Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 10:55 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times

Advertisements

Anyone else freaked out by some of the commercials?

The drug commercials are always strange, but especially (to me) the one with the gray and white "cats."
The "Wake" and "Sleep" digital creatures are so over the top.

And then there's the snot bubble, mucous thing; in the movie theatre. What? Eww.
I do love how digital has improved so many things. But the freaky new creatures they imaginatively create
are way overboard, imho.

You guys have any examples of commercials that are just too strange?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 04:59 PM

72 posts, read 69,817 times
Yes, the one that has the cone head dude calling State Farm in the middle of the night.
Weird!

Old 12-18-2015, 10:30 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,982,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post

The drug commercials are always strange, but especially (to me) the one with the gray and white "cats."

And then there's the snot bubble, mucous thing; in the movie theatre. What? Eww.
I do love how digital has improved so many things. But the freaky new creatures they imaginatively create
are way overboard, imho.

I leave the room when those damn cats come out. They really give me the creeps. Seriously.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:48 PM

403 posts, read 472,855 times
It's a commercial on Nick@Nite that comes on after 1am and all I hear is "one more time" and it's repeated 3 times.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:02 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
I think all the mesh implant and other "if you or a loved one had" this reaction or death call the Law Firm of (fill in the blank) commercials really bother me.

I also get really annoyed by the drug commercials for Rx drugs where the list of side effects and "don't take if...." is longer than the good reasons for taking the drug. I think only the US and Australia allow Rx TV commercials. I wonder if they didn't spend so much on TV ads, the price of the meds would go down....

Old 12-18-2015, 11:05 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,551 times
The creepy Restasis commercials for "chronic dry eye" with fembot Dr. Allison Tendler are weird. She seems to be trying to hypnotize the patients (actors) in it, as well as the viewing public. It's very odd, because she is rather young and attractive, but I just get this really strange vibe from her. Has anyone else seen them? There are at least 2 or 3 with this lady, but in every one she is weird and comes across as somewhat sinister...

I also agree about the "wake" and "sleep" cats one. It's weird, and goofy too. It's so true that many pharma commercials are odd. It makes me wonder if the people who came up with the ideas for them did a bit too much experimentation with pharmaceuticals of the illegal varieties, especially those three-letter ones that were popular in the 1960s, lol!

Old 12-18-2015, 11:08 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
haha, I think those sleep and wake cats are freaky too!

But I like Jake from State Farm and his "uh, khakis".

Old 12-19-2015, 09:11 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post

are way overboard, imho.

YES YES - that sleep commercial thing gives me nightmares. Ewwww.
And then, after all the prancing around of these mutant creatures, they tell you to beware of sleep walking, sleep driving and sleep eating. Personally, I'd rather have insomnia than SLEEP DRIVE!

OK kids - this is one of my specialty areas -- HOW TO GET SLEEP: Do NOT play video games, watch TV or get on your computer for at least an hour to 90 minutes before bed. The pixels on the TV screens (especially HD TV) and the bright computer screens wreak havoc with your neurons. Also, video games right before bed activate all your adrenals and put your body in full attack alert. Bad for getting to bed. Another trick, start to turn the lights down. Turn bright lights off in other rooms. Play soft music. Your brain is hardwired to sleep when the sun goes down. Mimic that in the house and you'll sleep so much better. If you have 'monkey mind' -- that is, your brain is going full speed ahead, here's a trick: take out a piece of paper and write it all down. Don't use the computer (you may need to shred this!!) The act of writing it down will tell your brain you have dumped it out and you won't need to hold onto it while you tried to sleep.

There. You are welcome. No need for creepy mutant cats and dogs. No sleep driving. No sleep eating (though that's a good excuse for my holiday weight gain!! hmmmmm.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I think all the mesh implant and other "if you or a loved one had" this reaction or death call the Law Firm of (fill in the blank) commercials really bother me.

I also get really annoyed by the drug commercials for Rx drugs where the list of side effects and "don't take if...." is longer than the good reasons for taking the drug. I think only the US and Australia allow Rx TV commercials. I wonder if they didn't spend so much on TV ads, the price of the meds would go down....
Yes - here's the formula: SCARE US. Tell us something we can't pronounce (what's that spondyloytis echoism ridiculousness disease they want us to ask our doctor about???) Then tell us they can solve a problem we didn't know we had (make your teeth nordic-ice-white anyone?) and then tell us we have to take care of it right away with their product. Then - "OH, by the way, here's a list of 3,000 potential side effects that are 20 times worse than the problem... but no worries, we have pills for those, too!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
The creepy Restasis commercials for "chronic dry eye" with fembot Dr. Allison Tendler are weird. She seems to be trying to hypnotize the patients (actors) in it, as well as the viewing public. It's very odd, because she is rather young and attractive, but I just get this really strange vibe from her. Has anyone else seen them? There are at least 2 or 3 with this lady, but in every one she is weird and comes across as somewhat sinister...

I also agree about the "wake" and "sleep" cats one. It's weird, and goofy too. It's so true that many pharma commercials are odd. It makes me wonder if the people who came up with the ideas for them did a bit too much experimentation with pharmaceuticals of the illegal varieties, especially those three-letter ones that were popular in the 1960s, lol!
I'm glad you said that. I thought it was just me! Fembot. Love it.
illegal experimentation is right. Or they are mutants who aren't affected by these drugs.

I actually don't have TV. But I watch my favorite shows online. Now that net neutrality (neutrality my *****) passed, I can't watch some shows unless I sign on with my TV provider. Ummmm, If I HAD TV I wouldn't be watching it online!! Passive aggressive punishment. But even if you sign on with a provider you still are slammed with ad after ad after ad. So I don't get the need for signing on.

Sorry - that was OT. The creepy thing about watching online is that the ad comes on for 30 seconds, then it comes on again, and then again. You can't fast forward, so I'm good with the mute button. The Geico commercials are funny the first time. Then dumb. The elevator one is weird.

The "Showhole" commercial is just downright awful and creepy. What's funny is I don't even know what that ad is for, I can never make it past the woman who knitted herself into a sweater. So it doesn't serve the company at all.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:06 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
I like the "sleep" kitty and the "awake" dog. They are not both cats.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:17 AM

2,322 posts, read 923,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
If you have 'monkey mind' -- that is, your brain is going full speed ahead, here's a trick: take out a piece of paper and write it all down. Don't use the computer (you may need to shred this!!) The act of writing it down will tell your brain you have dumped it out and you won't need to hold onto it while you tried to sleep.

There. You are welcome. No need for creepy mutant cats and dogs. No sleep driving. No sleep eating (though that's a good excuse for my holiday weight gain!! hmmmmm.)
This is actually a huge tip. I read this in a book on productivity and it has worked for me. Not only to help in getting to sleep but in relieving your brain from the stress on having to remember (if that makes any sense)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I like the "sleep" kitty and the "awake" dog. They are not both cats.
These guys are on tv? Here I thought I had dreamt them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV