Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 10:27 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,398,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
I have watched enough of the show, the original one, to know I am not interested. They were a train wreck before the scandal was broke to the media. Now they are just scrambling to reclaim their former "spot" in the TLC exploitation merry-go-round. TLC wants the audience, train wreck sells .....screen time to the masses.
Now, two of the daughters, are making their own attempts to TLC fame and fortune.
Greed. Attention. Exploitation. Cultish behaviors and lifestyles.
They just have their clothes on.

I don't have cable/satellite. I refuse to pay $$ for what they have to offer.
Very valid points, moxiegal. I wouldn't pay to see them either.

The only points I slightly disagree with, is these two girls didn't negotiate the show. If they did, no parent, sister-in-law or sibling should be shown. But we know that isn't true. Some cites are reporting there will be recycled material of the old shows in the specials.

I agree with you 100% that TLC wants them on the air. Reportedly, TLC has lost millions since they stopped showing them. Again, who will sponsor them from the companies that already left?

I agree with you about the greed too and fame. There was no way a high school grad parent and a GED prepared parent could feed and cloth 19 kids. Reproduction became their *talent*?!?

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 10:54 AM

9,892 posts, read 9,530,320 times
i refuse to watch them one iota.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:22 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,174,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
i refuse to watch them one iota.
ditto

Old 12-07-2015, 01:13 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,909,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
They are a force for evil on the planet. We need to discuss that. I am going to coin a new concept: Rational Terrorism. That's when people evade and avoid reality and refuse to use Reason, preferring irrational emotion and mysticism instead. This leads to behaviors that bring down society and threaten our way of life.

So, in the case at hand, the Duggars, we have a behavior that we can identify as Reproductive Exhibitionism. Which leads to excessive children who do not get the proper attention and in effect have their minds and spirits left intentionally underdeveloped by planned neglect.

I would categorize this as Rational Terrorism. An attack on Reason.
Can we include encouraging overpopulation ?

Frankly, I think anyone who enjoyed that drivel in the first place HAS to be the most boring people alive. Why on earth would I be entertained by people spewing forth children like cockroaches ? I can get that just fine wandering around your average Squalmart. There's nothing entertaining about that IMO.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:18 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,398,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Can we include encouraging overpopulation ?

Frankly, I think anyone who enjoyed that drivel in the first place HAS to be the most boring people alive. Why on earth would I be entertained by people spewing forth children like cockroaches ? I can get that just fine wandering around your average Squalmart. There's nothing entertaining about that IMO.
Bandon, I don't judge others who watch. TLC puts such a great spin on them it's possible some thought they would learn parenting or home management tips etc. Some don't want tv programming that is violent or full of profanity etc.

Remember, this family hides so much including their connection to Quiverfull. It's not just tv. Many of us here at CDF worked hard contacting TLC, their sponsors (about 20 big companies) to get them off the air. This family will never work on their issues as long as they are *in the limelight* because, to them, reportedly that is validation for how *wonderful* viewers, readers etc. think they are. They have plenty to work on.

No person or family is perfect; however, having a smaller amount of children at least gives the parents opportunities to be parents instead of following the Qfull guidelines of having the oldest kids care for the youngest ones.

I think it is one thing to have watched for whatever reason before (some could ask if Pro Football has the same redeeming value and other shows); however, I think watching them now post the revelations of the oldest son sexually abusing five girls, including four of his sisters, is supporting their hypocrisy. As more of the family's behavior has come out like not getting their kids appropriate sexual abuse counseling, canceling an appointment with Law Enforcement to report Josh's crimes, the parents not informing Law Enforcement until it was too late for Josh to be reported etc. are all new pieces of information previous viewers didn't have. Now they do.

Then learning about Josh's infidelity, Internet Accounts, including his Ashley Madison account and his hook ups with prostitutes and others was not information the public, sponsors and probably even TLC knew until July -August. And now having one prostitute filing a $500, 000 lawsuit against Josh, I think TLC has lost their judgement and any logic they had. I wouldn't put any version of them on the air.

I've resisted posting this for several months. During that time it has been edited down from about six minutes to just over one minute. This was when Michelle Duggar's *Advice to Women About How to Keep a Happy Marriage* hit the net. She stuck with her traditional line, "Anyone can fix your (husband) a sandwich to eat. Only you can meet his needs whether at lunchtime, or if it has been a long day and your tired or even if you're sick." She said more equally disgusting stuff to me and apparently some others too.

This is Sharon Osbourne, of The Talk, saying exactly what she thinks of them (the parents):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ycUuhp45sjs

MSR

Old 12-08-2015, 03:22 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,311,700 times
I dunno. My roommate used to watch the Duggars because she thought it was interesting, but I just found it terribly depressing. It's a world I would never have survived in, and I wonder how many of the happy-faced kids on that show are secretly dying inside.

I grew up to reject much of my parents' values based on my wider exposure to the world and my close observations of their behavior. I was miserable when I tried to conform to my parents' values rather than my own value system. But my parents gave me the freedom and education to develop that. We may not agree on much, but I love them fiercely because they let me be me.

And I'm actually quite close with my parents, despite the fact that I don't live near them and don't share many of their beliefs. I know there are a ton of kids who have absentee parents or parents who are abusive or just otherwise deficient, but watching the Duggars, it just seems more depressing to me because the parents are kind of just out of reach to the kids.

I am an only child. Some of my greatest memories are the trips with just my father and me, where we went hiking in the swamp where he spent his childhood or took his hounds out for a run. And even though my mother and I don't have the cuddliest relationship, we do have many days we spent with just the two of us, talking and doing fun stuff together. I feel like the Duggar kids don't have that one-on-one time. I have people in my life with lots of kids, and they can still give that kind of attention to their kids, but with nearly 20 siblings, how can the Duggar children get that? I feel like this Quiverfull movement is a warping of what it means to be a parent.

It seems like such a bleak existence to me.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:56 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,441,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I dunno. My roommate used to watch the Duggars because she thought it was interesting, but I just found it terribly depressing. It's a world I would never have survived in, and I wonder how many of the happy-faced kids on that show are secretly dying inside.

I grew up to reject much of my parents' values based on my wider exposure to the world and my close observations of their behavior. I was miserable when I tried to conform to my parents' values rather than my own value system. But my parents gave me the freedom and education to develop that. We may not agree on much, but I love them fiercely because they let me be me.

And I'm actually quite close with my parents, despite the fact that I don't live near them and don't share many of their beliefs. I know there are a ton of kids who have absentee parents or parents who are abusive or just otherwise deficient, but watching the Duggars, it just seems more depressing to me because the parents are kind of just out of reach to the kids.

I am an only child. Some of my greatest memories are the trips with just my father and me, where we went hiking in the swamp where he spent his childhood or took his hounds out for a run. And even though my mother and I don't have the cuddliest relationship, we do have many days we spent with just the two of us, talking and doing fun stuff together. I feel like the Duggar kids don't have that one-on-one time. I have people in my life with lots of kids, and they can still give that kind of attention to their kids, but with nearly 20 siblings, how can the Duggar children get that? I feel like this Quiverfull movement is a warping of what it means to be a parent.

It seems like such a bleak existence to me.
I agree. A lot of us used to watch just hoping that one of them would break free. There is an entire website called "Free Ginger".

Old 12-09-2015, 07:29 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I agree. A lot of us used to watch just hoping that one of them would break free. There is an entire website called "Free Ginger".
Well, appallingly, I just read this:

Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar Planning To Adopt 20th Child, Inspired By '5 Day Adoption' Film - Starpulse.com

Would any agency really adopt out a child to Jim Bob and Michelle after what happened with Josh molesting his sisters?

Old 12-09-2015, 07:37 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,814,411 times
What is it with these people who have to put every part of their life on television?

Old 12-09-2015, 10:59 AM

4,975 posts, read 5,242,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post

I've resisted posting this for several months. During that time it has been edited down from about six minutes to just over one minute. This was when Michelle Duggar's *Advice to Women About How to Keep a Happy Marriage* hit the net. She stuck with her traditional line, "Anyone can fix your (husband) a sandwich to eat. Only you can meet his needs whether at lunchtime, or if it has been a long day and your tired or even if you're sick." She said more equally disgusting stuff to me and apparently some others too.

MSR
Do you know the Duggars in real life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV