Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:11 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
There seem to be different categories of "remakes" I would put foreign shows that never aired in the U.S. in a different group than shows already aired in the U.S. that producers want to revive. Most of the shows in your list never aired in the U.S. in their original form.
I don't know if I would consider Fargo a remake. I haven't seen the TV show buy my understanding is that it doesn't use any of the characters from the 1996 movie true?
The Fargo mini series focus on crimes in the general geographic area of the story from the movie with a few Easter Eggs to leave no doubt that you are in the same fictional universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 09:52 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
and now the nancy drew one as well come on writers you just cant think of any more ideas I guess and are relying on the old series tv and how well they did , but really that was a different time and age and that was don't almost thrity years ago when most of us now were kids . I remember sitting down and watching gunsmoke with my mom and dad and grands . yes we all lived in the same house oy vey !!!

Old 10-06-2015, 10:15 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Its Hollywood, they're in the business to make money. If research shows that a Nancy Drew tv show is something that people are interested in and can make money, then they're going to produce it.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:22 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
There seem to be different categories of "remakes" I would put foreign shows that never aired in the U.S. in a different group than shows already aired in the U.S. that producers want to revive. Most of the shows in your list never aired in the U.S. in their original form.
Why wouldn't they count as remakes? There is already a version made, why not air that? Why remake it? Its not creative to just add an American setting to a show that already exists. I can see maybe the shows that are not English, but the Office, House of Cards, Broadchurch... There are no translation issues keeping one of the networks from airing the originals.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:20 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Why wouldn't they count as remakes? There is already a version made, why not air that? Why remake it?
I suspect it has to do with legal copyright / branding / licensing issues. Some networks like PBS have deals with BBC and such to air their programs. Most of the big American networks don't.

And I think there is still a lot of old-fashioned lunk-headedness with execs where they think, "British accents are for PBS. Our audience won't accept that."

Old 10-06-2015, 04:19 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't they count as remakes? There is already a version made, why not air that? Why remake it? Its not creative to just add an American setting to a show that already exists. I can see maybe the shows that are not English, but the Office, House of Cards, Broadchurch... There are no translation issues keeping one of the networks from airing the originals.
I'd agree those aren't.. Reboots.

Those are "Based off of" situations.

I certainly see a difference between Sanford and Son and.. The new Hawaii-Five-Oh, for example.

In the 70's and 80's, it was all about the spinoffs. Now, it's all about the reboots.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:28 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
CBS rebooting 'MacGyver' for TV - CNN.com

You know, I can deal with Heroes coming back.. 24.. X-Files.. those aren't reboots, they're just picking the show back up after cancellation and continuing it.. Fine with that.

But, bringing back the A-Team? MacGyver? One Day at a Time?

Enough!

I can see it now, with all the old-timers making cameos. Why don't they just resurrect Love Boat.

Anyway, I don't expect much more from uncreative, lazy Hollywood these days.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:22 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,381,226 times
Quote:
They are remakes in the strictest sense of the word. But I think there's a definite difference between a show that never aired in the U.S. so the average viewer here was never exposed versus a show that originated in the U.S. and producers want to make a copy of it for people who are too young to remember it. It's kind of like buying a new used car. It's not "new" in the sense it had a previous owner but it is new to the current owner.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:27 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,381,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I can see it now, with all the old-timers making cameos. Why don't they just resurrect Love Boat.

Anyway, I don't expect much more from uncreative, lazy Hollywood these days.
They already tried to revive The Love Boat. There was The Love Boat: The Next Wave, starring Robert Urich, that aired in the late 1990's. It didn't last long!

Old 10-08-2015, 09:08 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
The Love Boat was a concept that could only work in the '70s. It was the last era of the variety show, when celebrities whose 15 minutes were almost up would be a guest that week. The Love Boat was like that, only cloaked as a comedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV