Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:46 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,427,541 times

Advertisements

Another reason to quit watching Teeeveee....

Most products on national Teeeveee commercials are either scams (infomercials), or poisons (processed food etc., prescription drugs etc.).

I was taking Omega 3 capsules by Nature's Made. Months later, saw a commercial for Nature's Made Omega 3 capsules on Teeeveee . Wait I said to myself, Teeeveee doesn't advertise any good, safe product for the masses (maybe once in a blue moon it does?). There must be something wrong with that product. After a little research, come to find out that Omega 3 capsules may contain PCBs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 5,876 times
Default No TV For Five Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
I quit watching TV in February of '06. Work took me out of town for three months and I saw no reason to pay for cable. I figured I would return and re-up and get a great deal for a year. Instead, I decided to do something radical and not renew my cable subscription. I admit it was difficult the first few months...there was a withdrawal period. Even now, sometimes I miss the "companionship" of TV. I buy DVDs, but I can honestly say that I don't miss TV. With each passing year it becomes more vomitous, more stupid, more ridiculous, more annoying.

If I sound upset, I'm not. I just got fed up and sometimes I wish millions of Americans would do the same thing until some sort of quality or intelligence comes back. Perhaps I'm being an effete prima donna. I don't know.

So tell me...is there anyone else out there that has cut out TV completely?
-------------------

Hey Bob,

There was a West Coast bumper sticker that read "Kill Your TV" for a few years about 2006 actually. I've not watched since then. Sometimes folks will seem dismayed and be like "how can you keep current?"
But I know anything that important enough to know about will work its way to me via conversations, internet research, or an email. Frankly freedom feels great!

Old 03-26-2010, 05:08 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Well, yes and no.

My spouse, after a hard day's work, likes nothing better than to passively sit on the couch with the remote. This is a guy whose fashion sense barely got past 1982, who willingly watches Project Runway..
This is so funny. I also religiously watch Project Runway and I have to take things to the dry cleaners just to have buttons sewn on anything and I rarely buy separates unless I see them on a store dummy because I have no idea how to match things. My drawings are no better than a first grader's. I'm just in awe of their talents, even the ones sent packing early.

I only watch 2 TV shows on the lower channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) and one is about to end (Lost). If I could unsubscribe from regular TV, I would.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:14 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
I didn't give up watching TV but I watch it far less than before, like I watch The Nanny and George Lopez every night as well as Family Guy, Simpsons, etc. but that's about it, maybe I'll watch Nickelodeon/Disney/MTV/VH1 once in a while. I don't know what it is (and we got a big screen TV last year), I don't really play video games anymore either.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:17 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,274,020 times
I still love and watch all 3 of my t.v.'s. My latest favorite is the Investigation Discovery channel.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:47 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
The shows I currently watch are:

Survivor, The Vampire Diaries, Community and The Big Bang Theory. Friends and family are always telling me about shows they think I should watch, but I have a hard time getting into so many new shows. I have one friend that must watch atleast 3 shows each night. I don't know how they keep up with all these new shows. I am usually too tired to during the week to watch shows that are on late. I DVR Big Bang, Vampire Diaries and watch Community on Demand. The only show I watch when it actually airs is Survivor.

I would have no problem giving up tv altogether if I wanted to. There are plenty of other things to spend my time doing, but I do enjoy sitting down to watch a good show or movie once in a while. Sometimes it is nice to just veg and laugh.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:35 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Last night I tried to find 'something' to watch on TV and ended up with 'Everybody Loves Raymond', a show I never liked the first time.

I thought I would 'cry' at some points. Yes, that is what sometimes goes on in families but there is little to lol about. That is how I feel in general about TV. For a few seconds I switched over to 'The Kardashians' and thought I had entered the Twilight zone. Kim and the mother, Chris, were debating the posing for 'Playboy'/how much nudity was acceptable issue. Chris enjoys showing everything and Kim professed to be uncomfortable. If only I could have thrown up.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:09 PM

600 posts, read 1,609,367 times
I haven't had a TV and cable since February 2008. When I am at somebody else's house and happen to watch TV there - it just confirms my belief, that there is nothing on TV worth paying the cable bill for. I watch a few TV shows online and subscribe to Netflix.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:16 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I gave it completely up 1 year ago. No TV at all. The TV was in the closet. It was only hard for the first month, but I still watched movies online from Netflix. It was interesting to listen to people talk about TV, and I could not relate.

One instance I said I didn't like a tv show someone was taling about (the 70s show), and he asked me what tv shows I do like. Hmmmm, none of the above.

I have sine brought the tv out of the closet to watch DVDs, as I don't inted to buy a converter box. The longer you go without TV, the less tolerable it is.

It was also funny to see the reactions of people who visited. One of the first things asked was, "where is your tv?'

We gave it up last yr. We only had a couple channels anyway worth watching . It was funny when the grandkids would come to visit, no remote to fight over and they were stir crazy for first couple days, but we found them plenty to do, they learned quick, not to say they were bored !

I don't miss it one bit and wonder why we didn't get rid of it yr.s ago . We do watch netflix movies mostly old ones . Have no disire to watch most of what is called entertainment today .

Old 03-29-2010, 04:47 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I watch TV every morning and evening, but usually I'm thinking to myself that these are hours of my life that are wasted. IF I gave up cable, I would save a bunch of money and watch a whole lot less TV. I guess I really don't have anything to replace it with, but if I did, I would. Realistically, I could take up running or something, but are these aimless persuits any better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV