U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 11:20 PM

5,076 posts, read 7,041,317 times

Advertisements

Great show. At 77, Jane looks really good, but even she has the upper arm wiggle waggle. Funny article on aging.

Clip:
If you're older and you know it, shake you arms. ... Jane not only bares her upper arms, she pokes the flesh so that it shakes like Jell-O. This is a move women do only to torture themselves in department store dressing rooms when trying on sleeveless dresses, or alone in front of their bedroom mirrors. It’s a kind of negative self-affirmation: Who could ever love me with this?
..Jane was doing it on TV. I wanted to leap off the couch and scream, “Give that woman an Emmy now!”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/17/st...an-region&_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 11:41 PM

5,841 posts, read 3,312,390 times
Jane has been anorexic for years. I guess that's what it takes to look like that.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:55 AM

2,492 posts, read 2,214,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm under 30 and I LOVE Grace & Frankie. I had been looking forward to it for awhile and binge watched it in a few days.

Then again, I watched a whole lot of Maude and Golden Girls reruns in high school and college so my viewing habits probably skew 40-50 years older!
Of course young people can like it too. I meant that it's nice to have a show that has modern content and not based on the struggles of a young adults,teens or beginning a family. It's good that these characters aren't the grandma of a lead character that throws out one liners as she wheels away.

I can say even at 40 many of the scenarios of tv shows seem immature and geared to an audience with much less life experience.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:00 AM

5,284 posts, read 4,571,724 times
If anyone's going to sit on Ryan Gosling's face, it's going to be me!

Old 05-19-2015, 06:29 AM

4,090 posts, read 4,055,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
What the F did Lily do to her face?
I think she looks great, as does Jane. I should look so good at their ages.

I'm 4 episodes in, and while it's not a show I'd give an enthusiastic two thumbs up, it does help me pass the time while I'm on the treadmill. I had pretty much run out of Netflix and Amazon Prime shows for that purpose. I've finished all the "biggies."

Old 05-19-2015, 07:15 PM

5,076 posts, read 7,041,317 times
It's not only Hollywood who are turning to plastic surgery to further careers. Both sexes in other fields are turning to plastic surgery to stay in the work force. Age discrimination is not limited to Hollywood.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:30 PM

5,284 posts, read 4,571,724 times
Okay, I'm enjoying the show. As a divorced person I get it.

But here is what I don't get. The four main actors are 74-77. They are playing characters much younger. The actors playing their kids range from 29-35. So for example, that means that Jane Fonda's character gave birth to her daughter at 48. Now obviously actors can play people of all ages. But i have to suspend my disbelief quite a bit to think of the 4 main characters as being a good 10 years younger than they actors playing them. Especially since the actors are so well known.

It just seems to me it would be more realistic if their kids were at a later stage in life and had older kids, even a great grandkid or two. and if the two lawyer characters were retired or even semi-retired.

My parents are 80, we kids are 47-56 and our kids range from 5-29.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:59 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,040 posts, read 4,782,072 times
Tried the first episode. Went searching for something else half way through.........

Old 05-19-2015, 08:48 PM

7,923 posts, read 7,273,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Okay, I'm enjoying the show. As a divorced person I get it.

But here is what I don't get. The four main actors are 74-77. They are playing characters much younger. The actors playing their kids range from 29-35. So for example, that means that Jane Fonda's character gave birth to her daughter at 48. Now obviously actors can play people of all ages. But i have to suspend my disbelief quite a bit to think of the 4 main characters as being a good 10 years younger than they actors playing them. Especially since the actors are so well known.

It just seems to me it would be more realistic if their kids were at a later stage in life and had older kids, even a great grandkid or two. and if the two lawyer characters were retired or even semi-retired.

My parents are 80, we kids are 47-56 and our kids range from 5-29.

The main characters are playing people in their age range of 70 and older. Today more so than ever, it's rare for some to retire even before 80 in fields of work where they often times define themselves by their careers and would rather stay active in the work they love doing till death or as I've seen in some cases, mental deterioration forces them out. In legal positions, I've personally known of a few people over 80 still working in the legal profession; really not odd when they own their own practice especially....

Now the ages, probably would have been better for jane to have older kids, but wouldn't have fit their narrative I guess. It's not unusual for career women to put off having children till late in life, but, I'm also not really sure just how old Graces' girls are in their character rolls.. Frankie's kids, the young men, I can see either or both possibly being over 40, but more like 30's, but it wouldn't matter considering they're adopted.

A friend of mine's her parents are in their 70's, two of their children are still in their 40's, the end of this year, there's an infant grand and a few younger grands no great grands for these parents yet, all the grands are way too young.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:33 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,350,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
It's not only Hollywood who are turning to plastic surgery to further careers. Both sexes in other fields are turning to plastic surgery to stay in the work force. Age discrimination is not limited to Hollywood.
Golden Girls did just fine, no plastic faces. I just appreciate natural aging. Otherwise, the frozen faces deter from the acting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or