Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 10:20 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
And rap. I hated that guy who rap hopped around the stage and spoke half his lines. I was like WTH, this is country now?

Also hated the black guy whose name I thought was the name of the song. I guess it's a good thing I don't vote anymore because my tastes are so far off from the people who actually buy music, if these two are any indication.

Yep, and Beieber? Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 10:58 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Jeffery to me has sealed his fate, not due to depressing music, but because a lot of people who vote are of the "traditional values" type. He never changed the genders of the song so when it was a female singing to a male, he was singing to a male. I think that bothered a lot of the "traditional values" folk. You don't think much about it when it is a straight guy that doesn't change it. I personally didn't mind as I am not that type, but I see how it is off-putting to the "traditional values" type. That is a sad statement to make in 2015, but it is what it is. Sure, Jordan's looks and voice are non-traditional, but he also has a girlfriend and went to a religious college.

Then, there are the people who also just don't like Gwen Stefani.

Part of what makes the show so fascinating is looking at how people vote on this show from an anthropological viewpoint. Jeffery and Jordan were both in leagues ahead of everyone else. Some weeks, Jordan would do better, others it felt like Jeffery was better. But anthropologically, Jordan always had the Christian vote in his back pocket.
I don't agree. You're assuming that Christians only vote for A. heterosexuals and B. people who go to Christian colleges. Neither assumption is valid. Many Christians vote on who they like best, as do others. Besides, I always thought Jordan was also gay. I had no idea he had a girlfriend. Probably many of the bigots thought that he was gay, so if they thought that and couldn't handle the idea of a gay man winning the competition regardless of talent, they would vote for neither him nor Jeffrey (maybe they were the unicorns who voted for Barrett) The personal background of the contestants is irrelevant to me. I value the contestants based on their voice, and I'm sure probably many other viewers do as well. Shocking, isn't it?

Quote:
There was a slate article on something like this recently about how The Voice might be one of the most overtly religious primetime shows.
God, religion, and Jordan Smith on The Voice.
I was wondering about that. Pharrell turns me off with his constant references to religion and praying gestures. And so many of the contestants sing religious songs or reference God helping them advance/win/whatever. Religious songs are fine in small doses, but too much is too much for some viewers. (Korinne from last season comes to mind). People help the contestants advance: Americans' votes, or the judges, and their great voices come from people too: their parents' DNA, and oftentimes vocal training by human beings.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:23 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,183 times
People do vote to advance the contestants, and despite what CD says many Americans believe in God. The contestants and judges have freedom of religion too, or they did the last time I checked. I am tired of Christians being told to not display our religion because someone else might not agree with it.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:36 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't agree. You're assuming that Christians only vote for A. heterosexuals and B. people who go to Christian colleges. Neither assumption is valid. Many Christians vote on who they like best, as do others. Besides, I always thought Jordan was also gay. I had no idea he had a girlfriend. Probably many of the bigots thought that he was gay, so if they thought that and couldn't handle the idea of a gay man winning the competition regardless of talent, they would vote for neither him nor Jeffrey (maybe they were the unicorns who voted for Barrett) The personal background of the contestants is irrelevant to me. I value the contestants based on their voice, and I'm sure probably many other viewers do as well. Shocking, isn't it?
I'm pretty sure we saw Jordan's girlfriend when he auditioned didn't we? People who care about others' sexuality would have noticed and remembered he's not gay.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:37 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I think that a lot of people DO vote for someone that they want to have win based on the background. Heck, I am even guilty of it in the fact that I dislike Emily Ann for being another blonde teenage "country girl." We're all human and have reasons for liking the things we like and don't like, you know?

There was absolutely no question that Jordan is a religious guy. He sang a hymn, mentions that he grew up singing in church, went to a Christian college. He made you try to guess his orientation, but we have seen his girlfriend a couple of times at least.

Jeffery did none of those things. I am not sure what his religious affiliation is, but he hadn't really made it known. He did, however, make it very clear what his orientation was.

I am just stating that there are many people who would be turned off by Jeffery based on those things. There are many people who don't care, but I have noticed one thing about the Voice: the hymns and religious songs SELL. If you're in the bottom three the week before, sing a hymn. I don't doubt that worked against Jeffery and it's why I'm not shocked he came in 4th despite being better than at least Barrett and being super consistent as a good performer most of the season.

It's also not something I am personally stating ALL Christians do or that you personally DO. Just that it happens and I think it influenced Jeffery's low showing and requiring the twitter save even. There is absolutely no way, two weeks in a row, he should have been below Barrett.

Last edited by randomlikeme; 12-16-2015 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: formatting paragraph spacing :)

Old 12-16-2015, 11:43 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
I think grouping every black contestant together for that one song came across that way to me. As though all should be lumped together on that basis alone. The show itself isn't racist, but that particular move to me felt weird like they were trying to be overly PC.
We'll just have to disagree on that.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:48 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
Not a fan of the show after blakes people always seem to win. It gets tiring watching them posture. Looks phony. Don't like singing shows. Wish they would go,off the air....

Old 12-16-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
. many Americans believe in God.
It's most, by a long shot. I always ifi d it nteresting that so many on CD are so anti-God, but when you look at the research based on polls of actual real-life people, its completely flip-flopped from the vocal cd forum. I guess that is just another indicator if how much this forum does not represent the real population.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I think that a lot of people DO vote for someone that they want to have win based on the background. Heck, I am even guilty of it in the fact that I dislike Emily Ann for being another blonde teenage "country girl." We're all human and have reasons for liking the things we like and don't like, you know?

There was absolutely no question that Jordan is a religious guy. He sang a hymn, mentions that he grew up singing in church, went to a Christian college. He made you try to guess his orientation, but we have seen his girlfriend a couple of times at least.

Jeffery did none of those things. I am not sure what his religious affiliation is, but he hadn't really made it known. He did, however, make it very clear what his orientation was.

I am just stating that there are many people who would be turned off by Jeffery based on those things. There are many people who don't care, but I have noticed one thing about the Voice: the hymns and religious songs SELL. If you're in the bottom three the week before, sing a hymn. I don't doubt that worked against Jeffery and it's why I'm not shocked he came in 4th despite being better than at least Barrett and being super consistent as a good performer most of the season.

It's also not something I am personally stating ALL Christians do or that you personally DO. Just that it happens and I think it influenced Jeffery's low showing and requiring the twitter save even. There is absolutely no way, two weeks in a row, he should have been below Barrett.
I thought Jeffery should have been gone long ago. Has nothing to do with his background and everything to do with his voice. I could name three people that I would have rather stayed on, instead of him. His voice was good, but he rarely ever blew me away with anything.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Jordan needs to be on Broadway. He also could easily be a singer of Christian music. I think the right one won, but Barrett should not even have been in the finals or on the show.
Completely agree!! I kept thinking that he had to get voted off...but that's the country music base at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV