Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 12:04 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

Has anyone signed up for this service yet? I'm liking what I see so far (just got through watching an episode of Veep!). $15 per month may be a little steep for some, but they have a 30 day free trial period. In all honesty, I signed up primarily for Game of Thrones, so I don't see myself paying for more than 2 months. This is a month to month service, so no long-term subscription required. All in all, a good deal, especially as I have access to prior Game of Thrones seasons as well as other shows that I enjoy.

Note, I believe that you must have an Apple device (for the first 3 months of launch) to buy HBO Now, though you can stream to your TV via HBONow.com once you've purchased if you have an HDMI portal and laptop, etc. (doesn't have to be an Apple laptop/computer). The ability to watch on my TV without signing up for Apple TV is ultimately what sealed the deal for me; I didn't want to be stuck using HBO Now on my Ipad screen . . . I definitely don't want to watch Game of Thrones on a small screen.

I'm interested in hearing/reading about other people's thoughts on this service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 07:44 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
I have HBO attached to my NJ Optimum cable account. I never watch the regular HBO channels. I use HBO Go in various locations to watch (watched "Jersey Boys" last night here in FL - not bad). I am guessing that HBO Now is the same (offerings) as HBO Go? If I see any advantage of switching to HBO Now (like cost) I would do so.......

Old 04-08-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I have HBO attached to my NJ Optimum cable account. I never watch the regular HBO channels. I use HBO Go in various locations to watch (watched "Jersey Boys" last night here in FL - not bad). I am guessing that HBO Now is the same (offerings) as HBO Go? If I see any advantage of switching to HBO Now (like cost) I would do so.......
While I don't know enough about HBO Go to confirm whether it's the same as HBO Now, I have heard the two described as being the same, the only difference being in how one gains access to each service. If you don't watch HBO on your tv, then I don't see why canceling HBO through Optimum and purchasing this stand alone system would not be cheaper. Definitely look into it!

Edit: it seems that HBO Now is available through Optimum (in addition to AAPL products) and that there may not be a cost difference between buying HBO Now as a standalone separate from the regularOptimum deal.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:38 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
HBO programing is unimpressive! Lots of old movies that you get to pay a premium to view that are available free elsewhere. The original programs are all that HBO has going for it.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:42 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
As I understand it, HBO NOW can be "purchased" separately from cable. People are trying more and more to "cut the cord" and go completely off cable or satellite and stream their television through Roku, Hulu plus, Chromecast, etc. The [-premium channels could only be accessed through a cable or satellite provider subscription. HBO NOW is a stand alone premium service. It's offered on Apple TV and devices for the next three months, then they are expanding to android devices.

I think it's an idea whose time has come.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
HBO programing is unimpressive! Lots of old movies that you get to pay a premium to view that are available free elsewhere. The original programs are all that HBO has going for it.
I agree about the original programming. That's the only reason why I signed up for HBO Now.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
As I understand it, HBO NOW can be "purchased" separately from cable. People are trying more and more to "cut the cord" and go completely off cable or satellite and stream their television through Roku, Hulu plus, Chromecast, etc. The [-premium channels could only be accessed through a cable or satellite provider subscription. HBO NOW is a stand alone premium service. It's offered on Apple TV and devices for the next three months, then they are expanding to android devices.

I think it's an idea whose time has come.
Agreed. The time for such separate packages has been long overdue. I'm just perplexed at why certain cable companies took so long (of course, most don't even offer such deals), especially as a way to cut the middleman out and increase profits. Apart from that, this is giving the consumer what s/he wants as not everyone has a TV or is able to watch TV regularly. That's why I've had Netflix for years; a major downside about Netflix in my view is the delay that they often have, outside of their original series or series that they have taken over, in getting new content online, so HBO Now will be welcome in that regard.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:10 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Agreed. The time for such separate packages has been long overdue. I'm just perplexed at why certain cable companies took so long (of course, most don't even offer such deals), especially as a way to cut the middleman out and increase profits. Apart from that, this is giving the consumer what s/he wants as not everyone has a TV or is able to watch TV regularly. That's why I've had Netflix for years; a major downside about Netflix in my view is the delay that they often have, outside of their original series or series that they have taken over, in getting new content online, so HBO Now will be welcome in that regard.

The problem with cable companies is that they are the only game in town and they know it. They charge huge prices for what they say is 300 channels, 25 - 30 of which the average viewer watches. it's a rip-off.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:04 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,714 times
Love the HBOGo service. Don't have the Now service yet. Struggling to determine what causes so much stream disruption.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:57 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
I believe that both HBOGo and HBONow use the same platform. The names just refer to the type of subscription (former for cable subscribers, latter for non-cable subscribers)

I've used HBOGo in the past and was pleased with it ("borrowed" a login). However I don't know that I used it frequently enough to justify $20/mo to get HBONow. I may do the 30 day trial when they air "Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill (I saw it on Broadway and am looking forward to seeing it again on TV)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV