Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2016, 07:29 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post

I thought the show started off rather bad. Winter was not done well at all. The dialogue was awful and the character interactions felt so forced. There were some funny scenes that I laughed at, but I almost stopped watching because I was so bored. It got better during Sping, Summer and Fall.

I couldn't agree more. The once comfortable relationships seemed very forced. As Rory and Lorelai walk arm in arm down the street it was painful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 11:18 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I binged last night, and LOVED it! Spring lagged a little bit, but Winter and Summer were good (I'm a viewer who enjoyed the musical. Let the Palladinos and the Stars Hollow actors play a little!) and Fall was WONDERFUL!

Lots of details were so funny. That 30s something group - a hilarious dig at Millenials!

The "Wild" riff was pretty funny, too.

I think the Rory arc was very realistic. A lot of Gilmore Girls requires a suspension of disbelief (how does Lorelei get away with being gone from the inn so much?), and there is always the element of fantasy - really, Stars Hollow is a complete fantasy itself. But I thought that what was going on with Rory throughout this limited series was very realistic for a 30 something woman in 2016.

It was fun to see all of the supporting characters. I did worry about Liz Torres - she did not look good.

Now we know what the last four words with which Amy Palladino had always intended to end the series were. I had expected this to happen during this limited series. And now we have more storyline to look forward to!
I agree. Overall, I loved it. Then again, I have spent the last year preparing myself for the fact that it wouldn't be the same show. You can't come back ten years later and recreate the best days of the show (the earlier years). People change in ten years, they film things differently, and this is for Netflix and not network tv. Also, knowing it was only going to be four episodes, I expected it to feel a little crammed at times, and knew there would be no way to go in depth for every character.

It was great to see the characters again, and I think they did a decent job of explaining the years we didn't see and why Luke and Lorelei weren't married. It seems like everyone wanted a happy ending, but that's not how life works, and the show always had conflict and drama. I didn't love the musical part, but if I consider the fact that Stars Hollow has always been quirky and weird, it's not so bad. However, I have always hated the Life and Death Brigade and was disappointed to see them (and that weird sequence) in the new episodes. I've always hated Logan but found myself softening toward him in season 7. These episodes made me snap out of it and remember why I hated him to begin with! It's sad to see who Rory becomes when she's around him. I hope she has truly said goodbye to him and gets things right in her head about who she really is and wants to be. Let's hope she truly learns from her mistakes this time.

I liked the ending, and if there are no more episodes or spin-offs, I can live with that. It's obvious that things have come full circle and Rory's life will be mirroring Lorelei's. Knowing this is how things were always supposed to end (and remember, it was supposed to be this way nine years ago), I can use my imagination. That said, if there are more episodes, I'll happily watch and root for Team Jess!

Old 11-27-2016, 11:43 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
I thought the last four words were PERFECT! Team Jess!

Old 11-27-2016, 11:46 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Enjoyed it. Only two really weak moments: The very first scene, which felt forced and unnatural, and the very weird hedonistic song and dance romp in Autumn. That was just weird and dumb.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:48 PM

894 posts, read 586,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I agree. Overall, I loved it. Then again, I have spent the last year preparing myself for the fact that it wouldn't be the same show. You can't come back ten years later and recreate the best days of the show (the earlier years). People change in ten years, they film things differently, and this is for Netflix and not network tv. Also, knowing it was only going to be four episodes, I expected it to feel a little crammed at times, and knew there would be no way to go in depth for every character....

I liked the ending, and if there are no more episodes or spin-offs, I can live with that. It's obvious that things have come full circle and Rory's life will be mirroring Lorelei's. Knowing this is how things were always supposed to end (and remember, it was supposed to be this way nine years ago), I can use my imagination. That said, if there are more episodes, I'll happily watch and root for Team Jess!
I like your point that it can't possibly be the exact same show after all these years later. Like you said, people do change and if they didnt, then that would be strange.

I just wish Rory had changed for the better in her personal life instead of worse. (I'm not referring to the pregnancy; Rory getting pregnant in her 30s is nowhere near as serious as Lorelai's getting pregnant at 16.)

If they do even more episodes years from now, Rory would need to have matured quite a bit for me to want her back with Jess. He may not realize it but he has outgrown her.

I could see he outgrew her the night he visited her when she was living with her grandparents years ago while he, at the time, had written a book and made other positive changes in his life.

Plus, I'd be worried that Rory might cheat on Jess like she did with her poor, most-recent boyfriend while she ran around sleeping with Logan.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:52 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
I like your point that it can't possibly be the exact same show after all these years later. Like you said, people do change and if they didnt, then that would be strange.

I just wish Rory had changed for the better in her personal life instead of worse. (I'm not referring to the pregnancy; Rory getting pregnant in her 30s is not as serious as Lorelai's getting pregnant at 16.)

If they do even more episodes years from now, Rory would need to have matured quite a bit for me to want her back with Jess. He may not realize it but he has outgrown her. I could see he outgrew her the night he visited her while she was living with her grandparents years ago.

Plus, I'd be worried that Rory might cheat on Jess like she did with her poor, most-recent boyfriend while she ran around sleeping with Logan.
I agree. I really didn't like Rory in these episodes (and honestly, I didn't like her a lot of the time after her first year of college). The Rory in and at the end of this series definitely does not deserve Jess! I'm actually glad she didn't end up with anyone.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:55 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
the very weird hedonistic song and dance romp in Autumn. That was just weird and dumb.
That might be my least favorite part unless it grows on me on a re-watch.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:17 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Quote:
I agree. I really didn't like Rory in these episodes (and honestly, I didn't like her a lot of the time after her first year of college). The Rory in and at the end of this series definitely does not deserve Jess! I'm actually glad she didn't end up with anyone.
What bugs me most about this is that these are behaviors we saw Rory already try and discard as not for her in the original series. SHE was the one who ended the affair with Dean after a short time because her conscience was bothering her, going as far as to write Dean a Dear John letter and leave the country to keep herself from temptation. SHE was one one who discarded a no strings attached relationship with Logan because she realized she was more of a "relationship kind of girl". These are parts of her personality that should have been settled long ago.

Instead we see her doing both things again with zero remorse. Rory may have always tended to be self centered (like her mother), but she always had a conscience along with a sense of morals. If she stepped away from her sense of right and wrong she'd always express regret and get back to herself. We never even saw her express any concern for Paul or Odette until the very end, after Paul finally dumped her. Even the breakup with Logan came across more about self interest than anything else - she realized she wasn't going to be his main priority anymore and would have to play second banana to Odette, not having him available for emotional support on a whim, and she didn't like that. So she slept with him again (!) and offered a tender goodbye.

This chick crossed the line from naive and self centered to amoral and selfish. There was no explanation as to why. That was bad writing to me.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:23 PM

894 posts, read 586,518 times
Quote:
One of the major times I was sure that I don't like Rory is back when she had that affair with Dean but had the nerve to get mad at Lorelai for telling her that it was wrong because Dean was married.

And she froze Lorelai out for awhile after that too. Would barely even speak to her when she (Rory) and Emily were leaving for Europe.

Before that whole affair with Dean, Rory for the most part was primarily just a boring character to me. But after that, she was often flat-out unlikeable to me with a few exceptions.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:31 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Rory Gilmore Morality reveals:

1. Flirts a lot with, then kisses Jess, while dating Dean, trying to have both boys' attention
2. Sleeps with married Dean, and thinks it's a "perfect night"
3. Somebody tells her she's not good at something. Reaction: STEALS A YACHT.
4. Sleeps with engaged Logan while dating what's-his-name.

I think she's a great and entertaining character, but never the angel we were always being told she was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV