Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 11:16 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Budget constraints?
Or AMC just being cheap, which is something they have been accused of a few times. That last ride through town when they saw the hospital was probably all we were going to see of the "9 missing days." Closing off streets in LA, hiring 100s of extras as rioters and zombies probably costs a lot, so they skipped most of it to save the last two episodes for the big plot stuff involving the soldiers and this other base. They should've allowed them 10-12 episodes right off the top and 3-4 episodes could have easily been devoted to watching LA fall during those 9 days, but it would have been like a Hollywood production that would have featured action away from the main characters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 11:17 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I feel like it's already skipped over the start of the zombie apocalypse, that plot thread is over.
That bothers me too. Who was patient zero? It certainly wasn't Nick's girlfriend or whoever she was, just look at all the missing person fliers. However, did it start among the drug users? Is that what they are trying to portray or tell us? Did it start among the homeless? The school was becoming a hotbed, but that seems to be secondary. There are so many loose ends to this show, it drives me crazy. I may be at a disadvantage because I didn't ever watch the other series. But, that shouldn't be either, since this is the beginning.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:18 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
That bothers me too. Who was patient zero? It certainly wasn't Nick's girlfriend or whoever she was, just look at all the missing person fliers. However, did it start among the drug users? Is that what they are trying to portray or tell us? Did it start among the homeless? The school was becoming a hotbed, but that seems to be secondary. There are so many loose ends to this show, it drives me crazy. I may be at a disadvantage because I didn't ever watch the other series. But, that shouldn't be either, since this is the beginning.
The origin of the pathogen is something they will never explain. That isn't the point of the story.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:28 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
They already said they will never explain how it started or how it eventually ends (if there is a cure for the living to stop turning).

Basically it started at one instance with everyone on earth infected, and as they happen to die they turn and then bite others who end up dying of the bite wound and become zombies themselves. Or if you never get bitten you end up dying at some point in your life and turn. Straight up sci-fi.

One issue though. The principal - who on earth bit him? This was towards the beginning and whatever bit him was gone, and then before he had a chance to take off his shirt or leave the building he just up and dies?

We saw from the daughters boyfriend and others that being bit doesn't equal instant zombie, it means you're going to get really sick/flu and then you're going to turn after you die due of the consequences of the bite.

In the very beginning they are at the school and Madison says to the principal about how so many people are out with the flu. Maybe this mean some people instantly get sick without being bitten at the very beginning of the outbreak and start to die? Why the reference to the fact so many kids are out of school? Just random flu or something related? Like maybe 5% of people insantly came down with this flu and died and the other 95% were infected with whatever causes you to become a zombie when bitten or you die yourself - but not infected enough to trigger the sickness and kill you outright when this started.

I assume there's a magical "zero hour" here when this started, at some point before our druggie friend woke up in the pilot episode. The dead girl at the beginning is the first zombie that we see, but certainly this is happening with different people all over earth whenever they happen to pass away after zero hour is reached.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:37 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
It would be interesting to see a graph of humans vs zombies on earth as time progresses.

Initially the number of humans would level off as the number of zombies increases very slowly at first, and then ever faster. The number of humans would decrease ever faster and faster. The gap between them is humans dying by being shot in the head and never turning, or zombies being taken out.

At some point the decline in the number of humans and increase in zombies would level out a bit as the survivors, in their very small numbers, were able to fend for themselves a bit better than in the beginning stages.

As time went on the number of zombies would start to decrease along with the number of survivors, as people aren't turning to the same degree the living or nature are slowly taking out all the zombies.

Eventually the number of humans and zombies would start trending towards zero. These zombies seem to only have a lifespan of maybe 3-5 years for the most part before they just start breaking due to deterioration.

After a decade or so I would expect the number of zombies as well as humans to be VERY small.

What happens to zombies in cold environments? Wouldn't they just freeze?

Old 09-22-2015, 11:37 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
These writers aren't too concerned about answering questions. That would require writing something that's logical.

It's much easier to transition into a TWD-lite show and bypass answering all of that.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:44 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
One issue though. The principal - who on earth bit him? This was towards the beginning and whatever bit him was gone, and then before he had a chance to take off his shirt or leave the building he just up and dies?
I was wondering the same thing.

I wonder why they decided to make Madison a teacher. It would have been more interesting had she been a nurse.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:44 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Start using logic and science to explain a show about zombies, and you'll realize the whole premise falls apart pretty quickly.

It's a metaphor. In this case about the collapse of society. Don't overthink it.

Obsessing about the logistics of zombies on a show like this is like those people who complain about the lasers making sound in space in STAR WARS. Congratulations. You have completely missed the point.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:10 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I was wondering the same thing.

I wonder why they decided to make Madison a teacher. It would have been more interesting had she been a nurse.
The delicious actress that plays this role seems to have a career playing only one of two type of characters in movies and TV shows - role one is a teacher (The Blind Side)...role two is an occupation best called "the worlds oldest" - Sons of Anarchcy and Deadwood.

That would have been interesting with her in the alternate role as well.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:39 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Start using logic and science to explain a show about zombies, and you'll realize the whole premise falls apart pretty quickly.

It's a metaphor. In this case about the collapse of society. Don't overthink it.

Obsessing about the logistics of zombies on a show like this is like those people who complain about the lasers making sound in space in STAR WARS. Congratulations. You have completely missed the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV