Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 02:25 PM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times

Advertisements

So why do you pay for cable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 04:59 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
Quote:
So why do you pay for cable?
For all those Ancient Aliens shows. The guy with the Jiffy-Pop hair makes it worth the investment.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:33 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
But if you look at programming for just the coming week, there are actually more shows than the OP makes it sound like:

Property Brothers
Love it or List It
House Hunters
House Hunters International
Rescue my Renovation
Sold on the Spot
Property Virgins
Fixer Upper
Yard Crashers
Live Here, Buy This
Love it or List it, Too
Property Brothers: Buying & Selling
Holmes Makes it Right
Flea Market Flip
Rehab Addict
Celebrity Motor Homes
Living Alaska
Log Cabin Living
House Hunters: Where are they Now?
Tiny House Hunters
America's Most Desperate Kitchens
House Hunters Renovation
House Hunters International Renovation
Island Life
Hawaii Life
Island Hunters

You're right. They don't show just House Hunters. They show 23 House Hunter shows, 17 "mildly attractive people remodel houses" shows, and 7 "you don't live here" shows.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:41 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Cable and TV in general have driven me to my Kindle to read nightly. Pay all that money for cable and get all these repeats, annoying commercials, and half the time I found myself watching something on PBS.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:01 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Cable and TV in general have driven me to my Kindle to read nightly. Pay all that money for cable and get all these repeats, annoying commercials, and half the time I found myself watching something on PBS.
I'd get rid of ours if I could as well. My wife is a total cable addict though. She watches a rerun of Legally Blonde at least once week, commercials and all, despite the dvd sitting on our bookshelf collecting dust.

I'll never understand it, but she's not a big spender otherwise.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:05 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
HGTV needs to re-evaluate the way their programming is headed and look to the past when they had a long list of hits. I'm beginning to wonder if those Property Brother guys own the network. They are on 75% of the time in a variety of ways. There was a time when I thought I HAD to have hgtv network. Those days are long gone.
me too, and now I just dont watch it that much anymore.

I feel like the same ones are on over and over.
monday is all so and so,
tues is all flip or flop (which I like) but most are re runs I have seen 6 times already.
I dont really like the property bros at all, i think they are ugly and cant stand thier voices.
I dont like love it or list it,
I like re-hab addict.....

I want Sandra back !!!!

Old 11-03-2015, 02:28 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Cable and TV in general have driven me to my Kindle to read nightly.
I'm confused about why they were ever an either/or situation.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:35 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
What is this "TV" you refer to? Is it a form of entertainment?

It's rather interesting to have watched USA over the past 28 years or so. From the mid 80's when they were showing other people's shows such as Airwolf, Murder She Wrote, Lost in Space (I think), and cartoons.

Then in the 90's with shows like La Femme Nikita, Pacific Blue, The Net, The Big Easy, Up all Night with Rhonda, and the like. For me, that was their high point.

Early 21st century wasn't as good, to me, but still was better than the later years, with shows like Dead Zone and Monk.

About 2007-2008, I started to tune out because while, to me, the shows had wonderful photography and had great locations, there really wasn't anything to the story that they were showing. Even Burn Notice I found, well while it wasn't boring, it wasn't memorable, either. Probably because the lead couldn't carry the audience, there was no excitement to care about what happened to him week after week.

So now you say they are showing the crime shows franchises. Well, good for them, and if it is cheap and it works, I guess that is what counts.......but personally, I can't stand any of the crime show franchises ESPECIALLY the SVU.

I don't believe sexual violence should be entertainment.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:22 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Let's look at USA specifically: USA presented 99 hours of new, original, scripted programming over the past year. In what year did USA present more hours of new, original, scripted programming than they have in the past 12 months? I cannot imagine that they've ever done so. I doubt if you checked their reruns that you'd see much reduction in variety there either.

Perhaps the biggest difference is that they are broadcasting programs, right now, that you personally happen not to care for. Another possibility is that you're noticing the situation because that which has previously distracted you from it (perhaps: broadcast network programming) no longer demands as much of your interest as it had in the past. Another possibility is that something in your personal life has changed, making you more attuned to cable television options in the fall than you have been in the past.

I don't see any reason, though, to think that cable, itself, has appreciably changed over the last few years in any of the ways to which you're alluding. While cable might have been a little different (appealing to smaller niches) many years ago, when most viewers were still mostly focused on broadcast network programming, with the ascendancy of cable as a functional equivalent for most viewers' needs, that changed, and it has been like that for a number of years.

Just to tack onto this, USA pays a fortune for those SVU episodes so they want to get their monies worth. Even more than that though they are huge ratings winners when looking at syndicated ratings. They show them a lot because that is what people want to watch.

My only beef is that there are almost 400 SVU episodes and I seem to catch the same ones all of the time.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:25 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
Just change the channel. So simple even a cave man could do it.

If they keep showing something, then someone must like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV