Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 01:23 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,777,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Monica became so shrill that she's almost unwatchable and Chandler had somehow become neutered.

Yup. And Ross' awkward insecure shleprock act was endearing on a guy in his mid to late 20s who had just been left by his wife. But as a three times divorced father of 2 in his mid to late thirties? Pathetic. LOL Ditto Joey's dumb cute guy routine. By the time he left he looked like the father of a teenager still acting like a borderline imbecile. And don't me started on Rachel's self-absorbed princess act. She was somebody's mom in her thirties still playing teenage games in her love life.

I was ready for that show to end, as much as I loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 01:40 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,950,388 times
I think The Office is a good candidate for this, which is one of my top 3 favorite shows of all time. When Steve Carell left, he took the soul of that show with him(and that says alot because the main cast that had been there from the beginning brought ALOT to that show), and you could tell the writers didnt really know which direction to go, and as result, seasons 8 and 9 were pretty flat except for a handful of decent episodes. However, faithful viewers got one of the best series finales ever.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:56 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,723,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
American Idol. Everydbody in front of and behind the camera has changed except Seacrest. They've messed with the format of the show too several times. It's nothing like the Kelly Clarkson days.
The result has been declining ratings and the next season being the last.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:01 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,723,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
As proved by possibly the worse series finale ever!

Which is one of the highest-rated episodes of any TV series.

Goodbye, Farewell and Amen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For all the complaints about Alan Alda's influence on MASH, the series maintained high ratings.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:11 PM

632 posts, read 928,634 times
Saved by the Bell. They started out as middle school kids in Indiana and ended as high school kids in California.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:43 PM

8,030 posts, read 4,711,130 times
Gimme A Break! was originally the story of a widower/Police Chief (of Glenlawn, CA) with three teenaged girls who hires Nell, the best friend of his deceased wife to be a live-in housekeeper. Nell was always butting heads with The Chief because they had very different views of how to raise the girls.

Within a few years, the Chief was dead (the actor died), the oldest girl (?) moved away, the middle girl (Julie) got married, and Nell managed to adopt/take in a young boy, Joey. Nell's best friend Addy became more prominent in the series. Eventually Nell, Addy, the youngest girl (Samantha), and Joey packed up and moved to New York City. By the end of the series, the show was about Nell pursuing her music career and bickering with Addy a lot.

I liked Nell Carter, and she had great chemistry with both Dolph Sweet (the Chief) and of course with Telma Hopkins (Addy). But I liked Gimme a Break! a lot more before they moved the show to NYC.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:48 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,331,131 times
What a great thread to bring back nostalgia! I loved "Roseanne" at first. The first 2 seasons were awesome, the 3rd season started going downhill and by the mid 90's I did not recognize any of them. I loved Jackie as the slacker sister, but by the end of the run she was a parody of sorts, like Gilligan on Gilligans's Island.

I loved "a different world" the first season, then the second season on they lost me, I even recorded the Christmas episode season 1 and still have it on VHS somewhere in my attic.

Oh and how can I forget "Designing Women". The first season was awful with the whining Mary Joe, but by the 2nd season she toned down the fake southern accent and until season 6 or so when Delta Burke and the Charlene character left the show just imploded, the last 2 seasons they brought in so many new characters I don't' remember who I just remember Julia and Anthony were about the only original cast members.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:58 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,331,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Yup. And Ross' awkward insecure shleprock act was endearing on a guy in his mid to late 20s who had just been left by his wife. But as a three times divorced father of 2 in his mid to late thirties? Pathetic. LOL Ditto Joey's dumb cute guy routine. By the time he left he looked like the father of a teenager still acting like a borderline imbecile. And don't me started on Rachel's self-absorbed princess act. She was somebody's mom in her thirties still playing teenage games in her love life.

I was ready for that show to end, as much as I loved it.
This is spot on! I never really got into "friend" anyway, It premiered my 1st year in college and I did not watch much tv but I somehow always watched the Thanksgiving show each year, they were awesome, but I agree by the time the series ended they all looked like washed up 30 something, well pushing the big 40!

Old 06-02-2015, 01:40 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,244,634 times
This was a long time ago, but I remember how "LA Law" changed radically into something farcical in its last season. It was a crying shame.

"Harry's Law" is another one. Liked the first season but the second one was garbage.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:14 AM

290 posts, read 257,900 times
If it hasn't been said already I'd say X Files. The dynamic of Scully/Mulder was everything to the show. It ended without Mulder there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0sVps-bRsA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV