Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 08:05 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i got to the third or four episode, im trying to follow, i like the idea but its too dark, why the drug use. the show sucks. maybe one more episode and then im gone. its just too creepy, i like slater but, this show sucks. and i waited all week for it.
I think the drug use motif is a blatant rip off of BBC Sherlocked and Elementary. The genious with an addiction on TV started with House. It's starting to be predictable and overused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 08:24 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
To be fair, BBC's Sherlock and Elementary, as deliberate derivatives of the Sherlock Holmes stories, rightfully should reflect the drug use motif that were a feature of the original source material. Counting them as two additional instances of the motif, therefore, doesn't make sense. I'm not saying that there aren't others, but the Sherlock Holmes stories, BBC's Sherlock and Elementary count as one (1) example of the motif, and therefore Mr. Robot counts only as a second. If there is any overuse within this set, it is the existence of BBC's Sherlock and Elementary as deliberate derivatives.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:48 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
USA has been changing their programming style for about a year. They are trying to air more "edgy" type stuff, and less of the "blue-sky" they've been known for before. For example, Mr. Robot is edgier, White Collar is blue-sky.
I didn't like White Collar, either. That show and Suits were wussy to me. Every once and awhile I'll watch an SVU re-run that I haven't seen a bazillion times.

The problem is if you don't watch anything on the channel anymore then you miss any advertising for new shows. That's why for several years I had no idea what was on the broadcast channels. Right now, I only watch 3 broadcast channel shows (Gotham, The Blacklist and Wayward Pines) and two are on the same channel. Every other drama I watch is on Sundance, FX, TNT, A&E, Showtime. I have no idea what is on ABC or CBS. I only watched Mr Robot because I was looking at the USA offerings On Demand and decided to try it. I just thought it was too talky but I'm going with "too talky" means cheaper to make.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:23 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
I love the show but this last episode was a little out there. I dont quite get the Wellick character but Im sure on a second watch it will make more sense

Old 07-09-2015, 09:34 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
My husband and I watch, but I have a hard time deciding if stuff is real or in his head. I was glad he had the dealer arrested for what that's worth. Also does the evilcorp logo look like the enron logo to anyone else?

Old 07-10-2015, 06:25 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,583 times
Same here Spazcat. I'm enjoying the show, but having a hard time distinguishing what is real and what is in Elliot's head.

For instance - what company would pick the name "Evil Corp"? I thought it was a nickname they used at Allsafe, but then when they showed the news story at the employee BBQ, it was written out "Evil Corp" at the bottom of the TV screen.

Also, when Elliot and whatshisname-Christian-Slater were in the Allsafe office, and later in the bar, nobody engaged with Slater at all. Not in the office, where he was yelling and making a ruckus, and not in the bar where the bartender only spoke to Elliot.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:17 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMNan View Post
For instance - what company would pick the name "Evil Corp"? I thought it was a nickname they used at Allsafe, but then when they showed the news story at the employee BBQ, it was written out "Evil Corp" at the bottom of the TV screen.
The only explanation I could come up with to get over the "suspension of disbelief" barrier that imposed was that everything we're seeing is warped by the main character's perception of reality. The women he is attracted to may be unattractive in reality; the open areas with dirt may actually have flowers and grass; etc. If we're seeing reality, as outside observers, instead of seeing his corrupted view of things, then the whole program falls apart in my mind.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:11 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
That's what I'm thinking, we're seeing everything through his eyes. He has schizophrenia if I understood correctly. That's why he sees the doctor correct?

Old 07-10-2015, 08:57 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The only explanation I could come up with to get over the "suspension of disbelief" barrier that imposed was that everything we're seeing is warped by the main character's perception of reality. The women he is attracted to may be unattractive in reality; the open areas with dirt may actually have flowers and grass; etc. If we're seeing reality, as outside observers, instead of seeing his corrupted view of things, then the whole program falls apart in my mind.
I like this explanation. I hope that's where they are are going with it. Really interesting premise.
And then it would follow that he wasn't pushed off the dock by Slater, but jumped.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:24 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I've only watched ep 1 so far and I liked that. Don't like the shrink though, I haven't liked her in other things either.

I have a (fantasay) vigilante streak and totally get him turning people in. I would love to be able to do that!

Loved that he took the bad man's dog away from him. That guy was such a prick when he was trying to get it to pee.

It does have a Beautiful Mind sort of vibe going on. I do hope the actual events turn out to be real and the point of view is his (evil corp on the tv news etc.) I'm just not into dream sequences or it was all in his mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV