Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 03:07 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
I am usually hooked...or not with episode 1 of a series. I rarely keep watching if ambivalent. One recent exception is Bloodline, I have watched 2 episodes and can't decide it I like it or not. I'll probably try one more.....
Just watch the last one and you'll know everythng you need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 11:10 AM

212 posts, read 195,271 times
[quote=KathrynAragon;41385094]I was hooked on Breaking Bad in the first three minutes of the show - but that was an exception. Usually I give something two episodes unless I really, really hate it (for instance, I knew by the end of the first episode of Penny Dreadful that I thought it was, well, dreadful).[/quote]

Oh, goodness, but I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks this! It was/is horrible. I tried no less than 3 times to get into this show on the strong recommendations of everyone in my circle of friends. It lacked a certain something, but to this day, I still cannot put my finger on it.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:27 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
[quote=Girl Friday;45092846]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I was hooked on Breaking Bad in the first three minutes of the show - but that was an exception. Usually I give something two episodes unless I really, really hate it (for instance, I knew by the end of the first episode of Penny Dreadful that I thought it was, well, dreadful).[/quote]

Oh, goodness, but I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks this! It was/is horrible. I tried no less than 3 times to get into this show on the strong recommendations of everyone in my circle of friends. It lacked a certain something, but to this day, I still cannot put my finger on it.
Me too. I managed to get through the first two episodes before giving up in disgust. Watching that show makes my brain feel dank. It induces brain dank.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:36 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
I can usually tell right away if I will enjoy a show or not. So the first episode is pretty much all I need to see if I will stick it out.

There are a few examples of shows where it took me a while to get into it, like, Blindspot, Criminal Minds, IZombie. Even still I may not be completely focused when I watch those shows. I like them but I am not so engrossed in the characters or storyline to the point where I can't miss an episode.

Shows that hooked me right off the bat were:

Community (never laughed so hard in my life)

Bates Motel (pulled me in immediately)

The Walking Dead (Great opening episode)

Old 08-11-2016, 12:30 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Stranger Things had me hooked by the intro song of episode one.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:57 PM

212 posts, read 195,271 times
[quote=Mark S.;45093119]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Friday View Post

Me too. I managed to get through the first two episodes before giving up in disgust. Watching that show makes my brain feel dank. It induces brain dank.

Oh, YES!!!! **ding! ding** I now have a new phrase for it! Brain dank. I am totally stealing that one from you.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:26 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I can usually tell right away if I will enjoy a show or not. So the first episode is pretty much all I need to see if I will stick it out.

There are a few examples of shows where it took me a while to get into it, like, Blindspot, Criminal Minds, IZombie. Even still I may not be completely focused when I watch those shows. I like them but I am not so engrossed in the characters or storyline to the point where I can't miss an episode.

Shows that hooked me right off the bat were:

Community (never laughed so hard in my life)

Bates Motel (pulled me in immediately)

The Walking Dead (Great opening episode)
TWD didn't get me hooked until EP4 or so. It was good enough to keep me watching, but the hook wasn't set until the CDC trip. That hook started wiggling loose with the awful S2 and slipped out this past season. I didn't even watch the second half of the past season. Honestly, when I was watching it (S1), I thought it was rather slow.. But then I looked back and saw all they did in 6 episodes.. Jesus.. They don't do that much in a 16 episode season now..

Fear the Walking Dead never got me... I made it about halfway through the first season.. Didn't even bother with S2.

Breaking Bad.. Yeah.. First episode.

Better Call Saul.. The first season had me nibbling at the hook.. The second season set it.

Mad Men was maddening to me. It was just a tease the whole damn series. I kept sitting there saying "Oh, it's going to get good..." and it never did. I mean, I enjoyed the show from non-story standpoints.. Cinematography was beautiful, but.. It's hard for me to think of one redeemable character from that show.

Weeds hooked me early on.. Won't say episode one, but it was early on.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:16 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Mad Men was maddening to me. It was just a tease the whole damn series. I kept sitting there saying "Oh, it's going to get good..." and it never did. I mean, I enjoyed the show from non-story standpoints.. Cinematography was beautiful, but.. It's hard for me to think of one redeemable character from that show.
Yup. Mad Men was a beautifully made bore. It had about 45 minutes of story stretched into what felt like 19 seasons.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:13 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,544,694 times
Some less (than 4 episodes), some more. 4 is a good average. Actually it usually takes 4 episodes for me to decide not to continue watching.......

Old 08-12-2016, 10:23 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
TWD didn't get me hooked until EP4 or so. It was good enough to keep me watching, but the hook wasn't set until the CDC trip. That hook started wiggling loose with the awful S2 and slipped out this past season. I didn't even watch the second half of the past season. Honestly, when I was watching it (S1), I thought it was rather slow.. But then I looked back and saw all they did in 6 episodes.. Jesus.. They don't do that much in a 16 episode season now..

Fear the Walking Dead never got me... I made it about halfway through the first season.. Didn't even bother with S2.

Breaking Bad.. Yeah.. First episode.

Better Call Saul.. The first season had me nibbling at the hook.. The second season set it.

Weeds hooked me early on.. Won't say episode one, but it was early on.
That's how I felt about Breaking Bad. It took me a really long time to like it and I can appreciate it and will agree that it is one of the best shows ever made but it is NOT one of my favorites by any means.

Mad Men on the other hand had me hooked from day one as did Lost, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and Stranger Things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV