Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 07:57 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Me too. I enjoyed the show but I don't worship at an alter. It's sad when someone can't relax and enjoy a show because they feel they have to either absolutely love it or hate it and there is no in between. Not liking a show others like does not make one superior any more than liking it makes one special.

Being rabid one way or another is giving a show equal amounts of attention. Eye of the beholder.
Agree. That poster does that often, too. He actually seems to seek out mentions of shows he dislikes, which IMO is just sad. There are a lot of shows I think of as overrated but others find them entertaining. For example, I think Girls is awful and Lena Dunham is annoying. But I don't troll their thread yelling at people that they just aren't smart enough to get why the show sucks, or whatever.

It's odd for someone to basically launch a campaign against such shows. Just don't watch them and move on with your life. What is it really hurting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 05:00 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Without regard to one specific poster's pattern of posting, I think there is something to discuss with regard to Firefly. There is no need for a thread devoid of discernment. The question of the thread is "What made Firefly so great?" so answers like "the idea of the series rather than its actual quality" are legitimate -- and important. Firefly's popularity and cult-like following probably wouldn't have happened now. The Whedon family, all by itself, produces so much top-shelf content these days that that feeling of desperate thirst that many fans had back in 2002, which very well may be what's underlying the affinity for the series, doesn't exist today, and therefore Firefly, if it premiered today, probably would have ended up as a footnote. Revolution will probably end up being forgotten, but as far as I'm concerned was as unique and interesting as Firefly, if not more so. The fact that Revolution premiered in 2012 instead of 2002 makes the difference.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:34 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
I finally watched the series and movie over the summer, after listening to hype from friends. It's really pretty awful. Badly written and the acting is not good. None of it made much sense. I wasn't impressed at all.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:37 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
The characters made the show.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:04 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
I loved it! I like sci fi though. Great cast, light hearted, funny...it's not Shakespeare but what show on TV is?

Old 12-13-2015, 05:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I know someone who will deem any show she doesn't like as "bad" and any show she likes as "good" and you had best not argue with her. There is no getting her to admit that her opinion is just her opinion and her opinion doesn't make anything either good or bad. She said the movie "Frozen" was bad and no one would go see it not knowing that it had already won multiple awards and was the most watched Disney movie to date. It's okay she didn't care for it but to say it was a bad movie just because it wasn't her cup of tea was the epitome of arrogance.

There are people who are like that. They truly believe that if they don't like something it can't be good and those who do like it must be stupid or have no taste. That's how they show their narrow mindedness. A truly intelligent person knows there are many thoughts and ways to look at something. A narrow minded person denies there can be other points of view.

I don't have to like what someone else likes and vice versa but they don't get to tell me it's bad just because they don't see in it what I see in it.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:00 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Consider the Godfather. It is essentially the tale of a dying king trying to decide which of his sons is most worthy to inherit the kingdom.
You know, I was buying into what you were saying...Fire Fly wasn't actually that great. Sure it had it's fans, but it didn't really break new ground.

Then you had to muff the Godfather synopsis.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:01 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
You know, I was buying into what you were saying...Fire Fly wasn't actually that great. Sure it had it's fans, but it didn't really break new ground.

How so?

Old 12-15-2015, 12:19 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
My husband and I watched the first episode years ago and were bored. We never actually finished the episode. To this day people are constantly telling me it is a show I would love. I've thought about giving it another chance, but I haven't seen it on Netflix or Hulu.

I will say this, I love how fanatic the fans are about this series. When I went to comic con a few years ago, I met some people who were dressed up as characters from the show and they just raved about the show. It was cool to hear from them what they loved and hated about the show.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:04 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Quote:
How so?
Quote:
Consider the Godfather. It is essentially the tale of a dying king trying to decide which of his sons is most worthy to inherit the kingdom. Very medieval.
It is not a tale of a dying king trying to decide which of his sons is most worthy to inherit the kingdom.

The tale of the Godfather is the story of Michael Corleone, a smart young man with a bright future ahead of him who is drawn into a life of crime in order to protect his family. Roughly speaking, he's Anakin Skywalker, corrupted to the Dark Side (but the story is better).

Michael wasn't supposed to be in "the family business". The oldest brother Sonny was already heir apparent and the second brother Fredo was also part of the family business, albeit in a minor role. Michael, the youngest brother, wasn't involved in any of the family dealings - he was a Dartmouth man, a Marine volunteer, a war hero, the recipient of a battlefield commission to the rank of captain, awarded a Silver Star for heroism, his story is featured in Life Magazine. In the world of the Mafia, Michael was considered a civilian and therefore theoretically safe from harm from the other Families. No one ever expected Michael to ever become involved in the family business, including Michael.

But Sonny screws up during a meeting between Vito Corleone and Virgil Sollozzo, publicly disagreeing with his father's decision to not make a deal with the drug lord, and setting the stage for two assassination attempts on Don Corleone. During the first assassination attempt on Don Corleone, Fredo proves to be either incompetent or a coward. During the second assassination attempt, Michael manages to thwart the killers. Michael gets drawn into the dark dealings of the resultant mob war because he wants to protect his father and he realizes that he's the only one who can get close to Sollozzo to kill him.

After Fredo gets shipped out to Las Vegas and Sonny gets killed, it's just a matter of time until Michael becomes the Don of the Corleone Family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV