Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 06:24 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,175,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Not to get all Biblical but:

hei·nous

ˈhānəs/Submit
adjective

(of a person or wrongful act, especially a crime) utterly odious or wicked.

When did "divine" punishment become odious and wicked
Since when is Satan divine? He's ya know, Satan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Fine, then change the channel.
What a rousing defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 07:27 PM

7,233 posts, read 7,027,251 times
Lucifer was an angel.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Lucifer was an angel.
Who became the literal incarnation of evil. Hardly divine.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:02 AM

That's not how it's being presented in this show. He is the keeper of hell whose job is to punish those that have wronged god. Nowhere is he described as evil.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
That's not how it's being presented in this show. He is the keeper of hell whose job is to punish those that have wronged god. Nowhere is he described as evil.
You mean aside from the Bible?

Old 02-24-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
You mean aside from the Bible?
And if this show were a retelling of the bible that would be relevant. This is a tv show based on a comic book that takes some biblical ideas and reworks it for entertainment.

Nowhere in the show is he described as evil.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:21 PM

29,700 posts, read 34,246,140 times
Quote:
And if this show were a retelling of the bible that would be relevant. This is a tv show based on a comic book that takes some biblical ideas and reworks it for entertainment.

Nowhere in the show is he described as evil.
It's been a while since I took religion courses in college, but there is some scholarship that looks at Lucifer as simply a fallen angel and victim of too much free will. The notion of the evil devil demon has been exaggerated over the centuries by modern religion.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:04 PM

7,577 posts, read 5,304,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Since when is Satan divine?
Yes, depending upon which myth or Abrahamic sect you ascribe to.

Quote:
What a rousing defense.
I leave rousing defenses for issues where objective facts are in play, there are no objective facts in play when it comes to criticism of works of art.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:08 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,303,077 times
I enjoy the show, but I wish it had a few more fantastical elements other than his face going all demonic every once in a while or his eyes glowing red.

He definitely doesn't give the impression of being dangerous or scary -- he's more devilish than Satanic, if you get my meaning.

And without more development of the Satanic side of his nature, he's really nothing more than what he's presented as: a playboy with a lot of time on his hands who likes to investigate crimes for fun.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:42 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,723,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's been a while since I took religion courses in college, but there is some scholarship that looks at Lucifer as simply a fallen angel and victim of too much free will. The notion of the evil devil demon has been exaggerated over the centuries by modern religion.
I'm certainly not a Bible scholar, but I did read the whole Bible a few decades ago and, aside from some references to Lucifer "disobeying God" and encouraging Eve to eat the fruit, I don't recall any passages that portrays Lucifer as "evil" in any modern sense of the term. Disobedient/mischievous etc., yes, but I don't recall him purposefully causing pain just out of pure enjoyment for causing pain. Unless some Bible scholar is able to post some verses that clearly show Lucifer doing cruel, evil acts, I am, at the moment, inclined to think that the character in the TV show is probably not wildly inaccurate, even from a Biblical point of view. I wonder if the writers of the comic did some research and presented a fairly "realistic" (relative to Bible mythology) version of what Lucifer might be like, if incarnated. (Keeping in mind there is probably wide latitude for interpretation and the whole thing is based on mythology anyway.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV