Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 03:13 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times

Advertisements

Mini-series were, at the time they were more common, the only means of getting long-form television programming. Most other television programming, at the time, was driven to tell stories that could be introduced, exposed, and conclude within 45 minutes. Mini-series recognized that no substantial stories could legitimately be told in such a short period of time. Hill Street Blues made it clear that long-form television programming didn't have to be constrained to the mini-series form - that instead long-form television programming could tell stories over the course of a number of episodes, eventually leading to programming such as Babylon 5 and Mad Men and such, deliberately designed to tell a cohesive story over the course of about a hundred episodes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 10:01 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Mini-series were, at the time they were more common, the only means of getting long-form television programming. Most other television programming, at the time, was driven to tell stories that could be introduced, exposed, and conclude within 45 minutes. Mini-series recognized that no substantial stories could legitimately be told in such a short period of time. Hill Street Blues made it clear that long-form television programming didn't have to be constrained to the mini-series form - that instead long-form television programming could tell stories over the course of a number of episodes, eventually leading to programming such as Babylon 5 and Mad Men and such, deliberately designed to tell a cohesive story over the course of about a hundred episodes.

There were serialized television before, such as The Fugitive. There were min-series before the 1970s, such as The Prisoner. And stories weren't 45 minutes long in the 1970s. They were 52 minutes in the 1980s, longer before that. There would be single longer commercial, not a group of 20 second spots, but commercials that lasted a full minute or so.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:06 AM
bUU

You're missing the point.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:46 PM

Didn't miss any points. You stated that their purpose was to provide a longer form of story telling than 45 minute episodes. True. But episodes back then were longer than 45 minutes and had more content. And episodic TV series and long-form story telling were around before Hill Street Blues, as well as the heyday of the mini-series during the 70s and 80s.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:50 AM
bUU

I don't see how you can compare 52 minutes to 100 hours but it doesn't seem to be worth the bother to try to explain it further.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I don't see how you can compare 52 minutes to 100 hours but it doesn't seem to be worth the bother to try to explain it further.
I made that minor correction to your original post, not to conflict with what you were trying to say (which I agreed with). It's just a minor correction, no biggie.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:54 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Not mentioned yet is the best one that was made, "Masada" in 1981 with Peter O' Toole delivering one of the finest performances of his career.

I really liked the mini series format, it allowed story development that you did not get in the 30 or 60 minute constraints of standard tv. Roots, Rich Man/Poor Man, Shogun, Lonesome Dove...all top notch entertainment. Some were not that great, I could never remember which was which...The Blue and the Grey or The North and the South..neither was especially memorable except that in one of them it was incredibly annoying how they kept having these two guys keep winding up facing one another across battlefields.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:57 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Well, I remember when a miniseries was a miniseries , and not a two-part movie.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:58 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
Before Roots, you either had a series that you could watch any week or not watch some weeks and not miss anything. You could enjoy each episode on its own merits. Or you had a series that, if you missed one episode, you have a hole in the plot that you had to ask someone else about, because they had hopefully seen it.

With the miniseries, starting with Roots, you knew you had a finite number of shows to set time aside to watch. I don't remember if anyone ever did a study, but I am willing to bet that when Roots was first broadcast, the restaurants and bars had a significant drop in business.

Now, with DVRs and such there is no need to stay home to watch a series like True Detective. I will probably keep watching the second version of TD, whether I like the show or not, because the first was so good, and I know they will have a final ending at the end of the season.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:57 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
When I researched this topic before starting the thread, I was surprised to learn there was a North and South, Book Three, which aired in the mid-1990s. I remember the first two, which starred Patrick Swayze. Swayze was not in the third N&S, however. By then he was well-established as a big-screen leading man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td6nOLkzdgw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV