Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 01:35 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,252,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
So that's where the name "Hot lips" came from. I can't believe I haven't seen the movie yet. I must do that some day.

Here's a trailer for the movie.

Listen closely at 1:25-1:35.

But don't listen to it at all if you're worried about it possibly being a spoiler for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HClAxZrWCPE

Last edited by P47P47; 09-25-2015 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Added spoiler warning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 01:40 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Am I the only one who thought that Burns and Houlihan looked a lot like Kermit and Miss Piggy?

Old 09-25-2015, 01:41 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,298 times
Quote:
Just one thing bothers me. As I recall, Loretta Switt portrayed Major Margaret Houlihan, aka Hot Lips. Her nickname came from being the most desirable lady among all those men, but the men never could score with her. Then, here's what bothers me and seems so uncharacteristic of her and the smart writing of the show...she ends up being a long-term adultress of Major Frank Burns who has NO ATTRACTIVE QUALITIES WHATSOEVER. He's physically unattractive, emotionally insecure, unromantic, and he's got a wife back home anyway!

Just what do you suppose the M*A*S*H writers thinking when they put Houlihan & Burns into a relationship? I think detracts from the quality of the show.
As someone mentioned, it's a carryover from the movie (and the original novel, which is also quite funny). As two of the only "regular army" people in the camp, they were attracted to each other because everyone else was so disrespectful and "unmilitary".

The movie is a classic, but when you watch it, you should be prepared for the fact that the tone of the movie is extremely different from the TV show. Not just the more explicit sex and violence, but the way it is shot and edited. Robert Altman had a very distinctive style where he would just set up a bunch of actors to do things in a particular scene, and sort of move his camera through the action as if he were just an outside eavesdropper. He didn't always focus on individual characters and speeches the way a more conventional director would have. You hear snippets of conversations but the camera doesn't "tell you" who you're supposed to be focusing on. As a result, a lot of the jokes (and plot developments) are easy to miss if you're not paying close attention. It can be extremely confusing/annoying/hard to follow if you're not used to it. (But it's also a brilliant movie and the beginning of a brilliant career and very much worth watching.)

Old 09-29-2015, 10:52 AM

2,015 posts, read 1,646,991 times
Quote:
So that's where the name "Hot lips" came from. I can't believe I haven't seen the movie yet. I must do that some day.
I grew up with the show and then much later say the movie, its strange knowing the names but not seeing alan alda or loretta swit or mclean stevenson.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:29 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,024 times
Quote:
I was just being born when M*A*S*H was in production, but fell in love with the show after serving a tour of duty with the Army in Uijongbu, South Korea where M*A*S*H takes place.

So I catch the show in reruns. It's well-written, witty, clever, and sentimental to me.

Just one thing bothers me. As I recall, Loretta Switt portrayed Major Margaret Houlihan, aka Hot Lips. Her nickname came from being the most desirable lady among all those men, but the men never could score with her. Then, here's what bothers me and seems so uncharacteristic of her and the smart writing of the show...she ends up being a long-term adultress of Major Frank Burns who has NO ATTRACTIVE QUALITIES WHATSOEVER. He's physically unattractive, emotionally insecure, unromantic, and he's got a wife back home anyway!

Just what do you suppose the M*A*S*H writers thinking when they put Houlihan & Burns into a relationship? I think detracts from the quality of the show.

"Hot Lips" Houlihan was a regular army tramp who had a sexual relationship with many generals she encountered during her career. I guess she tried to "clean up" her image once the Korean War started and army life became more serious. Frank Burns was the highest ranking officer in the camp other than Henry Blake so she latched onto him. There are a few episodes when a visiting officer would come into camp who Houlihan new from another base who sought her out for sex.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:32 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,024 times
Quote:
Hooray for Hollywood!

Well that makes a little more sense then.

Frank Burns - just a goofy character, not even goofy in a funny entertaining way. Just awkward & creepy, like the kind of person that makes me wonder what kind of skeletons he's got in his closet. He seemed that way in real life too, not just the Frank Burns character.

Was Blake the one who always wore the fishing tackle gear? If so, I recall he was tempted to stray from his wife a couple times, but ultimately remained fiercely loyal to her.

So if Blake & Burns were Margaret's only options due to rank, I guess she was stuck with Burns.

But when I was in the Army and there were no suitable companions, I chose NONE, and just focused on my work & hobbies.

The "Frank Burns" character was not the same as the one played by Robert Duvall in the movie "M.A.S.H" that it was based on.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:22 PM

12,381 posts, read 8,134,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
The "Frank Burns" character was not the same as the one played by Robert Duvall in the movie "M.A.S.H" that it was based on.
But he remained the officer of suitable rank at the 4077th.When she changed after her marriage she did make a run after Hawkeye following a traumatic behind enemy lines experience.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:48 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,799,455 times
Loretta Swit's character evolved over the many seasons of M*A*S*H. By the end of the 1970s, "Hot Lips" was dead and "Margaret" took her place. She became more sympathetic and any desire for a "fling" was dead.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:50 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,799,455 times
Quote:
Frank Burns - just a goofy character, not even goofy in a funny entertaining way. Just awkward & creepy, like the kind of person that makes me wonder what kind of skeletons he's got in his closet. He seemed that way in real life too, not just the Frank Burns character.
You are referring to the actor Larry Linville? He was married five times. Maybe a sign of someone who could be difficult to get along with?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Linville

He never had another major role in any successful TV series after M*A*S*H. Nor did any of the other main actors and actresses. Anyone find that odd?

Old 09-29-2015, 04:11 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
He never had another major role in any successful TV series after M*A*S*H. Nor did any of the other main actors and actresses. Anyone find that odd?
It was the show that taught actors to not quit a good role. So many left thinking they were going to be stars like SNL and never did anything.

Alan Alda had a decent career after.

Wasn't Gary Burghoff "Radar OReily" the only one who started in the movie and stayed all the way to the end? Smart man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV