Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2016, 02:32 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,973,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
As for the big kingpins having the better chance to survive a ZA, I don't think that's a safe bet.
If you have a fortified compound in a remote area, lots of weapons, and a loyal army of thugs at your command before it even starts, trust me, you're better off than most people.

Quote:
All you need is one infected person in one of their compounds to destroy the entire compound.
I'm sure they'd catch on just as fast as anyone else. Besides, let's say you are some drug trafficker deep in the Columbian jungle somewhere. How often is someone going just up and die? They would likely have been monitoring news reports/getting information from elsewhere from a position of safety and learning how everything works (someone dies, they come back, to avoid them coming back, shoot/stab them in the head), and adapting. This ZA isn't like World War Z where one person bites another, they turn in 10 seconds and then start doing backflips across the room and attacking everyone in sight... That's another issue I have with the series in general. The time it takes to turn seems to be very dependent on how fast or slow the writers want to move the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 02:40 PM

6,567 posts, read 6,731,727 times
I doubt that Strand is a drug dealer, it's so cliche, but considering the quality of the writing on FTWD so far, it would not shock me if he turns out to be one.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:12 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
If you have a fortified compound in a remote area, lots of weapons, and a loyal army of thugs at your command before it even starts, trust me, you're better off than most people.

I'm sure they'd catch on just as fast as anyone else. Besides, let's say you are some drug trafficker deep in the Columbian jungle somewhere. How often is someone going just up and die? They would likely have been monitoring news reports/getting information from elsewhere from a position of safety and learning how everything works (someone dies, they come back, to avoid them coming back, shoot/stab them in the head), and adapting. This ZA isn't like World War Z where one person bites another, they turn in 10 seconds and then start doing backflips across the room and attacking everyone in sight... That's another issue I have with the series in general. The time it takes to turn seems to be very dependent on how fast or slow the writers want to move the story.
I still think that's quite a stretch. I wouldn't bet the house on your scenario. For one thing, I don't think you can count on your army of thugs being loyal till the end. I believe they would be looking out for themselves more than their so called kingpin. Human nature.

I don't think what you proposed couldn't happen, just that I don't think it's a solid guarantee. That kind of situation could go several different ways. It is interesting to think about.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:42 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,751,473 times
Lol. Too funny . I'm laughing at the world war z MOVIE backflips. Wwz the book is pure genius. The battle of Yonkers. Genius .... Wish we could see that in TV .FTWD should buy the rights to WWZ and incorporate it into the storyline.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:28 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
WWZ movie zombies are without a doubt....ridiculous. I am glad TWD/FTWD universe has kept things...ahem..."realistic."

I just hope the show has some more interesting scenarios up its sleeves because after Strand plays his hand there's not much compelling drama left for the remaining characters and AMC has already demonstrated that there won't be any big budget battles showing the fall of the world or the military.

As boring as it sounds to others they really should have spent at least another half an episode on the cove to let things percolate more about the father's intentions. But alas...

Old 04-18-2016, 04:58 PM

23,446 posts, read 12,481,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Wasn't it Nick's fault that the family fell apart. The little girl didn't know those pills existed until she saw Nick with the pills and the globe.
When the little boy ran down and said something was wrong with the little girl they asked him what was wrong and he said "she took her pill".
The little girl knew about the pills and knew that she was going to have to take one, at some point. She probably didn't know where they were until she saw Nick with them and it was his fault that she found out when she did, but finding them could have happened at any time. She could have seen her father messing with the globe and pills, or she could have found them herself .. playing hide and seek in the house with her brother, gotten bored and snooped around just for something to do..which would have been likely since they were confined to the house and a small area of yard, playing with the same toys and never having new toys to play and no other kids around to play with.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:36 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,751,473 times
Nick made it much much easier to find the "loaded gun"...

Old 04-19-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
I doubt that Strand is a drug dealer, it's so cliche, but considering the quality of the writing on FTWD so far, it would not shock me if he turns out to be one.
"Drug dealer" implies some two bit thug living in the projects and slingling $5 and $10 rocks and bags of weed. If Strand has some sort of drug cartel connection I would guess that he is/was some kind of high level trafficker.

Quote:
I still think that's quite a stretch. I wouldn't bet the house on your scenario. For one thing, I don't think you can count on your army of thugs being loyal till the end. I believe they would be looking out for themselves more than their so called kingpin. Human nature.
Let's say I'm an average poor South American dirt farmer who sought a better life working for a cartel and all of a sudden I hear about zombies walking around while I'm standing guard at my boss' hacienda. My choices are, peel off on my own and fend for myself, or stay with a large and heavily armed group in a fortified compound. Hmmm...tough one... Here's a description and a map of Pablo Escobar's former estate in Colombia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacienda_N%C3%A1poles

https://goo.gl/maps/UsnCWPy91uy

Looks a hell of a lot safer than the Hilltop or Alexandria.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:51 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,955,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
As an additional note to this - I would find automatic weapons as a liability in the zombie apocalypse where exact targeted fire is needed. A semi-automatic weapon would me more effective as the true purpose of automatic fire, suppressive fire, is useless to zombies.
Facing human opponents I guess it would be beneficial, but giving an automatic weapon to an untrained civilians is usually disaster - One shot would be effective and the rest they would be firing into air with the muzzle climb. One of the reasons M16's A4 variant anyways) are now only designed with 3 shot bursts.
It depends - a 50 caliber machine gun, like the Governor had, can punch through bodies and bones. Shatter a thigh, hip or knee, or the spine, and while the zombie may still live, it will not be mobile and is easy pickings.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
It depends - a 50 caliber machine gun, like the Governor had, can punch through bodies and bones. Shatter a thigh, hip or knee, or the spine, and while the zombie may still live, it will not be mobile and is easy pickings.
True, but it's going to expend a whole lot of ammo doing it. A 10 second burst from an M2 expends nearly 100 rounds of ammunition and it's not like they're making more of it. Granted, there are probably a lot of gun trucks of various kinds strewn about the countryside complete with stores of ammo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV