Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:58 AM

5,515 posts, read 7,107,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
No one is 'forcing' you to watch Badlands. And if you know anything about networks, they almost always release new shows immediately following a well established one with good ratings for the first week or two in the hopes that people will stay to see what the new show is all about. Then they often move that show to another slot where it becomes its regular time slot. All networks do it so its nothing new.

Normally this isn't an issue except with TWD there's Talking Dead afterwards so now for a couple of more weeks you'll have to wait an hour later for TD with Badlands being shown after TWD. Not really a big deal I think. If you really have no interest in Badlands, just come back in an hour.
By holding the "scenes for next week" hostage until we watch the first 15 minutes of Badlands, Yes that is forcing us to watch it!

like I said, Eff AMC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 11:05 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I enjoyed the martial arts scenes but thought the story line was flat, the characters were one-dimensional, and the acting was mediocre. I'll watch a few more episodes to see if it gets any better.

These are my thoughts as well.
I've seen this tired plotline before.
The action sequences are decent but the "whoosh whoosh" sounds are overdone.
When a person moves his hands: "whoosh whoosh".
Turning his head quickly: "whoosh whoosh".

Old 11-16-2015, 11:28 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
No one is 'forcing' you to watch Badlands. And if you know anything about networks, they almost always release new shows immediately following a well established one with good ratings for the first week or two in the hopes that people will stay to see what the new show is all about. Then they often move that show to another slot where it becomes its regular time slot. All networks do it so its nothing new.

Normally this isn't an issue except with TWD there's Talking Dead afterwards so now for a couple of more weeks you'll have to wait an hour later for TD with Badlands being shown after TWD. Not really a big deal I think. If you really have no interest in Badlands, just come back in an hour.
You'll notice I put force in quotes which means I wasn't actually trying to convey that some hired AMC goon forced his way into my home and held me at gunpoint to watch some damn show. No need for any lame lesson on "how it works."

The problem is, the show premiered BETWEEN TWD and TD, which is exactly a cheap trick to try to piggyback on TWD viewers who are a captive audience that is used to the discussion show immediately following what they just watched. As well as putting imbedding the "scenes from the next episode" within the Badlands premier. Doing that takes the "edge" and freshness off of Talking and probably made its numbers suffer because some people won't wait. Talking Dead depends on the momentum built up by TWD and benefits from IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:38 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,607,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
You'll notice I put force in quotes which means I wasn't actually trying to convey that some hired AMC goon forced his way into my home and held me at gunpoint to watch some damn show.

Only CBS resorts to such tactics. It's easier, because most of their audience is elderly and homebound.

"Virgil, I don't care if you'd rather to do the Jumble in today's paper; you WILL watch NCIS: Schenectady tonight!"

I think Into the Badlands has potential. The concept is good. I'll admit that I didn't pay as close attention as I usually do to shows while it was on. I'll have to watch it again to know for sure if I like it or not.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:

The problem is, the show premiered BETWEEN TWD and TD, which is exactly a cheap trick to try to piggyback on TWD viewers who are a captive audience that is used to the discussion show immediately following what they just watched. As well as putting imbedding the "scenes from the next episode" within the Badlands premier. Doing that takes the "edge" and freshness off of Talking and probably made its numbers suffer because some people won't wait. Talking Dead depends on the momentum built up by TWD and benefits from IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING.
It's going to be very annoying to watch the finale on Nov. 29, then have to stew for an entire hour before I get to process my feels through TD.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:04 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
I think Into the Badlands has potential. The concept is good. I'll admit that I didn't pay as close attention as I usually do to shows while it was on. I'll have to watch it again to know for sure if I like it or not.
Yes,, it occurred to me that it has exactly the same plot and setup of any of a dozen Japanese anime shows I have seen or started to watch. I guess it is "fresh" to see it live instead of drawn, but it I will keep watching for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
It's going to be very annoying to watch the finale on Nov. 29, then have to stew for an entire hour before I get to process my feels through TD.
Yes, that's totally it. The need to process and get the reaction is weakened if you have to wait and especially if you watch something else.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Yes,, it occurred to me that it has exactly the same plot and setup of any of a dozen Japanese anime shows I have seen or started to watch. I guess it is "fresh" to see it live instead of drawn, but it I will keep watching for now.

Yes, that's totally it. The need to process and get the reaction is weakened if you have to wait and especially if you watch something else.
Plus, now that I think of it, where I am concerned they do themselves a disservice by airing the show after TWD. I spent a lot of the time last night texting my fellow fan friends about the show, and I'll probably be doing the same thing after the midseason finale, so I won't be watching ITB very closely once again.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:22 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,755,476 times
Great superhero martial arts type nonsense but highly entertaining. Sword fighting is very inefficient compared to bows and arrows and projectiles. Then a baroness sending her best men for Slaughter just to get Sonnys attention is comic book villian textbook stupid. Enrtaining but stupid.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:54 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Quote:
I enjoyed it. I would rather they hadn't "forced" me to watch it by putting it in between TWD and TD but it was a pretty solid opening.
I felt the same as far as putting it between TWD and TTD, but probably the only way, I may have watched, so I guess good for them, just, not so good time especially with the sort of chad hanging in the wind moment and wanting to hear it discussed, I ended up missing my evening news program and still barely listed in since the guess on TTD seemed off the deep end. Really bad idea if they're going to air this after TWD finale though.

But, I will be watching this again, some very interesting characters, the fight scenes nice choreographed, like a beautiful dance, very artful even with all the blood.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:15 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,755,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I felt the same as far as putting it between TWD and TTD, but probably the only way, I may have watched, so I guess good for them, just, not so good time especially with the sort of chad hanging in the wind moment and wanting to hear it discussed, I ended up missing my evening news program and still barely listed in since the guess on TTD seemed off the deep end. Really bad idea if they're going to air this after TWD finale though.

But, I will be watching this again, some very interesting characters, the fight scenes nice choreographed, like a beautiful dance, very artful even with all the blood.
I like it . its campy fun compared to TWD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV