Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 11:04 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,093 times

Advertisements

To go along with something I mentioned in my last post, one of the scariest aspects to this show are the authorities coming in and basically "taking over" from the civilians. They are telling everyone what to do, where to go (and where they can't go), taking people away under protest, etc. This disturbs me more than the idea of the zombies taking over the world.

I'm reminded somewhat of what we saw 10 years ago after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. Of course, it's not the same thing but it's the same type of thing. I.e., the U.S. becoming a country where tanks & armed personnel roam the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 11:40 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
THIS
The soldiers orders are probably way more complicated than these people understand...being the calvary and rescuing them is a priority but not a top priority...restoring order is...period...

also...I am guessing their commanding officers know or suspect this is NOT going to get better...that they HAVE to start accumulating supplies and protecting them...they do this in stages...eventually moving the people they need to fewer save zones and sacrificing the rest...

its what I would do...
end of the world, restore order and authority
accumulate supplies
people are assets...doctors, hunters, cops, carpenters...handy men type peeps...assets
addicts, the old, the sick, criminals...useless...do I waste resources/rations on these people to the detrement of the others, or do I get rid of them...and this has to be done quietly, quickly, and covered up...order must be maintained...survival is a BEEYOTCH
so far, we haven't seen the soldiers (or a soldier) hoarding water or other supplies, like we did that cop a few episodes ago.

Also, remember that the National Guard are mostly part-time soldiers - 15 days of training per year is what is required, I believe. The other 350 days, they're engineers, accountants, plumbers, small business owners, truck drivers, etc. Most of the police are full-time law enforcement professionals who likely have annual training requirements.

Agree overall, though, that the National Guard's situation is probably more complex than what we see on the TV. Remember, in the original series, Shane mentioned the government told people to go into the cities for safety in numbers, but it just turned them into zombie feeding zones. They then napalmed the cities as well. (We saw roasted walkers - still living - last season when they went back to Atlanta to rescue Beth.)

Last edited by NewJeffCT; 09-21-2015 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-21-2015, 12:16 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
To go along with something I mentioned in my last post, one of the scariest aspects to this show are the authorities coming in and basically "taking over" from the civilians. They are telling everyone what to do, where to go (and where they can't go), taking people away under protest, etc. This disturbs me more than the idea of the zombies taking over the world.

I'm reminded somewhat of what we saw 10 years ago after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. Of course, it's not the same thing but it's the same type of thing. I.e., the U.S. becoming a country where tanks & armed personnel roam the streets.

What would you expect from a bunch of "weekend warriers" when they are issued guns and given "authority" over their neighbors?

Old 09-21-2015, 01:46 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
After watching last nights episode I was able to come up with ONE rule to survive the zombie apocalypse

don't do stupid shat

apparently Madison is hell bent on doing stupid stuff...seriously...wtf...
Its hard as I know way more than she does whats coming, and they think they are saved...but what was she thinking...
Couldn't agree more, Don't do stupid shat is right. Not only does she endanger herself, she cuts makes an opening in the fence to increase chances that even more harm will find a way into their little camp.

On the subject of Nick, he is as I expected an addict to be when finding ways to feed his habit, resourceful, disgusting as his methods might be, I wasn't in any way surprised, as soon as I saw the drip, I figured he was somehow finding his way into that home and tapping into the drugs there. I'm a little on the fence about Madison's beat down on him though, I can understand her striking him, but, that kind of damage she did to his face was over the top abusive. I too am glad they took Nick away, I hope he gets the drugs out of his system and somewhere along the way redeems himself for himself and those who care about him. They are all suffering because of his addiction.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:44 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
It seemed a little crappy to fast forward past the first 9 days of the incident. I mean the entire reason for this show was to explain how it started and what happened as society fell apart. We know where we end up weeks later - but I want to see everything going down across the metro area during the first week or so.

The first 3 episodes covered around 48 hours and got us to the point that the infection and zombies FINALLY started to bring a halt to everyday life - and then right when things should finally start getting good.....they just zoom us 9 days in the future and the initial craziness is apparently all over.

I don't really love any of the characters. They keep showing family drama, and all I want to know is what's happening in this six mile border area around their fence. What's going on outside of that area? Chaos? Are the roads completely jammed trying to get out of Los Angeles? What's going on everywhere else in the country? Why no news of downtown LA....New York....the government in DC. It's like none of these characters care about anything. They're all so "cool" with everything and just act like this is some normal irratant in their lives.

Where is everyone outside of this neighborhood????

In the original series you see what happened to Atlanta. All roads are blocked out of town with thousands of cars, military everywhere, the remains of chaos.

I would think these past 9 days we just skipped over would be crazy with 18 million people in the LA area running for their lives, rioting and just plain freaking out. Instead we just have our regular old neighborhood here with our usual famliies living in their houses and then everyone else just seems to be "gone".

Old 09-21-2015, 02:54 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
^Exactly.^

Old 09-21-2015, 03:16 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,992 times
I had big hopes for this show as I love The Walking Dead. But this show is pretty horrible, just being honest. The writing is just not good IMO.

The part where they go into the LA river, they drive the truck through the tunnel. They get out and walk right to the car where the kid was shot, only to find no body. They go to leave by driving back through the tunnel and there is the zombie kid walking through the tunnel.. Soooo wouldn't they have passed him when they first drove in? Where did he suddenly come from?

The principle was clearly bitten on his back. But we know it takes a very long time for a person to turn after being bit. Soooo did the principle get bit and just hang out in the school for a few days? He didn't feel the need to go get medical attention, or at least take his shirt off to check the damage?

Old 09-21-2015, 03:22 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
I had big hopes for this show as I love The Walking Dead. But this show is pretty horrible, just being honest. The writing is just not good IMO.

The part where they go into the LA river, they drive the truck through the tunnel. They get out and walk right to the car where the kid was shot, only to find no body. They go to leave by driving back through the tunnel and there is the zombie kid walking through the tunnel.. Soooo wouldn't they have passed him when they first drove in? Where did he suddenly come from?
Agreed, this was just done for dramatic effect. But maybe he was a lurker zombie and laying down and they just didn't notice him the first time through,

Quote:
The principle was clearly bitten on his back. But we know it takes a very long time for a person to turn after being bit. Soooo did the principle get bit and just hang out in the school for a few days? He didn't feel the need to go get medical attention, or at least take his shirt off to check the damage?
Not necessarily. Dr. Jenner said it varied from a few minutes to several hours. Here lately it is been mostly a few minutes.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:31 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It seemed a little crappy to fast forward past the first 9 days of the incident. I mean the entire reason for this show was to explain how it started and what happened as society fell apart. We know where we end up weeks later - but I want to see everything going down across the metro area during the first week or so.

The first 3 episodes covered around 48 hours and got us to the point that the infection and zombies FINALLY started to bring a halt to everyday life - and then right when things should finally start getting good.....they just zoom us 9 days in the future and the initial craziness is apparently all over.

I don't really love any of the characters. They keep showing family drama, and all I want to know is what's happening in this six mile border area around their fence. What's going on outside of that area? Chaos? Are the roads completely jammed trying to get out of Los Angeles? What's going on everywhere else in the country? Why no news of downtown LA....New York....the government in DC. It's like none of these characters care about anything. They're all so "cool" with everything and just act like this is some normal irratant in their lives.

Where is everyone outside of this neighborhood????

In the original series you see what happened to Atlanta. All roads are blocked out of town with thousands of cars, military everywhere, the remains of chaos.

I would think these past 9 days we just skipped over would be crazy with 18 million people in the LA area running for their lives, rioting and just plain freaking out. Instead we just have our regular old neighborhood here with our usual famliies living in their houses and then everyone else just seems to be "gone".
^^^ yes!

I have hopes it will get better. Last night's episode, terrible. I can't believe there are only two more episodes for the season. Nothing has really happened!

Old 09-21-2015, 03:41 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
[quote=NewJeffCT;41277485]I don't really care for any of the characters on the show yet, but care even less for Travis' ex-wife and son.

Right now, the National Guard seems to have a pretty good handle on things, but why no ability to communicate with the outside world? Not one person in the neighborhood has a battery powered radio or a shortwave radio or something besides a cellphone or landline?[/QUOTE]

No kidding. For emergencies (I live in tornado alley), I have a wind up radio with a lantern. One of my kids has a wind up cell phone charger that he uses while camping. I think my spouse still has a battery operated scanner. These people live in LA, they have earthquakes. Someone in their neighborhood would have something in the way of communication devices. What about car radios? At night, they get great reception. This part of the script or plot isn't very realistic, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV