Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 04:44 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

So then Mao was selling protomolecule to both Earth and Mars, which was to be expected, but his relationship with Martian government was official (albeit secret) and his relationship with Earth was unofficial, clandestine, through one official. So Mau was running two completely segregated protomolecule compartments, an advanced one for Mars and a retarded one for Earth.

Not sure why Holden and company haven't questioned it, though.

I liked seeing the Belters on doomed Ganymede pull together and become willing to allow the orderly selection of the small number that would be saved.

I liked Draper in the background on Mau's ship stuffing her face with cucumber sandwiches. Not much humor in this show, but that was funny.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 04-13-2017 at 04:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 11:23 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
I don't understand why the protomolocule being was part man-made/metal/electronic. I thought the whole thing was that it would be a combination of a human and an extraterrestrial being. Why would it be part man-made at all? Because of interference by the evil corporation?

Either way, I was all prepared for the Being to turn out to be friendly and to speak in Thomas Jane's voice and join the Rocinante gang. Didn't go that way this season, but next???

Old 04-20-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I don't understand why the protomolocule being was part man-made/metal/electronic. I thought the whole thing was that it would be a combination of a human and an extraterrestrial being. Why would it be part man-made at all? Because of interference by the evil corporation?

Either way, I was all prepared for the Being to turn out to be friendly and to speak in Thomas Jane's voice and join the Rocinante gang. Didn't go that way this season, but next???
I would not say that any of it was man-made. We got a quick sighting of a protomolecule being in the first season finale, and saw that it was still an energy-eater (as Alex reminded us).

There is still the issue, however, that protomolecule as we saw it from Ares/Eros/Venus is substantially different from what we're seeing from Ganymede, even though the Ares/Eros/Venus protomolecule has also consumed humans (even more of them). That difference, I suppose, is because of the human intervention.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:14 AM

923 posts, read 1,502,073 times
I just discovered The Expanse (on a friend's recommendation) and watched the first two episodes last night.
Great show! I didn't know SyFy did anything this good...I had written them off after Sharknado.

Will be watching at least two episodes a night on Amazon until I get caught up.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud View Post
I just discovered The Expanse (on a friend's recommendation) and watched the first two episodes last night.
Great show! I didn't know SyFy did anything this good...I had written them off after Sharknado.

Will be watching at least two episodes a night on Amazon until I get caught up.
Freaking awesome show.

Hint: Pay close attention to Alex. He's not just mindless muscle. Watch his eyes, watch who he's watching and how he observes people closely.

Alex has a broken moral compass...and he knows it's broken. In a savant-ish way, he's more astutely observant of human nature than any other character on the show. He knows he can't make good moral decisions, so he is always on the lookout for the best moral compass to follow. This is kind of a spoiler, but if I don't tell you, you'll miss the early clues to one of the most enjoyable points of the program.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:13 PM

923 posts, read 1,502,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Freaking awesome show.

Hint: Pay close attention to Alex. He's not just mindless muscle. Watch his eyes, watch who he's watching and how he observes people closely.

Alex has a broken moral compass...and he knows it's broken. In a savant-ish way, he's more astutely observant of human nature than any other character on the show. He knows he can't make good moral decisions, so he is always on the lookout for the best moral compass to follow. This is kind of a spoiler, but if I don't tell you, you'll miss the early clues to one of the most enjoyable points of the program.
Thanks for the tip, I don't mind some mild spoilers. ;-)

Old 06-28-2017, 12:41 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,766,094 times
It took a few years but SyFy FINALLY got it's act together. I stopped watching when most of their programming was that ghost hunting nonsense and contest shows like Face Off. Shows like The Expanse brought me back. All the network is missing is a show that's light and somewhat comedic. Everything scripted is super serious shoot em up. Don't get me wrong I love that stuff but where's the show to pick up where Eureka and Warehouse 13 left off?

Old 06-28-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesG73 View Post
Don't get me wrong I love that stuff but where's the show to pick up where Eureka and Warehouse 13 left off?
For sure.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:19 PM

More of the best SF you're not watching on television:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrEta-OPhz0

It's even been a source of some great fan products:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIEeVx2MAjQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXxxLxCv2ec

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 07-18-2017 at 06:30 PM..

Old 07-18-2017, 06:29 PM

I just realized "The Expanse" passes the Bechdel Test. For anyone who may care. It has women talking to each other about things other than men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV