Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 07:21 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I dont know how TNA survives as all its stars have jumped ship ,mostly to WWE/.
Agreed on WWE getting somewhat stagnant, not sure what they should do as they have all the talent to make an exciting show but it just doesn't work,i'm thinking its time for the Authority era to come to an end.
As for WWE being stagnant, I heard Shane McMahon storyline will do this. He didn't drop "I want control of RAW" for no reason whatsoever. It's foreshadowing something I hope cam freshen things up and give more former and current NXT talent a shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 11:42 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
I haven't watched regularly since the Rock/Austin/Angle era of WWE, but I can't help think there's just fewer people getting into it these days, and those who do may be hesitant to sign onto WWE (despite its status) given the short life expectancy of pro wrestlers and the McMahons' history of (not) taking care of their veterans.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
At the moment there are quite a few main stars out of action.
Seth Rawlins
Dan Bryan
Randy Orton
John Cena
Cesaro
Sting
Tyson Kid
Nikki Bella
Paige.
Lets hope a change in creative direction can also curtail the many injuries that permeate the game these days.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:45 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
At the moment there are quite a few main stars out of action.
Seth Rawlins
Dan Bryan
Randy Orton
John Cena
Cesaro
Sting
Tyson Kid
Nikki Bella
Paige.
Lets hope a change in creative direction can also curtail the many injuries that permeate the game these days.
Sting is old so that is something that can happen with an older Wrestler. Daniel Bryan had a lot of concussions based on his style. That's two that you can throw out as outliers. That said the rotator cuff injuries were too common in WWWE and NXT with Hideo Itami and Sami Zayn going down with them before Cena, Orton and Cesaro. I don't know what they can do to prevent that injury.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:27 PM

406 posts, read 288,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I haven't watched regularly since the Rock/Austin/Angle era of WWE, but I can't help think there's just fewer people getting into it these days, and those who do may be hesitant to sign onto WWE (despite its status) given the short life expectancy of pro wrestlers and the McMahons' history of (not) taking care of their veterans.
Same here. There are many reasons for the decline of WWE, the biggest of which:
  • WWE monopolized the wrestling industry by buying out there biggest competitors (WCW and ECW). The lack of competition both discourages the need for and lowers the threshold for creativity and innovation. With limited or nonexistent alternatives, fans and consumers lack negotiating power.
Obviously, this affects things like talent bookings and quality, creative writing, and even talent retention.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:33 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
Same here. There are many reasons for the decline of WWE, the biggest of which:
  • WWE monopolized the wrestling industry by buying out there biggest competitors (WCW and ECW). The lack of competition both discourages the need for and lowers the threshold for creativity and innovation. With limited or nonexistent alternatives, fans and consumers lack negotiating power.
Obviously, this affects things like talent bookings and quality, creative writing, and even talent retention.
I'll say this.. While, yes, in the end, this does all track back to the 'monopoly' that WWE currently enjoys at the root.. Remember that back in the Austin/Rock/Attitude Era.. The reason they went to that was to edge out WCW, which skewed to an older audience. Mainly, college-age.. Remember "Nitro Parties"?

Why was WWE able to do that? Well, they had the USA network on their side.. Who allowed them to push the envelope in most cases (For an example of when they didn't.. See the "Pillman's Got A Gun" angle).. But, mainly, it was because it was a private company. Vince owned it. Wrestling was pulling crazy numbers and while a few advertisers bailed.. So what? There were 10 others beating the door down to pay.

Then.. WWE went public. Which led to the "PG" era, because they were catering to young kids.. The ratings dropped.. So the pool of advertisers got smaller.. Then.. Even the not-really-controversial angles they tried, if they even had a touch on non-PC to them, raised a stink. See the "Billy and Chuck" angle for an example of that.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:07 PM

Kinda depressing when my kids ask me how was the wrestling (Raw or Smackdown) last night and i cant remember anything of note due to its mind numbing predictability.Not sure what can be done other than create better storylines, maybe its time for Vince to step aside and leave creative control to others.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:26 AM

Is John Cena done with wrestling? As i saw him co-hosting the Today show=
John Cena Returns To 'Today' On Monday

Old 04-02-2016, 03:30 AM

Wrestlemania tomorrow night, predictions are for over 100K at the arena.
WrestleMania 32 | www.wwe.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV