Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:24 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I wouldn't watch Shark Tank with your eyes.
Sad for you. I wouldn't miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 12:28 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
I seem to recall it started out in the week, like Tuesday at 10:00 or something. I do know it's been on Sundays for a long time. I don't see them changing it, particularly because it functions as a prime time show for them and gives them an advantage over the other networks.

While we're on the topic of 60 Minutes, does it bug you guys the way it bugs me to see them list an episode as "New" only to find out that it's one new segment out of three, or three old segments with an update at the end?

Old 03-26-2015, 07:29 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,227,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
People need to keep this in mind about 60 minutes

You cannot DVR 60 minutes during these months due to sports programming

September
October
November
December
January
March
Sure you can, just pad the recording. One hour will do it.

I don't watch 60 minutes, but over the years have watched many shows that follow. Pad one hour, and you're ok. That's the max CBS will overflow. If it goes over an hour (and that HAS happened on rare occasion), they will pick one show to drop.

Also, you can subscribe to CBS-Eye Alert, and it will notify you of delays on an almost instant basis. IOW, if it's running over, you get a notification right then & there. I don't use it because I pad my TiVo, but I used to.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
While we're on the topic of 60 Minutes, does it bug you guys the way it bugs me to see them list an episode as "New" only to find out that it's one new segment out of three, or three old segments with an update at the end?
Very deceptive!! Ever make you wonder how honest some of the reporting is?

Old 03-26-2015, 09:09 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
The worst is when they're behind schedule and when the game finally ends they cut to another game.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
The worst is when they're behind schedule and when the game finally ends they cut to another game.
That is annoying. But the worst is when they interfere with my TV viewing. When 60 Minutes or Madame Secretary end at say 23 minutes after the hour and you do not want to watch the next CBS show then what???

Old 03-26-2015, 02:28 PM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
I guess I like sports well enough that I don't care if a program following a live sporting event starts a few minutes late. Plus there are many, many other things to worry about ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
This comes up periodically, but CBS believes that having the delay from sports programming gives them better ratings for all the rest of the shows that follow as those without DVRs will sometimes choose to stay on CBS as the show starts are now out of sync. I can't imagine just staying on a network's shows for that reason, but I have seen CBS execs say in interviews that they have data to back it up.
If you want to watch a show, you'll wait for it to come on. It's easy enough to figure out when a subsequent show will begin based on when the sports event ends.

That said, with the NFL in particular, CBS needs to extend its coverage to 7:30 Eastern if not 8. The late games, and the following wrap-up coverage, are rarely over before then. But either the network reduces the number and duration of the TV timeouts, or it eliminates a half hour or an hour of prime time. Neither is going to make the bean counters too happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Anyone hear of streaming? anyone? anyone?
Ever hear of broadcast television? Anyone? Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The way I understand it, several years ago, NBC was about to premier a new TV Show so they cut off the rest of an all but decided football game. After they cut off coverage, the other team came back and won a miraculous victory, and everybody went nuts 'cause they missed it, thus, the reason for sports being given priority.
The only thing you got right here was NBC. Perhaps you should read the entire thread before commenting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Shows are delayed because of the Heidi Game
Heidi Game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
News flash, CBS: Every time you do this, you lose a viewer for the entire evening in this house.
*shrug* The networks gains/retains more viewers than it loses. Otherwise it wouldn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
For the same reason, I bet one part of the calculus of social media and reality television is driving up the imperative to watch live, so the results aren't spoiled by social media posting before you watch the recording.
Good point.

Quote:
The coverage -- of all games in that time slot -- has to end at the same time. The shows following NFL coverage can't start until all the games are over, not just the one you're watching.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:41 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

The coverage -- of all games in that time slot -- has to end at the same time..
And what time would that be?

Old 03-27-2015, 06:38 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
And what time would that be?

7:30 pm to 8:30pm

Old 03-27-2015, 11:00 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,135,660 times
What a bunch of whiners!!!.....just set your DVR to record the next three shows after the sporting event to ensure your program gets recorded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV