Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 03:52 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DsPdKMdWTk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 12:18 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonest View Post
just look at how the stupid protagonists NEVER learn to assign a guard-watch rotation and constantly let a bunch of mindless bodies stumble up to them? sheesh. Why would you not just move to an island or anchor a ship or barge out in a big lake or river? presto, much less stress/risk.
No, but they don't always have the walls and perimeter to guard. We've seen them have a guard-watch rotation like in Woodbury, but when you are out in the open and running, it isn't always possible to do that. And the zombies aren't exactly mindless. They hunt based on sight, sound and smell.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:43 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonest View Post
just look at how the stupid protagonists NEVER learn to assign a guard-watch rotation and constantly let a bunch of mindless bodies stumble up to them? sheesh. Why would you not just move to an island or anchor a ship or barge out in a big lake or river? presto, much less stress/risk.

This. All I know is I'd be heading north ASAP, out into the Washington or BC wilderness areas, lots of lakes and secluded areas, small islands and very few people around.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
This. All I know is I'd be heading north ASAP, out into the Washington or BC wilderness areas, lots of lakes and secluded areas, small islands and very few people around.
That might be easy for you to do, but if for our protagonists starting out in the middle of LA, it might not be. The government might shut down the ports or make it hard for people who don't own a boat who can sneak past the rioters and police and zombies to get there.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:56 PM

232 posts, read 251,216 times
Can't wait for it but I'm not setting myself up for disappointment. I have no illusions that it will be anywhere near as good as the original. So my expectations are low AND as long as I see some zombie killing I will probably be alright. So I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised but not holding my breath.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:05 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
That might be easy for you to do, but if for our protagonists starting out in the middle of LA, it might not be. The government might shut down the ports or make it hard for people who don't own a boat who can sneak past the rioters and police and zombies to get there.

Head east to the desert, loot CVS, acquire sunblock, steal truck and go.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Head east to the desert, loot CVS, acquire sunblock, steal truck and go.
How? All the roads are blocked. People are rioting and shooting in the streets. Again, it SOUNDS logical and easy, but the reality is - it might not work out that way for very many. Unless you jump on your boat and take off or drive into desert the very first time you hear a report of someone getting sick with a strange illness, there's a very good chance you'll get caught up in it. This show isn't going to be about "that guy."

Old 08-05-2015, 03:11 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,510 times
I love this teaser. Short, subtle, with a hint of terror.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:47 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
How? All the roads are blocked. People are rioting and shooting in the streets. Again, it SOUNDS logical and easy, but the reality is - it might not work out that way for very many. Unless you jump on your boat and take off or drive into desert the very first time you hear a report of someone getting sick with a strange illness, there's a very good chance you'll get caught up in it. This show isn't going to be about "that guy."
The freeways and highways over the passes are blocked, yes. But not the surface streets.

A single person or a small group of able-bodied individuals could make their way to the San Gabriel foothills (Los Angeles butts right up against the mountains and the Angeles National Forest) and cross the mountains on foot in a couple of days as there are trails everywhere. And you won't find many walkers on those trails, and even if you do stumble across a horde, they could only come at you single-file on the narrow trails on steep hillsides. Once you're over the mountains and into the flat Antelope Valley, you're in the desert and there's roads everywhere in a grid. And if you have 4WD/HC (and there will be plenty of them abandoned and for the taking) you don't need roads - the desert there is flat wash and fan and easily traversed.

Head up to the ranges east of the Sierra Nevada, along the western boundary of Death Valley National Park. There are very few communities there and they're all very small. And the mountains are high enough (the Inyos and Panamints both top 11000 feet) that they catch rain and have springs and a few year-round streams and can support crops on a very small basis (ie, large gardens). And once you clear whatever walkers are in those areas, such as the few dozen tourists/campers/hikers that were there and turned, there's not going to be any more wandering in. The nearest cities of any sort are just too far away (Ridgecrest is 50 miles as the crow flies, on the other side of a small desert range, and has only 30k people even before the dying begins).

That would be my game plan.

Alternately, even the high ranges in and around Los Angeles/Orange County/the Inland Empire (the San Gabriels, Santa Anas, San Bernardinos and San Jacintos) would be good places to hole up. Aside from the San Bernardinos, they really don't have much in the way of communities in them. You'd have lots of other refugees there, but the undead would be a comparatively minor problem.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The freeways and highways over the passes are blocked, yes. But not the surface streets.

That would be my game plan.
That's a very good plan to get YOU out of there. But what if you have loved ones you want to take with you - and they happen to be spread across the city? You may or may not remember an ice storm that came through the south a couple of years ago that brought the South to its knees in gridlock for a couple of days. It took me 9 hours in my car on highways and surface streets to get home when it normally takes me 20-25 minutes. I didn't see my wife for nearly two days as she was stuck at work. People were stranded on the interstate for that time. I got my kids home about a day into it because I have AWD and the local school system used county 4WDs to bring my oldest to me. I know snow and ice doesn't equal zombies, but it does show how things can fall apart. I also know that not every road would be blocked, but it doesn't take but a couple of wrecks or abandoned cars to do it. If I had to leave and get to them and then go find a boat or plane or train or whatever and you added in looters, malicious police/army and...oh yeah...zombies - I don't think it would be that easy for me and many many others. Yes, somebody somewhere has their SHTF bag already loaded up in their fully armed and armored F-250 King Ranch Powerstroke with a brush guard and a 28 Regal Express waiting at the dock, but for the other 99% of us, there's this show.

Last edited by Tourian; 08-05-2015 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV