Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 07:01 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,045,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I liked it well enough. It was more like network miniseries quality rather than Masterpiece Theater quality. This is something you might find on a cable channel or The History Channel when that channel throws in an occasional history drama. Not up to the usual Sunday PBS line up, but I plan to see the rest of it. I don't know any of the actors, but they all had that beautiful people look. Too much 21st century make-up look on the women.
Gary Cole, the owner of the hotel, is a pretty well known actor.
Donna Murphy, his wife, is also pretty well known, but it was hard to recognize her with her outfit.
Brian - I forget his last name - an older gentleman - has been in a few other series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 07:12 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Normally after reading comments like those above about how terrible the accents are, I'd have noticed it when I finally watched the episode last night. I didn't. Much ado about nothing.

The program was good - very watchable, and I want to know what happens next. Will it be the next Downton Abbey - no. It doesn't need to be.

I disagree. It was Masterpiece quality. What it wasn't was British. It was an American production. This was most notable by how the episode was broken up into acts. (Does anyone remember the last time PBS presented an American-made period drama? I cannot.)

Regardless, it was just as good as the British productions, just American. By the same token, it is reasonable to develop a personal preference for British productions, specifically - like some people like British comedy rather than American comedy. So that personal preference will color perceptions.

I agree with all of this and yes there is no need to compare it to DA because it wont be another DA , nor should it be . There will be another series that most of us will like as well as DA I'm sure . I'm sure someone has something in mind or in the works for us DA fans . Nothing can last forever and I think they want to end before something happens to some of the older cast members and not be left in a lurch in case one of them were to God forbid pass on . I'm glad they are ending it on a high note and not a sad one . Be happy for these actors and actresses because they will go on to something else they like as well . I'm sure they were sad to be leaving people they had worked with for the past 6 yrs . Let us now enjoy Mercy Street for what it is a civil war drama and a tv show that is all .

Old 01-19-2016, 07:28 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
I like Gary Cole but not enough to just want to see him on this program.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:43 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
The key to this series is almost surely going to be Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Hannah James (and perhaps very deliberately so).

Old 01-19-2016, 09:18 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I didn't get the impression that it is presented from "The South's perspective". Rather, it is situated in The South, in a city occupied by the North. I expect we'll see both sides represented. The doctor in charge is a Northerner who doesn't want to treat Southerners.
I felt it was presented from both perspectives.

Although a minor history buff, it's only been recently that I realized just how extensive Union presence was throughout coastal areas of the South during the Civil War, although I had been aware of their presence in various parts of Virginia, including Alexandria.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:42 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I felt it was presented from both perspectives.
Or really, neither: It was presented from a modern American perspective, categorically casing slavery and the rationalizations that surrounded the South's prosecution of the war as indefensible, and also taking time to recognize the transgressions against what we would consider today minimal civil conduct with regard to the North's treatment toward conquered Southerners.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:53 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,077,533 times
I watched the first episode and really liked it. I was surprised I did because I usually don't watch anything to do with wars. I think it will only get better with each episode.

"I doubt very seriously that a woman going out specifically to visit a war hospital would wear a dress of white lace with hoop skirts regardless of her family's income level"

When watching this I didn't think it was strange at all. I just saw her as a spoiled rich girl who would never think of going out in anything but a fancy dress and looking pretty. With the way she was brought up she had no clue what the real world is like. I think that was the whole point. Even though her parents forbid her to go back to the hospital I think her visit and talking to the nurse has given her a new perspective on life. My guess is she is going to find a way to go back to the hospital and it will change her life.

It is interesting to see the prejudice that was shown towards some of the soldiers and another race. It is hard to watch but unfortunately for those who lived it that was real life.

This is an article about the show that was in the LA Times

PBS' Civil War series 'Mercy Street' moves drama from battlefield to hospital - LA Times

Old 01-19-2016, 04:17 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
This is a definite change of pace. When did PBS become the "Public British System"?

Old 01-19-2016, 05:23 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times
It just wasn't good. I'd rather watch North and South Books I & II again. I pretend the third was never made.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:46 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
It just wasn't good. I'd rather watch North and South Books I & II again. I pretend the third was never made.
I have to agree, and it pains me to say so because I was really looking forward to this show. I am drawn to anything having to do with the Civil War, but this was really not very well written or acted. Very disappointed, but I won't be tuning in again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV