Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:02 PM

922 posts, read 1,149,281 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or are many weak acts going through only because of their sob stories? Golden buzzer used on a guy who is impossible to understand cause he stutters? Really Howie????

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 01:38 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
I agree. One act really impressed me (Siro-A), another I really liked (the European gymnasts) and a few others were decent enough to go through, like the hypnotist, the puppet and the kid dancers. Many others were just dumb, like the cuddler. Granted, many will be eliminated before the performances but others won't and we'll all complained why one act was eliminated while a joke act was put through.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:21 AM

922 posts, read 1,149,281 times
Hundreds of talented acts who didn't make it to the live auditions must've been thinking "WTF? We've practiced all our lives and got beat by a cuddler, stutterer and a giant creepy animal thingy?????"

Also isn't it Howie who always gets angry when a singer sings an original song? But he was fawning over the guy wrote about his son. I mean I felt bad that his son died but honestly I thought the song sucked and he was an avg singer at best but all the judges acted like it was Eric Clapton singing about his dead son.

And Howie wants to give $1 mil prize to the stutterer who tells awful jokes all because he feels bad that he stutters???? Why doesnt he just write him a personal check if he feels that bad? Plus didnt they have a stutterer few seasons ago who claimed as a war vet a bomb blew up next to him which caused him to stutter? Turned out he was a pathological liar who had never even seen combat. Not saying this kid is a liar too but you never know.

America's Got Talent has officially become the America's Got Sob Stories!

Old 05-29-2015, 12:44 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
Is it just me or are many weak acts going through only because of their sob stories? Golden buzzer used on a guy who is impossible to understand cause he stutters? Really Howie????

I began to question the entire show after Howie was hypnotized. I realize some people have a fear of germs, but it's very difficult to hypnotize someone with a long-term problem and cure him, even temporarily, in one brief session, if not impossible. Usually a technique like hypnosis can't convince someone to do something he abhors and fears.

Also, if hypnotizing someone with lifelong obsessions and addictions was so easy, this man would be very famous and rich and be written up in medical journals. OCD fears like the ones Jack Nicholson's character in "As Good As it Gets" require years of medication and support therapy. So that particular act made me a skeptic.

Please, if anyone reading this has an anxiety disorder or phobia, I am not minimizing them. I'm saying I believe stage hypnosis is fake. So the camera just happened to focus on a random girl in the audience who fell asleep and looked confused?

Old 05-29-2015, 12:00 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I began to question the entire show after Howie was hypnotized. I realize some people have a fear of germs, but it's very difficult to hypnotize someone with a long-term problem and cure him, even temporarily, in one brief session, if not impossible. Usually a technique like hypnosis can't convince someone to do something he abhors and fears.

Also, if hypnotizing someone with lifelong obsessions and addictions was so easy, this man would be very famous and rich and be written up in medical journals. OCD fears like the ones Jack Nicholson's character in "As Good As it Gets" require years of medication and support therapy. So that particular act made me a skeptic.

Please, if anyone reading this has an anxiety disorder or phobia, I am not minimizing them. I'm saying I believe stage hypnosis is fake. So the camera just happened to focus on a random girl in the audience who fell asleep and looked confused?
Yea that was weird...I found myself questioning if it was real or not.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:37 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,694,782 times
No way would I have put the hugger, hypnotist and singer through. Howie should NOT have used that Golden buzzer, especially since it was only the first show and even if the guy wasn't disabled, he was not funny IMO. Howie hypnotized...I don't think so and that girl in the audience was so phony!

Old 05-29-2015, 01:23 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,545,112 times
Very random (girl in audience) I also don't think he should've used the buzzer thing just yet. And whats up with them putting threw a few of these acts that were not funny (cuddler?)
I enjoy this show i think all the judges + nick have great chemistry. The kids in the beginning were cute.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I think they had really good talent this opening show but some were just silly. What's so special about a hypnotist making someone believe people were wearing gloves through hypnosis. That's what they do. I don't think that could cure anyone with OCD because from what I understand, the suggestion eventually wears off all by itself.

The cuddler was just plain stupid and a waste of time.

Sorry, but the comedian who stuttered was not a million dollar act nor was the singer whose son died of Cancer. They were entertaining but not a million dollars worth. Howie wasted his "golden ticket."

I guess they have to put a certain number of people through and they have to be certain they have to have a certain number to eliminate in the next round so that's why some go through who leave us scratching our heads as to why they made it.

Speaking of the golden buzzer, it's not a very well-thought out system. If a judge uses it too soon, he or she may regret it if they feel a more deserving act comes along later. If the judge waits, the opportunity may never appear to use it may happen. I think it would be better if they have the opportunity to use the golden buzzer once every show.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:57 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think they had really good talent this opening show but some were just silly. What's so special about a hypnotist making someone believe people were wearing gloves through hypnosis. That's what they do. I don't think that could cure anyone with OCD because from what I understand, the suggestion eventually wears off all by itself.
Years ago I spent a lot on hypnotists and nobody could even reduce my pain temporarily. I used to get headaches that lasted for weeks and couldn't function. I have heard of some cases in which people stopped smoking after several sessions, but that's because they had an addiction and wanted to stop. Howie has a lifelong fear of touching people and being touched, at least that's what he claimed in his 2009 book. However, he didn't seem to mind cuddling on top of Heidi Klum, with his cheek pressed to her bare back. (not that most men would complain! lol)
Quote:
The cuddler was just plain stupid and a waste of time.
Agree. I can't imagine what her next act with be.
Quote:
Sorry, but the comedian who stuttered was not a million dollar act nor was the singer whose son died of Cancer. They were entertaining but not a million dollars worth. Howie wasted his "golden ticket."
Well, after watching the "chicken catcher" win one year, I wasn't completely surprised. He couldn't even carry a tune. After he won, he cut an album and it didn't sell and he went into a bad slump. That show convinced him he was a star, so he must have been very disappointed.

I know it's been mentioned before, but every time they say "million dollar act" I want to throw a pillow at the TV. It is paid over 40 years. It's just 2.5% interest paid over 40 years. The lump sum option is a lot less. Then federal and state taxes are deducted.

Last edited by justNancy; 05-29-2015 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: fix typo. oops!

Old 05-29-2015, 05:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
It's more like in the rare event someone does become famous and successful like Susan Boyle or Terry Fador, they might achieve a million dollar contract or contracts, venues and record deals that lead up to a million dollars over time but they are not getting a million flat out from this show.

Jackie Evancho has carved out a nice career with CD's and repeat performances on PBS and various concert halls but I don't think she has ever gotten a million dollars all in one lump sum. She will probably have made that and maybe more in her lifetime before her career is over.

The most important thing I believe they should be selling is the opportunity for a strong career and steady work. That's probably the most important thing to any performer, to be able to work in their profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV