U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 03:55 AM

1 posts, read 681 times

Advertisements

SLING is a channel offered on roku that has many Cable type channels. A&E H1 and H2 and HGTV are just a few along with Disney too, 20.00 a month and you can get 5.00 add ons The only thing I hate is that it doesn't have OWN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 04:08 AM

52 posts, read 34,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejoy59 View Post
SLING is a channel offered on roku that has many Cable type channels. A&E H1 and H2 and HGTV are just a few along with Disney too, 20.00 a month and you can get 5.00 add ons The only thing I hate is that it doesn't have OWN.

I own 3 RoKu get one on ebay

Old 05-08-2015, 08:17 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,342 posts, read 5,173,681 times
I have owned a Slingbox since they were first introduced. I am able to get my NY suite of channels on a computer/tablet/smartphone where ever I happen to be (as long as there is a good wifi/internet connection). I wish my Roku boxes would allow me to view and control my Slingbox via the Roku. That way I could view via my flat screen TV instead of my computer.....

Old 05-08-2015, 01:04 PM

588 posts, read 849,710 times
Default Alternatives to Roku

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I have owned a Slingbox since they were first introduced. I am able to get my NY suite of channels on a computer/tablet/smartphone where ever I happen to be (as long as there is a good wifi/internet connection). I wish my Roku boxes would allow me to view and control my Slingbox via the Roku. That way I could view via my flat screen TV instead of my computer.....
Try Western Digital WDTV Live (If you have the first, second or third generation of slingbox). It has a great remote.

Or the Kindle Fire TV (If you have the fourth or later generation of slingbox).

Old 05-08-2015, 01:10 PM

3,032 posts, read 3,886,992 times
For me $20 a month is about the difference between what my internet would be without the cable bundle. Boo!

Old 05-08-2015, 02:36 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,173,389 times
I purchased Sling TV for one month so I could watch the NFL draft, then I cancelled it before the month was over. The base package for $20 only has a couple of stations I'd watch, ESPN occasionally, ESPN 2 to watch Mike & Mike, and The History Channel. Not worth it to me to pay that much for a couple of channels. One of the reasons I gave up cable was because I couldn't stomach giving ESPN about $6.50/month which would have gone up to over $7/month within a year or two. Most of the year I didn't even watch that channel.

They have package offerings you can add to the base package for an extra $5/each. I paid for the news package and it was a waste of money. Their news offerings are worse than their base package. No thanks.

For those that like HBO they either have or are about to add that for $15/month. That was the price an article I read mentioned, so not positive that'll be the price.

Sling TV has a lot of technical issues. It's bad enough they shouldn't have rolled the product out yet.

Others will like the channel lineup in the base package, so I'm obviously only commenting on my tastes. Just beware that some channels block certain shows on Sling TV. Not sure which ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV