Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:22 PM

145 posts, read 435,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
Kids today just have different tastes than we did. My son likes Scooby Doo, Spongebob, and stuff like that but hates cartoons I grew up with. He actually watched The Jetsons (my favorite) and liked it the other day though

Nick is a little more grown up than Disney. My husband and I know as much about The Suite Life of Zach and Cody and Hannah Montana as our son. Corey in the House is hilariou and Wizards of Waverly Place is good. They are not heavy at all just funny.

No offense to anyone here but I hate shows and movies from the 50's and 60's b/c I can't relate to them. Our kids are probably the same way. Just my 2 cents.
I think Nick is ridiculous my 15 year old sister watches Zoey 101 - I never see any adults there. And recently Zoey moved to London with her parents, then moved bakc to PCA because Chase said he loved her but when she got back Chase had moved to London - in the middle of the school year. What type of parents and money do these kids have?

My daughter and lil brother who are both under 10 don't watch too many of today's cartoons. I know they like Spongebob, but I think that's about it. My daughter's all time favorite movie right now is Pete's Dragon and that came out before I was even born, she also likes Mary Poppins and Bed knobs and Broomsticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 11:10 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingTheSunshine View Post
I think Nick is ridiculous my 15 year old sister watches Zoey 101 - I never see any adults there. And recently Zoey moved to London with her parents, then moved bakc to PCA because Chase said he loved her but when she got back Chase had moved to London - in the middle of the school year. What type of parents and money do these kids have?

My daughter and lil brother who are both under 10 don't watch too many of today's cartoons. I know they like Spongebob, but I think that's about it. My daughter's all time favorite movie right now is Pete's Dragon and that came out before I was even born, she also likes Mary Poppins and Bed knobs and Broomsticks.
I loved Mary Poppins! I just watched the Jetsons Meet the Flintstones (or vice versa) last night. It still made me smile, all these years later. Zoey 101 is should be called the Really Young & Restless

Old 02-16-2008, 02:51 PM

979 posts, read 3,827,707 times
My sister only allows mostly noggin for her kids. Nickalodeon and Disney and especially cartoon network have crappy shows. They will watch mostly either noggin or movies that have been watched and ok'd by her and and my BIL.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:41 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,105,115 times
Did you all know that Nick is owned by the same owners as MTV? Scary huh?

Old 02-17-2008, 04:48 PM

979 posts, read 3,827,707 times
Oh wow. I didn't. Mtv is soooooooo so so bad. I can not believe they allow that kinda stuff on television. And to think their target audience are young teens! It's sickening.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:01 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missncr View Post
Did you all know that Nick is owned by the same owners as MTV? Scary huh?
That explains why all the "teenage" girls look like they are at a casting call for the Real World.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:12 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,925,857 times
Sorry, I did not get a chance to read all the posts, but....

There are a lot of good childrens shows on, you just have to pay for it. I have the family package on D-TV and there are a ton of choices.

From all the old shows like Tom & Jerry, Flinstones, Bugs Bunny etc.

Even some of the new ones are good: Jimmy Neutron, Sponge Bob, Wonder Pets, Super Why, Little Bill, and even non-cartoon shows like Drake & Josh, and iCarly.

You just have to watch them first, and see if they are suitable for your kids. Everyone's idea of an appropriate show is different. I have a Tivo, so if the kids like a certain show, I record them, so they can go on and just pick the show they want to watch.

No amount of complaining is going to turn TV wholesome. Money talks, especially on tv. You just have to monitor what your kids watch, and if they do see something they shouldn't, there is an opportunity to teach them why it was wrong. Then make sure they don't see it again.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,669 times
Default Todays kids shows stink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I grew up partially during the 80's. Which although a lot less PC, I feel was a golden age for children's shows and cartoons. My sis (she's 5 years older than me) and I often make jokes about how crappy the shows are for kids now.

I agree Avatar is good, I like it myself. But most everything else absolutely stinks.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:09 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I have a theory as to why children's television shows of today suck. Maybe because we aren't children?
No, I don't think that is the reason. I think we all still have an "inner child" in us and something "good" would appeal to it. I totally agree with natalay. Children's programs are terrible now! I grew up in the 50's and 60's and could not wait for Saturday mornings and all the cowboy shows and cartoons! It made Saturday mornings so very special and sometimes when I wake up on a Sat. morning, I still feel the exhileration of that morning! LOL then I really wake up and think of all the "grownup" things I have to do.

Kids are not allowed to be kids for very long now. That is such a shame. IMO they miss out on so many wonderful memories to comfort us when we get older.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:41 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,345,400 times
Good ole Leave it To Beaver---Gumby, Davey and Goliath!!
ALL FANTASTIC SHOWS!!These were the BEST shows in the 70's on tv...Davey and Goliath had morals to the story and made you actually think when you were a kid! I have D and Goliath on DVD's that I let my kids watch. They love it too!

Now Nickolodeon---I never let my kids watch that. It's all garbage...Dora and Diego-Backyardigans..BLAH!!!

Some PBS shows are ok...Clifford,Arthur or Caillou....
Look at all the garbage for the adults on !! Poor kids. They have nothing worthwile on tv to watch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV