Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 10:41 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times

Advertisements

I could have sworn we had a thread on this show but I can't find it. Maybe it disappeared just like people's interest in the show? I'm glad I stuck with it as the intrigue is really heating up. Tonight was the engagement party and what an extravaganza. The fruit and floral centerpieces on the tables were over-the-top lavish and gorgeous. And Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI? Such excess and privilege.

My thoughts on why the little outcast boy "Adam" was found with a gold bangle on his wrist have been confirmed. And all the tangled relationships going on? You almost need a score card. Anyone still watching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 10:48 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,263,440 times
I'm watching. I made a list to keep the characters straight.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:46 AM

360 posts, read 993,017 times
Still watching, although I'm having trouble understanding much of the dialogue. The accents of some of the characters, both English and Indian, are difficult for me, especially the woman who runs the club. Frustrating as that is, I'm still enjoying it.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookmen View Post
Still watching, although I'm having trouble understanding much of the dialogue. The accents of some of the characters, both English and Indian, are difficult for me, especially the woman who runs the club. Frustrating as that is, I'm still enjoying it.
I agree! Though I've found that to be true of many shows from the UK. I rely on hopefully understanding a few words to get the gist of what was said.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:46 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,263,440 times
I turn on closed captions on the British dramas.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
I turn on closed captions on the British dramas.
I really should figure out how to do that! Easy to do on Netflix, no clue on my TV.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:26 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
I'm still watching and I am still enjoying it. However I even more enjoy "Home Fires" which comes on my PBS station right before it.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:41 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I'm still watching and I am still enjoying it. However I even more enjoy "Home Fires" which comes on my PBS station right before it.
I like both, too.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:23 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
<Thread Crap Warning>

Warning provided so you can skip my post if you're not into critical comments about the program. I understand completely. I often skip critical comments posted in threads about programming I enjoy.

We have no problem understanding the accents. The problem from our perspective is "poor" writing. I put "poor" in quotation marks because some people will consider what makes the writing poor to be signs of consummate artistry. From our perspective, it's the arrogance of authors deliberately obfuscating the narrative to make it appear more artistic. Given the subject matter and the quality of the actors, we, especially, should have been drawn into the story, drawn to care about these characters, who they are, what their experience is. Instead, we're continually wondering if a main character was suddenly introduced out of nowhere. We've continued watching mainly because a dearth of other programming leaves us scraping the proverbial bottom of the barrel some nights, because Indian Summers is billed as a limited run, and we were already a third of the way through it before we realized the whole thing was going to be like this.

We deferred watching Home Fires a few weeks, just because it started later, so we dodged a bullet there. After getting fed up with yet another Indian Summers episode being effectively presented through a cloud of smog, we paused it fifteen minutes in and switched to the premiere of Home Fires. Five minutes in we could see that it was going to be the same story there, and since we hadn't invested much in the series yet, we stopped before we got too far into it.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
<Thread Crap Warning>

Warning provided so you can skip my post if you're not into critical comments about the program. I understand completely. I often skip critical comments posted in threads about programming I enjoy.

We have no problem understanding the accents. The problem from our perspective is "poor" writing. I put "poor" in quotation marks because some people will consider what makes the writing poor to be signs of consummate artistry. From our perspective, it's the arrogance of authors deliberately obfuscating the narrative to make it appear more artistic. Given the subject matter and the quality of the actors, we, especially, should have been drawn into the story, drawn to care about these characters, who they are, what their experience is. Instead, we're continually wondering if a main character was suddenly introduced out of nowhere. We've continued watching mainly because a dearth of other programming leaves us scraping the proverbial bottom of the barrel some nights, because Indian Summers is billed as a limited run, and we were already a third of the way through it before we realized the whole thing was going to be like this.

We deferred watching Home Fires a few weeks, just because it started later, so we dodged a bullet there. After getting fed up with yet another Indian Summers episode being effectively presented through a cloud of smog, we paused it fifteen minutes in and switched to the premiere of Home Fires. Five minutes in we could see that it was going to be the same story there, and since we hadn't invested much in the series yet, we stopped before we got too far into it.
Can you give some examples of obfuscating the narrative? I appreciate your critical commentary but fail to understand it completely. Who is the main character suddenly introduced out of nowhere? I have to admit I rarely analyze any of the shows I watch. A critic I am not, but I do vote with my remote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV