anything much on the internets of this show video wise

i used to watch head of the class, lol arvid, dennis, eric, darlene, sarah etc

mr moore then later billy

anyways, stuff dont just come out on dvd for a bunch of reasons. if it ever comes out it will probably be someone like Rhino/Shout factory as they have managed to put out some random titles
I was just informed tonight it's 16 episodes from season 1 on youtube.com

Old 03-23-2015, 07:08 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,943,831 times
I remember that show."rain pryor". I would prefer square pegs

Old 03-24-2015, 11:28 AM

19,601 posts, read 20,042,882 times
One thing about alot of these 80's sitcoms - they always had a message and a lesson. They tackled some pretty serious issues in a way that kids could both understand & relate to. You just don't see that kind of thing anymore...not in that particular way, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV