Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 04:21 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Why is that necessary? It's a change in season, and an inevitable change in focus due to a change in the cast. What makes you think we had as much insight into the character when she was a truly secondary character - when so much of the screen time was tied up with Kara coming to grips with who she is as a superhero and when so much of the screen time was tied up with Kara and Cat's relationship. When you move something in the background to the foreground, you're bound to suddenly see details that weren't evident to you before.

If Season 1 had featured a lot of detail about Alex dating men, I think you'd have a point. It didn't. Like sonnymarkjiz said, Alex was one-dimensional. Now she's not. That is the sudden change. And switching a good actress' character from one-dimensional to multi-dimensional makes the show is better for it (again, regrettably because of the talent gap at the top of the cast). There was no sudden change in Alex's sexuality; we just didn't have enough insight into the character in Season 1 to know much of anything in that regard.

They did the suitable buildup to the Kara and Jimmy thing, and even despite that it seemed forced.

I don't agree that A necessarily has to mean B.
We can agree to disagree. For me it seems forced. To you it was inevitable. That's ok. I guess all that matters is that we are both still watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 06:23 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,986,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
The problem (at least with me) isnt that she's gay. the problem is that it seemed to come out of the blue. In a tv show usually there are hints to the audience that the character is struggling with it so that ultimately we know it is coming before the character realizes it. That didnt happen here so it makes it seem random and forced.
Quote:
Why is that necessary? It's a change in season, and an inevitable change in focus due to a change in the cast. What makes you think we had as much insight into the character when she was a truly secondary character - when so much of the screen time was tied up with Kara coming to grips with who she is as a superhero and when so much of the screen time was tied up with Kara and Cat's relationship. When you move something in the background to the foreground, you're bound to suddenly see details that weren't evident to you before.

If Season 1 had featured a lot of detail about Alex dating men, I think you'd have a point. It didn't. Like sonnymarkjiz said, Alex was one-dimensional. Now she's not. That is the sudden change. And switching a good actress' character from one-dimensional to multi-dimensional makes the show is better for it (again, regrettably because of the talent gap at the top of the cast). There was no sudden change in Alex's sexuality; we just didn't have enough insight into the character in Season 1 to know much of anything in that regard.

They did the suitable buildup to the Kara and Jimmy thing, and even despite that it seemed forced.

I don't agree that A necessarily has to mean B.
Here's my take on it:

In the Agents of s.h.i.e.l.d. thread, I had a discussion with someone who didn't think that the Agent May character was interesting and didn't have depth. I argued that the way that this character was was the way that she was suppose to be. Same thing with Alex.

In season one Alex was kind of this hard-nosed, militant, a** kicking, one dimensional, almost asexual character who we came to know and liked for who she was.(Or at least, that's how I felt about her.)

However, perhaps what seemed forced and random with Alex's character is that they kind of did a 180 with her character where all of the sudden they made her vulnerable and weepy and kind of preoccupied with her sexuality and her romantic feelings. And it was kind of like there being a very strong damn one moment, and then all of the sudden, the next moment, that strong damn cracks wide open and now everything is flooded and wet.

But perhaps they could have builded up slower to Alex's 'coming out' storyline and perhaps could have had it in the middle of the season and threw in hints along the way.

Plus, it would have been the same way if Alex turned out to be heterosexual, where one moment she almost seems like she's asexual, and then all of the sudden, she gets involved with some guy and gets her heart broken, and now everything is about Alex getting her break broken by some guy.

Or at least that's my take on it.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:56 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I'm not sure there is one show today where someone is not gay.
I must admit...Maggie is very pretty...she was the female 'fantasy person in the shower' on a show I saw (hetero)...maybe it was Legal Weapon....anyhoo....
Alex and Maggie have so much in common...if Alex had any leanings this would be the gal!
Alex is a good actress, acting the part of a confused gay girl....being straight, married with kids and all.

I'm not getting the chem with Kara and Mon-El...but they both are pretty 'white bread' characters, to me....so figures. I guess in the comics they get together.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:01 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
But perhaps they could have builded up slower...
I keep coming back to my posts from August and September... I would not still be watching the show now if they built the Alex and J'onn storylines up any slower than they did. The minute Calista Flockhart said goodbye, I would have stopped watching. Remember: That was something for which the producers effectively had no control over the timing - they were lucky enough to get the few episodes from Flockhart that they got - she didn't have to do them. I wonder how many of us gave the show a chance, initially, solely because Calista Flockhart was attached to the project.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:16 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,646,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I'm not getting the chem with Kara and Mon-El...but they both are pretty 'white bread' characters, to me....so figures. I guess in the comics they get together.
Ha! I didn't wanna say it, but that's basically what it is with this. Kara can't go for the black guy, because, interracial, but goes for the generic, CW-ish looking white B-level actor.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:29 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
The problem (at least with me) isnt that she's gay.
the problem is that it seemed to come out of the blue.
I saw it as that cute Maggie, also interested in dead alien bodies and all, hahaha...was
the catalyst...I might not be gay ...but get me working next to that 'special' woman ...
and I'd switch teams.
Didn't seem as if Alex had any game with any boyfriends...and there weren't any females
in her work-life til that 'special' Maggie, that was so openly gay...so I flowed with it ok.
Just sayin...not trying to start anything, Lol.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I keep coming back to my posts from August and September... I would not still be watching the show now if they built the Alex and J'onn storylines up any slower than they did. The minute Calista Flockhart said goodbye, I would have stopped watching. Remember: That was something for which the producers effectively had no control over the timing - they were lucky enough to get the few episodes from Flockhart that they got - she didn't have to do them. I wonder how many of us gave the show a chance, initially, solely because Calista Flockhart was attached to the project.
I'm not sure what you're saying about the J'onn storyline, but are you saying that after Calista Flockhart left, you would have stop watching if it hadn't been for Alex's 'coming out' story occurring when it did?

Old 12-01-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Ha! I didn't wanna say it, but that's basically what it is with this. Kara can't go for the black guy, because, interracial, but goes for the generic, CW-ish looking white B-level actor.
No, that's not it at all. Because if you've seen any other Greg Berlanti shows, he is very liberal. On The Flash, he has two interracial couples. And on Arrow, he has a gay married interracial couple. So, no. That is not the reason why.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:51 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying about the J'onn storyline, but are you saying that after Calista Flockhart left, you would have stop watching if it hadn't been for Alex's 'coming out' story occurring when it did?
That along with how J'onn's storyline has progressed. I hate to say it but, with Flockhart gone, there are two decent actors left on the show imho.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:32 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Well I used to really enjoy this show, I do not care for certain plot lines. Probably done with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV