Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 10:56 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times

Advertisements

I think the Betazoids were close allies, as well. And maybe those "Dax" creatures who we didn't meet until DS9.

I thought part of the treaty between Federation members is that they would protect each other. It's just that we would meet one of the groups and then they would disappear forever from future stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 12:03 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I think we can consider the Betazoids allies, as well.
I never got a full sense of their power. The space and resources they controlled - or their fleet. And now that I think about it, were they still separate or were they now just part of the Federation. I think the story could have been better served if there was a full fledge faction, that was a close ally, that was separate from the Federation but had just as much power, influence and technology as the Romulan or Klingons had.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:15 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I never got a full sense of their power. The space and resources they controlled - or their fleet. And now that I think about it, were they still separate or were they now just part of the Federation. I think the story could have been better served if there was a full fledge faction, that was a close ally, that was separate from the Federation but had just as much power, influence and technology as the Romulan or Klingons had.
They were part of the Federation Counselor Troi of TNGs Enterprise being Betazoid's most famous daughter

Old 07-10-2015, 01:26 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I think the Betazoids were close allies, as well. And maybe those "Dax" creatures who we didn't meet until DS9.

I thought part of the treaty between Federation members is that they would protect each other. It's just that we would meet one of the groups and then they would disappear forever from future stories.
Crusher was in love with one of those "dax creatures" then he came back as a woman

Old 07-10-2015, 01:47 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Yes, thanks for this.

I guess I see the "alternate" world as being more realistic. It should've been that way all the time. Maybe if the Klingon Alliance wasn't so tenuous. Maybe if the Romulans weren't such a threat. Maybe if the Cardacians didn't exist at all. The only true ally they had were the Vulcans, and there just weren't enough of them, nor were they capable or willing to get their hands dirty in case of all out war.
Part of it is when trek began, we were mired in the Viet Nam war. We had riots and anger and burning buildings. Our real world wasn't one we thought we should have. I'm not sure if the later production gods vision of a much more realistic and meaner universe would have quite done the same. It was this haven where there was hope and you could believe in tomorrow. It also harked back to the old west and the exploration of new, unfamiliar places.

When tng came along, the great bird wanted it the same. The new production team had different ideas. The frontier is past. They are big players in their universe. They kept the feds more honorable than they are at the end of DS9, but they showed how much risk there was out there. It wasn't quite the same though because you didn't expect to have to fight for you life every day. But someone like the Cardassian who kidnapped and tortured Picard (the five lights) was out there. And the alliance with the Klingons was always up to who won the life and death battle for Chancellor.

The Borg is really what woke them up. Without that there wouldn't be a defiant class warship with fleets of them now. It was sort of their 9-11.

The impression given about Starfleet, or those parts in the immediate shadow of Earth and those who live on Earth, is they are somewhat blissfully unaware. There are elements there too, and some of them just don't want to believe the whole mountain could fall and end in war. When San Franciso is attacked and the bridge is broken by the Dominon, symbolic but a powerful warning, it sends them into shock.

It's interesting the entire Dominion war arc, including the beginnings and first clues, were carefully planned out by the production team, and it was scattered in early seasons so it didn't just come from nowhere.

In a way, Sisko is symbolic of the effect of the Borg, since we see glimses of a man who grew up in New Orleans, and loved the dream. Then his wife is dead, his son his responsibility, and he changed and saw life through a glass darkly until an alien priestess showed him there was more. But he always favored action over waiting or hoping.

I remember being fifteen and my friends doing our own episodes (fortunately the tapes are long dead) and being out own little fandom. But we loved the inspiration and the idea that even in the mess of a world we lived in (mid sixties) there could be a peaceful and equal society. It definately was part of what we loved. But as life went on, the thing I loved about the later tng's and DS9 was the portrait of this empire (for the feds were an empire) sitting smuggly on its hands while an unpredictable galaxy was already changing around them and wondering when things were going to begin to change. It rather matched the feeling I had about the future as a teen making startrek tapes, that there was bad stuff waiting around the corner and we wouldn't know when, but we had to have something to believe in anyway.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
They were part of the Federation Counselor Troi of TNGs Enterprise being Betazoid's most famous daughter
Yes of course - I know that - I know who and what they are, that's not what I'm getting at. What I'm saying is, did they have their own separate sector of space, or where they just another state in the union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Part of it is when trek began, we were mired in the Viet Nam war. We had riots and anger and burning buildings. Our real world wasn't one we thought we should have. I'm not sure if the later production gods vision of a much more realistic and meaner universe would have quite done the same. It was this haven where there was hope and you could believe in tomorrow. It also harked back to the old west and the exploration of new, unfamiliar places.

When tng came along, the great bird wanted it the same. The new production team had different ideas. The frontier is past. They are big players in their universe. They kept the feds more honorable than they are at the end of DS9, but they showed how much risk there was out there. It wasn't quite the same though because you didn't expect to have to fight for you life every day. But someone like the Cardassian who kidnapped and tortured Picard (the five lights) was out there. And the alliance with the Klingons was always up to who won the life and death battle for Chancellor.

The Borg is really what woke them up. Without that there wouldn't be a defiant class warship with fleets of them now. It was sort of their 9-11.

The impression given about Starfleet, or those parts in the immediate shadow of Earth and those who live on Earth, is they are somewhat blissfully unaware. There are elements there too, and some of them just don't want to believe the whole mountain could fall and end in war. When San Franciso is attacked and the bridge is broken by the Dominon, symbolic but a powerful warning, it sends them into shock.

It's interesting the entire Dominion war arc, including the beginnings and first clues, were carefully planned out by the production team, and it was scattered in early seasons so it didn't just come from nowhere.

In a way, Sisko is symbolic of the effect of the Borg, since we see glimses of a man who grew up in New Orleans, and loved the dream. Then his wife is dead, his son his responsibility, and he changed and saw life through a glass darkly until an alien priestess showed him there was more. But he always favored action over waiting or hoping.
Well, that makes more sense. By "great bird" do you mean NBC? I enjoyed the premise of DS9 more, maybe just not quite its execution - but the whole teetering on the edge of a catastrophic loss seemed more realistic to me.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:53 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Yes, Barkley evolving...wowsa!

Old 07-11-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Yes, Barkley evolving...wowsa!
Ha ha, that episode annoyed me too. It was almost like when Wesley went off to be with the Traveler or whatever. I just couldn't understand how Howling Mad Murdoch had become such a milquetoast and made it so high up in the Federation and serve on the flagship.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:37 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Ha Ha. If that episode aired today, when he came back as a woman, Crusher would just go for the woman.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:58 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Default ))

Quote:
I tended to change the channel if it was Wesley or Lwaxana Troi episode...

Don't know why you assume Worf slapped Deanna around.

Whenever they tried to write in a love interest for LaForge, things tended to get awkward. But I liked the episode where he played "CSI" to try to figure out what happened to an away team that was evolving into the indigineous life unbeknownst to them and wandering off in the woods. It was creepy to me when I first saw it and the holodeck computer extrapolated the unknown form watching from the brush.
I think the Worf thing is a bit like Luke and Leia kissing. In retrospect it looks wierd now that we have some idea of what Klingon romance is like, but the writers like George Lucas were making things up as they went so you get odd stuff happening because the creators know just as little as the characters do. On the other hand, while Deanna seems unlikely to be afill the role of a proper Klingon female, Worf was a lot more open to other cultures than most Klingons so maybe they found some happy medium due to a intrinsic attraction.

Geordi did get the short end of the stick with girlfriends though. It sort of ties back into the Worf/Deanna thing. Tasha Yar died early on, Guinan was more of an oracle figure, and Crusher was a matronly figure who had this almost unspoken relationship with Picard since her dead husband was his best friend. In other words only one oft curing female character was available while you had three male main cast members. I mean once Obrien became a regular enough guest star they just wrote it in that he was married, but Geordi's character was too established to believably pull this off. If they had made Ensign/Lt. Ro (the Bajoran woman who I think ends up in Federation prison after joining the Maquis) a main or even regular guest character she could have served to open up the romantic possibilities for Riker, Worf, and LaForge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV