Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 11:08 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times

Advertisements

Did anyone watch Making a Murderer? The Netflix documentary was filmed over a ten-year period. I found it both addictive and extremely disturbing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/ar...av=bottom-well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 02:50 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
I live in WI, I remember this story well. It's weird because a couple of my friends are watching this & seem surprised by the outcome. It's not like it was a fictional story, it all really happened & was on the news continuously. I watched maybe 4 episodes but got bored to be honest. Maybe it's because I already know what happened.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:43 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,786,894 times
I watched it from beginning to end. There was a lot of hinky nonsense in both Avery's and Dassey's cases. I'm most perplexed by the vial of blood with the purple stopper... and the fact that there is a hole in that stopper the size and shape of a hypodermic needle. The fact that the evidence kit from Avery was tampered with at all is very disturbing. This puts reasonable doubt in my mind.

I assumed I would watch this documentary and retain my opinion that Avery and Dassey were guilty. (I'm also a WI resident and remember the cases being all over TV and newspapers during the trials.) But having watched it, I have to admit that with the amount of poor procedure and mishandling, I've changed my opinion. I don't know if they are truly guilty or not, but I do believe their cases were mismanaged horribly.

Len Kachinsky should have been disbarred for his lack of ethics. The man is a buffoon, inept, and obviously is part of a "good old boys" club. He had no intention of representing Dassey well. To allow an intellectually challenged 16 year old to be interrogated by the police without an attorney present is ridiculous.

There are a lot of unanswered questions. If Avery and Dassey are truly innocent, that means that there is a homicidal person still at large. And if this truly was a case of police framing innocent people, then none of us are safe. It could happen to anyone at any time and that's disturbing, too.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:17 PM

99,552 posts, read 4,490,935 times
An excellent documentary. I went in knowing nothing about the case. Very disturbing and the case was obviously mishandled. The interrogation of Dassey without counsel was infuriating.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:15 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
I am watching it now. I cheated and googled the outcome. Disturbing. So many parts of it disturbing.
Len Kachinsky--horrible.

I just can't believe the Jury could convict him. How could they not have reasonable doubt?

Disturbing that the killer is still out there. Disturbing the ex boyfriend was not questioned along with the roommate. What were the phone messages that got deleted? So many unanswered questions. Very disturbing and scary it could happen.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:07 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
Remember what happened to Laurie Bembenek?

Really doubting Wisconsins judicial system.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:22 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,344 times
The poor Dassey kid was the worst part for me. He told the cops he raped a woman, slit her throat, and then helped burn her body and wanted to know if he would be back at school for sixth period because he had a project due. He obviously did not have the cognitive ability to understand what was happening to him. And then his lawyer Len and the investigator guy were just disgusting people.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:53 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
I finished the series yesterday. There was so much misconduct and mishandling done by the police/prosecution. It's infuriating that with so many gaping holes in their case, they still succeeded in convicting both men. Do I believe it possible they did it? Yes, but certainly not beyond a reasonable doubt. In fact I'd have tremendous doubts about sending both men away based on the cases presented by the state. It shows the length the state will go for the sake of just bagging another successful prosecution. It's actually frightening.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:44 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,778 times
I started this last night and just finished.

I find the whole thing so sad. So many families ruined. While the case against Steven Avery has so many holes, I cannot believe the conviction against Brendan Dassey. I've taught students with very low IQs and it always broke my heart. He was just trying to please them and go back to his life. He had no idea the implications of what he was saying, or even that he was confessing. The conversation between Brendan and his mom where neither of them knows what 'inconsistent' means made me so sad.

I'm not naive enough to believe that the documentary wasn't biased. I can't sit here and say that Steven Avery is completely innocent (but I cannot fathom how 12 jurors decided he was guilty without doubt!), but I admire his persistence. Taking on his case on his own, with his limited intellectual abilities, is admirable.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:16 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I started this last night and just finished.

I find the whole thing so sad. So many families ruined. While the case against Steven Avery has so many holes, I cannot believe the conviction against Brendan Dassey. I've taught students with very low IQs and it always broke my heart. He was just trying to please them and go back to his life. He had no idea the implications of what he was saying, or even that he was confessing. The conversation between Brendan and his mom where neither of them knows what 'inconsistent' means made me so sad.

I'm not naive enough to believe that the documentary wasn't biased. I can't sit here and say that Steven Avery is completely innocent (but I cannot fathom how 12 jurors decided he was guilty without doubt!), but I admire his persistence. Taking on his case on his own, with his limited intellectual abilities, is admirable.
Steven Avery unlike Brendan is a survivor...he may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but he has a shrewdness about him that poor Brendan didn't...I think I would have found Avery guilty based on the fact if not him then who??? The bus driver is an objective witness she saw the victim's car parked outside his trailer and her cell phone activity stopped at that exact time...she was never seen or heard from again...throw away all the dna if you like...that's enough for me...he was the last person to see her alive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV