Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 08:51 AM

17,555 posts, read 15,208,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Well, since i've completely forgotten him, then yeah, I'd say he wasn't memorable.

OK. I Googled him. You meant Trashcan Man. Yes, he was awesome. But then, Max Headroom always is.
Sorry.. That was intended as a pause.. Frewer as Trash.. Then also the guy who played the Rat Man, who I haven't seen anywhere else.. Oh.. Good reason I haven't seen him recently.. He died in 1995.

Quote:
I didn't like her. But not because of San Giacomo. It wasn't her fault. The part was written as too frantic and obviously crazy. There was a lot more subtlety in the book.
More a fault of the screenplay than the actress, IMO.. Remember, they basically combined Nadine and Rita Blakemoor for the miniseries. Originally, in the book, Larry met and left NY with Rita, who ODed on the trip, then he met Nadine and Joe.. In the miniseries, Larry and Nadine left NY, she left him, then he met Lucy and Joe.

Quote:
He started out that way. But he became more. I like Ferrer as an actor a lot. He was just miscast here. Lloyd Henried was a manic redneck. Ferrer can play manic. Redneck? Not so much.
Again, probably more a fault of the screenplay.. The book, he got smarter over time.. The miniseries, he just was smart from the start.. Though, they did touch on him getting smarter, because if you see him portrayed with Poke and in the jail, he is an idiot.. But past that, he's smart. Was he perfect? No. But I did enjoy him in the role.

The book, and the basic story hold up incredibly well. I certainly think that they can make and excellent movie series out of it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 01:52 AM

6,566 posts, read 6,729,022 times
What a wonderful first show. Beautiful cinematography.....felt like I was in 1960. Some really tense & surprising situations our time traveler finds himself in. The push-back from "time" is more personalized than in the book & more deadly. This pilot show really gets an A+ from me. Loved it.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 02-16-2016 at 02:02 AM..

Old 02-17-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
What a wonderful first show. Beautiful cinematography.....felt like I was in 1960. Some really tense & surprising situations our time traveler finds himself in. The push-back from "time" is more personalized than in the book & more deadly. This pilot show really gets an A+ from me. Loved it.
Watched it last night.. I was entertained.. Stayed up until 2:30am watching it.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:17 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,173,222 times
Very interested in the JFK case, and I did read Stephen King's book 11/22/63 several years back.

I definitely plan on watching the series at some point, but will probably wait until all of the episodes are available & when I have enough time to binge-watch this.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:08 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,800,436 times
An entertaining first episode. Some thoughts:

*Chris Cooper is fantastic.
*The period-piece aspect of it is gorgeous to look at.
*Looking forward to seeing what happens with Yellow Card Man (I haven't read the book and doubt I ever will, so I don't know).
*I'm not real wild about the whole "The past doesn't want to be ****ed with!" thing, but if I can muster the suspension of disbelief for time travel then, fine, I'll deal with it.
*James Franco is really nailing the subtlety of the role of the reluctant guy who is doing it because he just wants to do right by an old friend.
*The CGI is very good - the broad cityscapes of 1960.
*Love how they dig up all those period automobiles (alas, they almost always look too good because, hey, almost all of the cars from the period that actually run are restored pieces is immaculate shape).
*Time travel is tricky. So far, I'm not seeing this on par with 12 Monkeys or Looper, two particularly thoughtful dealings with the topic (kudos, Bruce Willis), but I give it a solid grade of 'B'.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:10 PM

So, apparently Hulu is posting these shows at 12:01am Monday.. I watched this weeks' episode about 1:30am last night..

This episode.. Weak. I can't think of any way that someone from current day would react that way. "Hey, guy who was asking tons of questions about me that knows I'm a murderer, come on out to this Meat Processing plant with me and my two redneck buddies for a bit"

It seemed there was next to no plot development. This seemed like an episode stretched out to make 8..

Old 02-24-2016, 12:46 AM

6,566 posts, read 6,729,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So, apparently Hulu is posting these shows at 12:01am Monday.. I watched this weeks' episode about 1:30am last night..

This episode.. Weak. I can't think of any way that someone from current day would react that way. "Hey, guy who was asking tons of questions about me that knows I'm a murderer, come on out to this Meat Processing plant with me and my two redneck buddies for a bit"

It seemed there was next to no plot development. This seemed like an episode stretched out to make 8..
I think this episode should not have spent the whole hour on this family issue; considering the enormity of the JFK mission. With there only being 8 shows in the series it seemed like a waste of valuable time, but for what it's worth I think the episode was interesting....just not interesting in the overall framework of the story being told.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:07 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,207,950 times
I am conflicted about watching this. I love Steven King. I hate JJ Abrams. I love alternative time line movies. I hate JJ Abrams. I love good cinematography, I hate JJ Abrams. I will wait and see how it plays out on the forum before watching.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:13 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,282,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spchtx View Post
The book was painful. I kept reading it, hoping it would get better. I think it would have been a 1000 times better if it was half the length it was. No interest in seeing the series.
You are the first person I've come across to say this.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:16 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,282,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The Stand is the only one that I can think of that was really, really good.. And surprisingly good since it was on basic TV. Supposedly they're going to remake that as a 4 part feature film over the next few years. Which.. Oddly.. I think may be disappointing.. How do you do better casting that? Ruby Dee, Ossie Davis, Gary Sinise, Molly Ringwald, Matt Frewer, Ray Walston.. They were just cast so perfectly. There were a few misses.. Jamey Sheridan was OK as Flagg.. Corin Nemic wasn't good as Harold Lauder

Some of the adaptations.. Stand by Me and Shawshank were quite good.

Green Mile was disappointing, but OK.. Misery, the movie was good.. I never read the book, though.
They could have done much better casting work for the roles of Frannie, Nadine, Harold, Randall Flagg, Trashcan Man, Larry Underwood and Nick Andros.

I thought Stu Redman and Mother Abigail were perfect.

I agree about Stand by Me and Shawshank. Misery was also very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV