Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 02:06 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,529 times

Advertisements

It was trying to hit all the cliche notes in one episode and had this overall candy atmosphere that I didn't care for. Too bad, I wanted to like this one.

I feel like CBS will always have this 1950s blemish to their shows, meh, wonder how it would of been if another network picked it up or even Netflix. There was a lot of "I know I'm just a girl but we both came from the same planet and anything "He" can do, I can do because I'm a woman and not a girl .. I'm just as strong." Ad nauseum. Mixed in with a lot of flippancy and oh-my-gosh, ugh.

Note to the people at CBS, you can make a strong female character without constant verbal reiteration like a self-help book, it's possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 05:02 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Well, it is an adaptation of a comic book after all. I think of J.K. Simmons' Jameson in the Toby McGuire Spiderman movies. That guy was a living comic book character, but he made it his own and brought the character to life. Ally McBoss just needs to find away to make the character her own instead of channeling someone else.
I'm not so sure that that isn't her own (i.e., the actress' personality).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I watched the pilot because I enjoy super heros. It was what I thought it was good but not great. I did not find any of the characters besides Supergirl really interesting.
In retrospect, I don't understand why they bottled the pilot up into 60 minutes and gave a random episode of Scorpion 90 minutes... the Supergirl pilot's only big flaw stemmed from how rushed some of the character development was, attributable no doubt to the need to fit enough indications of the promise of all the characters, not just one or two, into the allotted time.

Quote:
The action scenes really did not do much for me there was nothing there that excited me.
Television isn't the right medium for that. It's just too expensive to invest that much week after week. They spent an extraordinary amount on effects in the pilot, I suppose because the producers felt like they needed to do something to get some folks to sit still long enough to consider the series' promise as something other than an action flick. Don't expect the action to get any better - it's going to settle into what's normal for television. I don't see a problem with that: Action, especially of the superhero variety, is overrated, imho. The more of it there is, the more jaded viewers become. It offers relatively poor economies of scale. (That explains probably half of the cases where a show fans felt was "excellent" was canceled, much to their overwrought chagrin.) That doesn't seem to be the case with others aspects of television programs.

The only real hope for Supergirl is if viewers get interested in the human interest aspect - if viewers care about Kara and the ups and downs of her life, in the context of these events and the interactions with these other characters around her.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:23 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I'm not so sure that that isn't her own (i.e., the actress' personality).

In retrospect, I don't understand why they bottled the pilot up into 60 minutes and gave a random episode of Scorpion 90 minutes... the Supergirl pilot's only big flaw stemmed from how rushed some of the character development was, attributable no doubt to the need to fit enough indications of the promise of all the characters, not just one or two, into the allotted time.

Television isn't the right medium for that. It's just too expensive to invest that much week after week. They spent an extraordinary amount on effects in the pilot, I suppose because the producers felt like they needed to do something to get some folks to sit still long enough to consider the series' promise as something other than an action flick. Don't expect the action to get any better - it's going to settle into what's normal for television. I don't see a problem with that: Action, especially of the superhero variety, is overrated, imho. The more of it there is, the more jaded viewers become. It offers relatively poor economies of scale. (That explains probably half of the cases where a show fans felt was "excellent" was canceled, much to their overwrought chagrin.) That doesn't seem to be the case with others aspects of television programs.

The only real hope for Supergirl is if viewers get interested in the human interest aspect - if viewers care about Kara and the ups and downs of her life, in the context of these events and the interactions with these other characters around her.
If they do cut the action I think viewing is going to go down because it will basically become another drama. The whole her having super powers and saving people is what the whole show is based on. Without action what are we going see her being bullied by her boss or the whole will they won't they date with her co worker because that is all it will be.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:24 AM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,673 times
Are the characters in this show not allowed to say the name "Superman?" I assume another studio has the rights to produce Superman movies so that limits others from using his exact image but it looks like they can't say his name either. It just sounds weird when characters have to reference him by saying "the big guy" or "my cousin."

Old 10-28-2015, 06:43 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
It was trying to hit all the cliche notes in one episode and had this overall candy atmosphere that I didn't care for.
The pilot did have an "everything and the kitchen sink" feel to it. It's like they tried to shove every single thing into the first 60 minutes. It's probably why so much of it felt uneven. I'm hoping subsequent episodes won't fall into this.

That said ...

My teen and preteen girls LOOOOOOOOOOVED it.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:58 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
If they do cut the action I think viewing is going to go down because it will basically become another drama. The whole her having super powers and saving people is what the whole show is based on.
That can still be done without the kind of action you're referring to. Smallville did it quite effectively. Supergirl, ideally, will be "Smallville, The Next Generation".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
Are the characters in this show not allowed to say the name "Superman?"
There was one overt reference, so I suspect that it's simply a creative decision to keep the focus on this series rather than feeding into inevitable complaints from the small portion of the audience that would want nothing more than to complain about continuity with other productions.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
Are the characters in this show not allowed to say the name "Superman?" I assume another studio has the rights to produce Superman movies so that limits others from using his exact image but it looks like they can't say his name either. It just sounds weird when characters have to reference him by saying "the big guy" or "my cousin."
WB controls access to and usage of the DC characters. They apparently have strict rules about which characters can be used and/or mentioned on all three shows ("Arrow," "The Flash" and now " Supergirl.")
Note though, that they did maintain continuity with the last movie with the bit about the "s."

This predates "Supergirl" but clearly still applies:

Confirmed: Batman And Superman Are Off-Limits For Arrow And The Flash

I enjoyed the pilot. It felt very much like "The Flash" and for me, that's a very good thing.

I thought that the cast was terrific and I loved the continuing casting of actors formerly associated with some of the related characters.

CBS must be happy - the show had the highest ratings for the pilot of a new series so far this season.

‘Supergirl’ Premiere Ratings Strong: Best for Any New Show This Fall | Variety

Old 10-28-2015, 07:59 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
WB controls access to and usage of the DC characters. They apparently have strict rules about which characters can be used and/or mentioned on all three shows ("Arrow," "The Flash" and now " Supergirl.")
Note though, that they did maintain continuity with the last movie with the bit about the "s."

This predates "Supergirl" but clearly still applies:

Confirmed: Batman And Superman Are Off-Limits For Arrow And The Flash

I enjoyed the pilot. It felt very much like "The Flash" and for me, that's a very good thing.

I thought that the cast was terrific and I loved the continuing casting of actors formerly associated with some of the related characters.

CBS must be happy - the show had the highest ratings for the pilot of a new series so far this season.

‘Supergirl’ Premiere Ratings Strong: Best for Any New Show This Fall | Variety
You would think an occasional mention of Superman and/or Batman would be something that was desirable to Warner Brothers.

Heck, Agents of SHIELD and Daredevil both have dealt with Avengers movie fallout: When the Daredevil comic started in the 1960s, Hell's Kitchen wasn't a nice area. However, Hell's Kitchen is now an upscale gentrified part of NYC. To make it more true to Daredevil's origins, a bunch of it was deemed as having been destroyed or damaged as a result of what happened in the original Avengers movie. And, on Agents of SHIELD, you hear Coulson mention Thor or Captain America once in a while, and most of season 2 was dealing with the fall out from Winter Soldier.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:11 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,607,850 times
I have no plans to watch this, but the still ad for the show (with Supergirl in her cape with her hands on hips) looks like an ad for feminine products.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:19 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Wow people sure over analyze things. It's a show about a cute girl who can fly and has laser beam eyes. Check your brain at the door, watch and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV