Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 11:47 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
Meh. It was OK. They made valid points, but only some of it was really funny; most of it was just kind of funny. Mostly it seemed like a lesser version of something a Stewart-hosted DS would have done better.

That, for me, is ultimately the problem: Noah is clever, but most of his humor seems fairly superficial. Stewart's brilliance was his ability to combine trenchant humor and insightful commentary. Even when he's funny, most of Noah's humor just isn't all that memorable.
I can see that, for sure. I think part of the issue is that he just doesn't have a stake in U.S. politics, because it doesn't affect him. I also think that Stewart was extremely intelligent so bringing someone new in without that wit and passion is posing a problem.

Ok I'll admit it: I also think Trevor Noah is hot.

I just hope the Daily Show doesn't go away if he doesn't improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 10:01 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
I rarely watched TDS before, now watch it almost every night. I like Noah much better, and I like his not-from-America perspective.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:35 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
I just stopped watching the Daily Show after Jon Stewart left. I wish he would come back, I refuse to watch anyone else as the Daily Show host. Another great guy was Stephen Colbert, at least there are re-runs.
That seems unfair and closed-minded. What about John Oliver? He did a great job, so it can be a good with the right host. Unfortunately, Noah doesn't seem to work that well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Should've promised the job to John Oliver so he wouldn't leave (a la Conan/Fallon on Tonight Show) or Aasif Mandvi.
The timing wasn't right for Oliver. I think CC knew Stewart would be leaving fairly soon, but he didn't give them a definite time frame. And of course HBO snatched him up first, so that's not an option.

It really shows how difficult it can be to find the right person for the right job sometimes. Stewart was so good he made it seem much easier than it probably is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
I can see that, for sure. I think part of the issue is that he just doesn't have a stake in U.S. politics, because it doesn't affect him. I also think that Stewart was extremely intelligent so bringing someone new in without that wit and passion is posing a problem.

Ok I'll admit it: I also think Trevor Noah is hot.

I just hope the Daily Show doesn't go away if he doesn't improve.
Oh, even as a straight guy I acknowledge he's attractive and telegenic. But so what? Many FOX telecasters are hot -though generic- blonds, but that's not enough for me to watch.

Unfortunately his 'international' perspective hasn't worked out nearly as well as we hoped. While he's done a few international-type segments, only some have worked. The segment he did finding commonalities with Trump's rhetoric and that of African despots was fairly brilliant and unique, and something Stewart probably would not have been able to come up with. However, the segment with the Myanmar version of the show he did last night was pathetic. The jokes were obvious, predictable and dull. It was so bad it almost made me cringe a few times.

It's too bad they didn't find a women to succeed Stewart. I really think Amy Poehler could've been great. Who knows? Maybe she was someone considered, but had other commitments.

I think I'm going to take a hiatus from TDS until next year. I'll give it a chance again in January to see if it gets significantly better, and if it doesn't I'll give up.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:02 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I just can't get into it and have stopped watching. Maybe sometime in the future I'll try again...

Old 12-31-2015, 10:32 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,511 times
Since it's almost the New Year I thought I'd revisit this thread even though it's been dormant about a month. I haven't watched the show in about a month since the first several episodes were so inconsistent, but mostly mediocre. I'll give Noah another chance beginning next year.

I think the article below is a pretty fair evaluation of Noah so far. As I've also written, Menon argues one of the most substantial problems is that since the show structure is mostly unchanged, Noah seems pressured to emulate Stewart. This approach mostly isn't working because Noah doesn't have the comprehensive knowledge and intuitive feel of U.S. politics and culture Stewart does. Consequently, he comes off as a second-rate Stewart imitator rather than someone with his own distinctive perspective.

I also argue that Noah needs figure out how to be himself more, but for that to happen the fundamental structure needs to change at least somewhat. The current structure gradually evolved around Stewart's talents and personality. Since Noah isn't Stewart they probably need to change the approach in ways that work for him. We'll see if they can. If the show isn't substantially better by Spring, he could well be gone after summer.
It’s time for Trevor Noah to be himself: Menon | Toronto Star
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV