Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2016, 06:54 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Well, yeah - Kirkman has stated over and over he won't explain that, and I don't blame them. When a show does that, the science fiction takes center stage and typically gets picked apart by the viewer. The whole idea with avoiding it and one of the main reasons TWD is so successful is because it focuses on the people and the character interactions and not the cause itself, because there's nothing they can do about it anyway.

But if they do take another run at a spin off, and they should, they really need to focus on the before and during the outbreak stage, and they can do that well without laying out all the answers. Go back to Atlanta as a setting. Just do a six part miniseries with 2hr long episodes. Have like four-six main characters, a hot EMT who is dating an assistant DA, a low level scientist like Jenner at the CDC, a utility crew out laying fiber in edges of the metro and then maybe a wealthy landowner who has a few ties to DC. All of these people would not necessarily have high level clearance, but start piecing together clues and we watch who their worlds deteriorate as more and more "cases" pop up. But the whole point is we should/would get an almost bird's eye view of the fall of society as thing's fall apart, and then they could maybe show the EMT working at the same hospital Rick was admitted to and continue along with what happened while he was in his coma, and end it all when he wakes up.
You should be writing for the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 08:59 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Well, yeah - Kirkman has stated over and over he won't explain that, and I don't blame them. When a show does that, the science fiction takes center stage and typically gets picked apart by the viewer. The whole idea with avoiding it and one of the main reasons TWD is so successful is because it focuses on the people and the character interactions and not the cause itself, because there's nothing they can do about it anyway.

But if they do take another run at a spin off, and they should, they really need to focus on the before and during the outbreak stage, and they can do that well without laying out all the answers. Go back to Atlanta as a setting. Just do a six part miniseries with 2hr long episodes. Have like four-six main characters, a hot EMT who is dating an assistant DA, a low level scientist like Jenner at the CDC, a utility crew out laying fiber in edges of the metro and then maybe a wealthy landowner who has a few ties to DC. All of these people would not necessarily have high level clearance, but start piecing together clues and we watch who their worlds deteriorate as more and more "cases" pop up. But the whole point is we should/would get an almost bird's eye view of the fall of society as thing's fall apart, and then they could maybe show the EMT working at the same hospital Rick was admitted to and continue along with what happened while he was in his coma, and end it all when he wakes up.
I think you are on to something. I think Kirkman could have TWD be continuous and have FTWD be a limited series and maybe each season of FTWD follow a different group of people somewhere else in the world.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:14 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:

yes, indeed, you are most certainly onto something...!!!

Old 09-08-2016, 11:54 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Thanks, all. And come to think of it if they didnt want to go completely clean sheet with new characters it might be an opportunity to bring a couple of old faces back to give them at least a cameo or go all the way and make them regular prominent characters. Jenner is obvious but I could see them bringing back someone like Jacqui who said she worked in the city or Morales or Jim whom they could make something up for a backstory to work them in.

The writing on the show was much more compelling earlier on before it got to the running in the woods from evil bad guy's group that it has grinded down to now. Those first few episodes seemed to pack so much storytelling in the same amount of time that is seemingly wasted now. Sometimes when i think back to when something happened i figure it might have been multiple episodes in and it turns out to have happened in the first 2 or 3.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:29 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
I hope the kid from school, forgot his name, shows up looking like rambo and rescues those idiots from the bathroom.

And maybe Chris will realize his old man is a liability and his new bros are way cooler. Travis just isn't apocaplyse material.

How come nobody ever uses a plane in these shows? All this wandering around. Just hotwire a plane and get out of the AO.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:56 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
How come nobody ever uses a plane in these shows? All this wandering around. Just hotwire a plane and get out of the AO.
Probably because none of them are pilots. And besides that people had been clamoring for them to get on a boat forever for these shows and now that we got it we see it isnt that interesting. I dont see how a plane would be that much more compelling. Usually that spells the end of a show/movie and a great unknown if they can find a safe place with no zombies. Othetwise they just have go land and go right back to surviving.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:38 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Probably because none of them are pilots. And besides that people had been clamoring for them to get on a boat forever for these shows and now that we got it we see it isnt that interesting. I dont see how a plane would be that much more compelling. Usually that spells the end of a show/movie and a great unknown if they can find a safe place with no zombies. Othetwise they just have go land and go right back to surviving.
Why would you get on a plane? Unless it is a 747 you won't have enough supplies to last more than a few days. Then you have to land which everybody and their brother will see. Boats are bad enough because there is nowhere to hide in an ocean, but a plane would be just idiotic.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:23 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
They should switch the cast every year... This way it can show how it spread.

I hope they do a Walking Dead in another country..

Old 09-09-2016, 07:40 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I hope the kid from school, forgot his name, shows up looking like rambo and rescues those idiots from the bathroom.

And maybe Chris will realize his old man is a liability and his new bros are way cooler. Travis just isn't apocaplyse material.

Do YOU know how to fly a plane? The majority of people don't. There's the answer to your question.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:44 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
When is REAL Walking Dead coming back? I'm so sick of its less-hot younger wannabe sister.
October 23rd at 9pm EST.

6 weeks, 2 days and about 4 hours and 15 minutes from when I posted this. Not that I'm counting.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV