Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:01 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

I first signed up for Acorn's free preview to watch the second season of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (before it was on Netflix) and kept it because it has the kind of old-ladyish English language programming that is relevant to my interests.

In addition to Miss Fisher, from down under I've watched AnZac Girls, A Place to Call Home, and Serangoon Road. I've watched a ton of British mystery series: Cracker, Blue Murder, the final episodes of Poirot and Foyle's War. Over the holidays I became obsessed with Time Team.

Looking over that list it makes me happy that spring is here and I can stop staring at my idiot box so much, but Acorn's definitely worth the $5/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 02:39 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times
Yes!

Old 05-11-2015, 12:26 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Will Acorn play on a PS3, or do you have to have a Roku?

Old 05-11-2015, 02:59 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,067 times
I was able to catch all the original seasons of Poirot through to his final episode. It's still there, season 1-13. I had already see 'Miss Fisher' with PlayOn access.

Oh yea, there a program called 'The Hour' - absolute premium (YMMV). Two seasons.
Just saw 'The Driver', a bit tedious but got good
'The Brief', for some reason I really liked that
'Lipstick on Your Collar' was fun
'The Palace', must have more seasons, it just ended too soon'
'Kidnap and Ransom', among the best of anything
'Jeeves and Wooster', now here is the high life in the isles

WARNING: Stay away from 'Jamaica Inn', you'll wonder how England might have survived at all. I watch two ep's and just couldn't bear it anymore.

I binged on a lot of programming my first year with AcornTV then laid off a year. So there's been a lot of other good shows I can no longer recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Will Acorn play on a PS3, or do you have to have a Roku?
From the Acorn dot TV /help/faq

Quote:
What are the system requirements for Acorn TV?

You can watch Acorn TV through a Roku box, Samsung Smart TV or Blu-ray player, iOS device, or via a web browser connected to the Internet, and configured as described below:
  • Browser: at or above - Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 20, Safari 5, Chrome 27, or Opera 12
  • Browser Plug-ins: Most recent versions of JavaScript for your browser
    • Adobe Flash Player (13.0 or above ideally) or Quicktime player on IPAD/IPHONE
  • Internet Connection: Broadband internet access optimal if 1.6 MBPS or above
There's a free trial, but you have to sign up first and cancel if you don't want it...

Your trial membership lasts 30 days and gives you full access to Acorn TV.

Last edited by metroxian; 05-11-2015 at 03:22 PM..

Old 05-11-2015, 05:20 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Just started watching "The Brokenwood Mysteries" a mystery series from New Zealand. Too early for an opinion.
They've (re)added "The Last Detective" with Peter Davison. Love that.

Other stuff I've watched: "McCallum," "Lovejoy," "Foyle's War', "George Gently."

"Touching Evil" and Series 17 of "Midsomer Murders" start June 1.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:53 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroxian View Post
From the Acorn dot TV /help/faq
Thanks. I saw that on their FAQ, but it only added to my confusion. It says it will play on a BluRay player. The PS3 is a BluRay player. Does that mean Acorn will play on a PS3?

Old 05-12-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Thanks. I saw that on their FAQ, but it only added to my confusion. It says it will play on a BluRay player. The PS3 is a BluRay player. Does that mean Acorn will play on a PS3?
I've never seen a PS3, or BluRay player for that matter. If you can get the connection or app then give it a try. If it doesn't perform to you satisfaction then cancel.

When it comes to TV, if it isn't OTA then it's on my Roku. I haven't exhibited any curiosity whatever about other 'devices'. Sorry I can't help with that.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:53 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Yesterday I decided to give Acorn TV a try after reading the glowing reviews in the Poldark thread. I enjoy the contrast between British and American television. Not sure how long I'll keep it but almost certainly past the 30 day free trial. There are quite a few series and documentaries I'm planning on watching. If it had been priced any higher than it is, $4.99/month, I doubt I would be willing to pay for it since I already have Netflix, but it is definitely worth the monthly cost.

As for Poldark I watched one episode and wasn't blown away but will watch a couple more before deciding. It was ok I guess.

They have at least three or four things Martin Clunes is in. They have Doc Martin, including the movies, but I've already seen them. He has a documentary series about animals. The episode I watched shows him in Africa where a lion cub was being raised to eventually be set free. He said he was a big fan of Born Free as a boy, so being there to watch this fulfilled a dream of his.

There's a good documentary on the Nazi party starting with when Hitler first spied on them for the government, decided he liked what he heard and joined them. Not everyone enjoys WWII documentaries, but for those who do this one is well done. I believe it was on History Channel, as it seems i watched one or two of the episodes when I still had cable.

When I bought Roku two years ago I planned on paying for only one pay service. At first it was Amazon Prime, then Netflix which I still have, but Acorn TV may be the one service that changes my mind. One it's low cost, two I enjoy British television, some of it anyway. Netflix at $9.64/month, and Acorn TV at $4.99/month aren't going to break the bank. Guessing Acorn TV applies tax also, so it might be slightly higher.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:28 AM

OhioJB, the Poldark on AcornTV is the 1975 edition. I watched the whole thing but was near to finding it unbearable. There's a 2015 edition... something/sometime.

Jeeves and Wooster is a good series
Blandings is some good comedy

AcornTV will add new programming on Mondays, so some are dropped same day. I add that because tomorrow is the addition of 'Britian's Bloodiest Dynasty'. I'm looking forward to that...

Quote:
Out of the chaos, darkness, and violence of the Middle Ages, one family seizes control of England, holding onto power and ruthlessly crushing all competition for more than 300 years...
Sounds almost like WashDC

Old 06-14-2015, 09:33 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Acorn just dropped a new season of Midsomer Murders. This is probably a sure sign of how boring I am, but I started watching an episode of MM on Saturday morning with my coffee years ago. There's so many episodes that it's taken that long to get through them. And if Midsomer was a real place, it would totally be the per capita crime capital of England. There's two or three murders a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV