Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 06:47 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,396 times

Advertisements

So probably my least favorite network is going to try and cash in on the LOTR and GOT popularity by making a series out of these books. I read these books over a decade ago and remember them being pretty good but not one of my favorite series by a long stretch.

MTV doing this series seems like a disaster waiting to happen. I dunno how they will screw it up but I imagine they will find a way. The trailer however looks pretty good.

Since they show the elfstones in the trailer and the obvious bad guy, I am assuming they are starting with the second book and not the first. Unless we are going to get some really condensed version of all 3 of the first books, which I doubt because if it turns out as good as the sets look then they are gonna want to milk it for all its worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crjkQHnDYu0

My main fear is that this being on MTV they will try to tweak the story line to appeal to their viewing base and wreck the original story.

Last edited by justanokie; 07-11-2015 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 08:07 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
look uo The Seeker on old syfy channel was shanarra and I thought well done

Old 07-12-2015, 05:38 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
look uo The Seeker on old syfy channel was shanarra and I thought well done
The Seeker was a TV show based on the Sword of Truth books by Terry Goodkind. I read the books and the TV shows were ok but a far cry from how well Game of Thrones has been executed. Of course there is probably a big difference in budget also.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:16 PM

812 posts, read 736,742 times
This previews on January 5th and as a fan of the book, I am really looking forward to it. Judging by the trailers that have been released, MTV ponied up the cash for high production values. As long as they stay fairly faithful to the story of the book, this should be a good series to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCr3z_sTSNU

Old 12-15-2015, 03:19 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Wow I remember when MTV played music videos. What happened?

Old 12-15-2015, 04:34 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Wow I remember when MTV played music videos. What happened?
Times change. Why sit around all day waiting for a video when you can just pull it up on Youtube? MTV evolved with the times.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:22 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Sonar is making this series, not MTV Productions. Like Fish Taco said, MTV is only broadcasting it. Sonar isn't new to this. They've been producing genre programming since 1988. However, bankruptcy and a change in leadership means they're essentially a new company, now. The only series that we can look at to get an idea of how well Sonar does this stuff is WE's South of Hell, starring Mena Suvari, and that's a pretty bad sign. A.V. Club said of South of Hell, "Almost everything ... in South Of Hell is ... literal, over-explained, and overworked... the premiere is plodding where it could be exciting, silly where it could be scary, and prurient where it could be perverse. It repeats its plot points and relationships tediously, never trusting the audience to pick up a hint." Ouch.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:08 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Well, on the bright side it looks like the studio actually spent some money on this.

On the other hand, I was never too impressed with the books to begin with. I suspect this will feel a lot more like Xena: Warrior Princess than Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:25 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Well, on the bright side it looks like the studio actually spent some money on this.

On the other hand, I was never too impressed with the books to begin with. I suspect this will feel a lot more like Xena: Warrior Princess than Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings.
I loved the original books back when they came out almost 40 years ago - 1977 was Sword of Shannara, while Elfstones was 1982. However, I was 10 1/2 when Sword came out and I was right in the perfect age range for the book. The books are series more for mature kids, tweens and young teens than adults.

Supposedly, they are skipping Sword of Shannara since they didn't want to be accused of ripping off Lord of the Rings and Sword is very similar.

Manu Bennet is a busy actor - Crixus in Spartacus, Azog in the Hobbit movies, Slade Wilson in Arrow and now Allanon in Shannara.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:33 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Supposedly, they are skipping Sword of Shannara since they didn't want to be accused of ripping off Lord of the Rings and Sword is very similar.
Yeah, I recognized that even when I read the books in junior high. Every time I finished a chapter of The Sword of Shannara, I asked myself, "How did Brooks not get sued? This is just a straight up rip off The Lord of the Rings! Almost scene for scene in places."

I think I read the first three books in the series. Maybe four. But I haven't read them since junior high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV