Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 04:34 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compltlyme View Post
...the diner in that movie IS in North Bend.
You mean the interiors were shot there? It's always hard to know where they're shooting what. You get a shot of a real town somewhere and then the rest of the movie is in some studio in Hollywood or Vancouver or wherever they can get the look and control they need.

The Brick and the main street are shot outdoors in Roslyn, but I have no idea about the interiors. When I went into the Brick, it didn't look ANYTHING like the interior they used in the TV show, so maybe that's what you're talking about...???

Even though I've shot many low-budget movies myself, I'm still mystified by the process involved in professional high-budget productions. There's so much work involved in creating a bad TV show, I can't imagine how much work it takes to create a GOOD one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 08:46 PM

331 posts, read 2,109,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
You mean the interiors were shot there? It's always hard to know where they're shooting what. You get a shot of a real town somewhere and then the rest of the movie is in some studio in Hollywood or Vancouver or wherever they can get the look and control they need.

The Brick and the main street are shot outdoors in Roslyn, but I have no idea about the interiors. When I went into the Brick, it didn't look ANYTHING like the interior they used in the TV show, so maybe that's what you're talking about...???

Even though I've shot many low-budget movies myself, I'm still mystified by the process involved in professional high-budget productions. There's so much work involved in creating a bad TV show, I can't imagine how much work it takes to create a GOOD one!
The Interior of the cafe where they would always eat the cherry pie at. That is what I mean. And from what I hear they used a couple of the other buildings. I am sure some of it was shot in a studio. There are some in Redmond not too far away.

If you get the chance you should go see it.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the info about the cafe interior, and I would LOVE to see it! Northern Exposure was my all-time favorite TV show, absolutely brilliant and it always made me laugh and cry and feel all warm and fuzzy about life and people. Yeah, I know, I sound like a "girly-man" and I am. I watch lots of movies on channels like Hallmark, Disney, and Lifetime. Yet I'm STRAIGHT and I'm NOT a "metrosexual" --- I'm a sloppy bachelor and a sensitive new age guy all rolled into one neurotic wad of decrepit flesh.

Sorry if you were eating while reading that...

Old 01-09-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
Thanks for the info about the cafe interior, and I would LOVE to see it! Northern Exposure was my all-time favorite TV show, absolutely brilliant and it always made me laugh and cry and feel all warm and fuzzy about life and people. Yeah, I know, I sound like a "girly-man" and I am. I watch lots of movies on channels like Hallmark, Disney, and Lifetime. Yet I'm STRAIGHT and I'm NOT a "metrosexual" --- I'm a sloppy bachelor and a sensitive new age guy all rolled into one neurotic wad of decrepit flesh.

Sorry if you were eating while reading that...
to admit that and live in TX.. you must be a BRAVE man!!!

don't you know many many women are looking for you!!!

Old 01-10-2007, 05:32 PM

Okay people I come to you head bowd and totally embarrassed!!! I was looking something up and found I was talking about the show "Twin Peaks", not "Northern Exposure."

Please forgive my mistake... I will go hide now...

Old 01-10-2007, 05:49 PM

LOL, forget about hiding, you already told us you'd be at Tweeds in North Bend! But out of compassion I'll buy the first round for all city-data forum members who show up for the lynching.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:04 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,911,478 times
Northern Exposure was the best! Nothing like it on today.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:34 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
My favourite TV programme ever. I cried when the last episode was shown here, it sounds silly but it was like losing a really good friend. I love the subtle and gentle humour, the philosophy behind it, the great mix of eclectic characters and some of the best TV scripts ever written.
I have bought all the DVD boxed sets out so far and it is a lovely way to just put one on and wallow in Cicelian delights...
We went to Roslyn Washington( where it was filmed ) two years ago and it was just wonderful to stand in the middle of Ruth-Ann's store, The Brick and looking at Joel's office and the famous "Roslyn's Cafe" sign.

Northern Exposure Archives - Moosechick's Notes
Homage to Northern Exposure

It's actually quite an interesting little old mining town with a really fascinating cemetery. NX addicts meet there every year for the annual "Moosefest", a celbration of TV's warmest place.

NX was such an ode to the diversity of human beings and to a really good community based on tolerance and acceptance of others. A Utopia, you could believe in , bitter sweet, sharp but never gloomy. I miss it so .

Old 09-08-2007, 03:31 PM

675 posts, read 2,684,750 times
Does anyone remember the epidose where Shelly had her baby, Miranda Bilss? She was expecting any day, and every time she went to the laundrymat, she kept running into, first a little girl, then an obnoxious tweener, then a beautifull young woman, all named Miranda. The point where Shelly realized it was her future daughter, because it was the girl's birthday, was just unbelievable. And when the girl mentioned she had a little brother, well, I just lost it. I think it was one of the best episodes of any tv program ever, so moving, quirky, and beautifull-just like NX was. I miss that show!!!

Old 09-10-2007, 02:33 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Loved Northern Exposure! My favorite scene was the one where Holling went to see Joel for fertility testing. When Joel gave Holling a specimen cup to fill, Holling looked at Joel and said, "Come again?" To which Joel replied, "Once is enough Holling." LOL

Have any of you watched "Men in Trees?" It's about as close to Northern Exposure as you can get on network television. As I watch it, I can point out some of the characteristics of the Northern Exposure characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV